4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

4.6 to 5.4? need some help

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2006, 09:49 PM
joshafmil
4th Gear Member

Default 4.6 to 5.4? need some help

im looking into getting a 5.4 shortblock with forged internals for my 03 stang... it seems like a better idea then getting a foxbody because i can keep the car i have now (which i love so much)

my question is... im planning on getting it in about 2 years... and untill then i wanted to upgrade other parts of my car. so if i bought longtubes for my 4.6 block, would they fit up to the 5.4 block?

im also planning on getting dohc heads for it... so what else would i have to change. im hoping alot of my parts in the engine wont have to be swaped out.

or maybe i should ask, what should i upgrade and what shouldnt i... prior to getting the new block
Old 08-11-2006, 10:21 PM
blueherd02gt
5th Gear Member

Default RE: 4.6 to 5.4? need some help

I know of three people who have done this, all of them sold their cars.
Old 08-11-2006, 10:35 PM
ackuric
4th Gear Member

if you're throwing a diff type of short block in, just save up a few grand for a built monster, i wouldnt go 5.4 imo. can get a good engine for 4000-6000$.
Old 08-11-2006, 10:41 PM
blueherd02gt
5th Gear Member

+1
If you got some extra jack and you want a fast car why not get a cobra or an 05/06 gt just a car that will respond better to mods....I'm going through this delemma myself because if I'm gonna pour money in rebuilding a motor why not start with a better motor to make fast.
ORIGINAL: ackuric

if you're throwing a diff type of short block in, just save up a few grand for a built monster, i wouldnt go 5.4 imo. can get a good engine for 4000-6000$.
Old 08-11-2006, 10:49 PM
joshafmil
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: blueherd02gt

+1
If you got some extra jack and you want a fast car why not get a cobra or an 05/06 gt just a car that will respond better to mods....I'm going through this delemma myself because if I'm gonna pour money in rebuilding a motor why not start with a better motor to make fast.
ORIGINAL: ackuric

well this is basically rebuilding the motor... id get a 5.4 block of dss, built for about 750hp. i can get a short block or longblock, its just the longblock comes with extra stuff i dont need cuz i already have everything else in the engine that hopefully should work with it... so all i basically need is the heads and shortblock. if it turns out i need more then i may just buy a long block.

the block is built for a supercharger. has forged everything. so when you guys were saying buy a built block, thats basically what im doing.

i was just wondering what stuff from a 4.6 isnt compatible to the 5.4...

EDIT: oh and to add... i have to stick with the 5.4 or 4.6 engines built... because my car is registered in NY, aka annoying emissions testing. if i could drop a 351 pushrod in their id do it in a heartbeat... but it wouldnt pass emissions
Old 08-11-2006, 11:00 PM
blueherd02gt
5th Gear Member

My truck has a strong motor and this is essentially the setup you are putting in your car, but why dont more people go this route? I'm told that the numbers arent worth it but what about displacement? but good luck and tell us more of what youve learned.
Old 08-11-2006, 11:07 PM
joshafmil
4th Gear Member

My truck has a strong motor and this is essentially the setup you are putting in your car, but why dont more people go this route? I'm told that the numbers arent worth it but what about displacement? but good luck and tell us more of what youve learned.
well to be honest... my situation is, the 2v heads dont breath good enough... so i want DOHC... i also want to super it, meaning i want forged internals. so instead of doing all that work, i might aswell buy a new block and heads. the 5.4 block isnt to much more then the 4.6 block, so i figured, if im gonna do it, why not just get the 5.4 aswell.

im more or less redoing the engine for forged internals, and DOHC heads... the 5.4 part i figured i would just get because its not much more in price, and i think being able to say i got a 331 in my car would make it really cool, over the stock 281

EDIT: im just not sure as to what is compatible with the 2 blocks and what isnt. if i have to replace a ton more in the engine to get the 5.4 in there, i might just stick to the 4.6, but if alot of that parts are able to work on the same block (which im hoping) then ill go with the 5.4. i just need to know what wont work together...

like would i have to change my longtubes if i got them, i know ill need a new intake manifold, considering the DOHC.

i know the foxbody 302 and 351 are very close and u can swap alot out between the to... im just hoping thats how it is with these engines
Old 08-11-2006, 11:13 PM
blueherd02gt
5th Gear Member

Oh well then If you go dohc your getting the top of the line ford/lincoln setup. I thought you meant the triton originally. Well for the money you will probably have a freak in your hands and if you go blower omg what a beast. I would do this but I'm torn.....see I really want a cobra (03, 04) because of the lightning and the prestige but I know that your idea will be better in the long run....decisions decisions desisions
ORIGINAL: joshafmil

well to be honest... my situation is, the 2v heads dont breath good enough... so i want DOHC... i also want to super it, meaning i want forged internals. so instead of doing all that work, i might aswell buy a new block and heads. the 5.4 block isnt to much more then the 4.6 block, so i figured, if im gonna do it, why not just get the 5.4 aswell.

im more or less redoing the engine for forged internals, and DOHC heads... the 5.4 part i figured i would just get because its not much more in price, and i think being able to say i got a 331 in my car would make it really cool, over the stock 281
Old 08-11-2006, 11:18 PM
joshafmil
4th Gear Member

Oh well then If you go dohc your getting the top of the line ford/lincoln setup. I thought you meant the triton originally. Well for the money you will probably have a freak in your hands and if you go blower omg what a beast. I would do this but I'm torn.....see I really want a cobra (03, 04) because of the lightning and the prestige but I know that your idea will be better in the long run....decisions decisions desisions
well i think of it this way, my car will be paid off soon enough, and with that happening, alot of money will open up to upgrade it... plus im going overseas soon so ill get some extra cash from that.

i rather be able to say i have a 331 custom mustang (because it will no longer be a GT) then say i own a cobra.

to add.. i can buy a cheap 4 banger to drive for gas and while the thing is in the shop, if i were to sell my car now, and get a 03 cobra, there would be no way in hell i could afford a second car, thus hindering me on gas, and driving while the car is being worked on.

i love the cobras, and would love to have one... but im to attatched to the car i have now because its my first stang, and i know how much my father regrets selling his 68 GTO. so i dont wanna be in the same boat later on lol.

to add, i have the option to just do the engine work, and not mess with the body to much... making it a nice sleeper

EDIT: im not going to do the engine swap for another 2 years or so, because i want to take my time, and build the rest of the car for the power. i figured thats the safest route
Old 08-11-2006, 11:29 PM
blueherd02gt
5th Gear Member

In 2 years time there might be some better setups out there I understand about going oversea's because I paid both my cars off that way and patience is a virtue, I completely understand how you feel, but I may go the route of buying a faster car (not that I would sell mine) but almost a track only car with a better responding motor. I've been considering a kit car and building one myself, which should take 5 or 10 years[8D] but building something fast

Quick Reply: 4.6 to 5.4? need some help