4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

3 inch or 2.5 inch exhaust?

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2006, 03:55 AM
oxfordgt
6th Gear Member

Default RE: 3 inch or 2.5 inch exhaust?

ORIGINAL: racer02GTstang

ORIGINAL: oxfordgt

Sorry Black98GT but you are alittle off. You do not need back pressure.

Most of the time bigger is better, but that's not always the case with exhaust. Today's late model cars are designed with several restrictions on the manufacturers. So in order to perform but still stay within the limits of emissions and other regulations, the exhaust is usually the first thing to suffer from the factory. The easy power that is found in changing the original equipment exhaust system, is just one of the many reasons there are so many aftermarket manufacturers capitalizing on this insufficiency. But just opening the exhaust doesn't always make more power, it takes the correct combination of flow capability and velocity. That's why performance exhaust manufacturers spend so much time in search of just the right combination, so that they can ensure peak power to their customers.

In this article we will discuss the effects that exhaust backpressure has on your engine. Backpressure is the restriction of the exhaust gases that are produced by your engine while they are being released through your exhaust system. Exhaust gasses are the burned and unburned gasses that are released out of the exhaust system after engine combustion happens.

The exhaust system should have minimal restriction to the exhaust flow that is being released in order to create the most amount of power from the engine. With restriction present, backpressure is developed, making the engine work much harder to release the exhaust out of the engine cylinders.

The standard for exhaust diameter is to not run too large of exhaust, for the engine needs a certain amount of backpressure. This is correct in the sense of one should not run too large of diameter exhaust tubing, but the statement of the engine needing backpressure is not. You need to have the least amount of backpressure possible to produce maximum power. Too large of diameter exhaust will cause a power loss and loss of low end torque because a larger pipe has less exhaust stream velocity than a smaller pipe. If the exhaust pipe is too large, then the exhaust flow will be slowed with less velocity. There are exceptions, forced induction or high-volume race engines require a larger diameter exhaust due to the flow characteristics of the engine. Supercharged and turbocharged vehicles can have an exhaust gas volume of 1 to 2 times more than an equivalent displacement naturally aspirated engine. In this case, one is able to use a larger diameter of exhaust for greater performance.

This was taken from https://mustangforums.com/m_1789889/tm.htm
This has been a big argument for along time and I'm glad this guy posted it cause I could never find hard evidence before.
yea, i now what you mean.... we have a 69 super bee with a 383BB and a cam, heads, intakemanifold, and alot of other stuff... we run 2.5 inch exhuast on it to keep the backpressure...
You kinda misunderstood what what said above. Backpressure is bad it causes your engine to work harder to get the gasses out of the combustion chamber. 0 backpressure would be ideal what you dont want is for the exhaust flow to slow down.
Old 08-12-2006, 07:12 AM
PWORLDSTANG
4th Gear Member

Just like albiz066 said, you WILL gain horsepower from a 3' exhaust, but it will only be at higher RPM's. But by adding that high end horsepower, you lose some of your low end torque.
Old 08-12-2006, 07:17 AM
oxfordgt
6th Gear Member

true but since the mustang gt's stop making power around 5750rpms its not really worth it untill you upgrade
Old 08-12-2006, 09:58 AM
04BlueGT
5th Gear Member

Even when faced with the facts, people still do not want to believe them. His car appears stock. Without forced induction of some type, or one hell of a high-cpmpression N/A motor, the 3 inch exhaust is too large. Exhaust velocity will slow and create back pressure, reducing scavaging and making the motor work harder to evacuate exhaust gases from the cylinders.

Backpressure = bad

Hight exhaust gas velocity = good

Think of it another way. If 3 inch was better, why do most of the companies offer 2.5 inch? Because they have done the CFD analysis and concluded the 2.5 is optimum for 95% of our cars.
Old 08-12-2006, 10:20 AM
oxfordgt
6th Gear Member

[sm=exactly.gif]We thank you for your support [sm=icon_cheers.gif]
Old 04-08-2008, 12:12 PM
fearthis90

i dyno tested my 98 gt with 2.5 and then with 3" and i got more horespower and torque out of the 2.5" and i have edelbrock heads
Old 04-08-2008, 12:23 PM
CHIC
1st Gear Member

i have 2.5 on mine and it is great. my buddy has 3" on his, supercharged with 409 rwhp. his sounds better of course, but as said above, you will only gain in the high end.
Old 04-08-2008, 01:02 PM
ninelives19821
2nd Gear Member

I gained 13rwhp with open headers. I did lose a bit down low but i could have cared less once i got some rpm's. If you lack low end... get some gears? Go for it dude!
Old 04-08-2008, 01:24 PM
bjh061487
3rd Gear Member

YOU DON'T WANT/NEED BACK PRESSURE. WHY DO THINK PEOPLE AT THE TRACK RACE WITH OPEN HEADS? CUZ IT FLOWS BETTER AND YOU GET MORE POWER. with that said, i know you can get Pacesetters Longtubes that have a 3 collector but on the back end of the mid-pipe it is 2.5 inches because that is how most aftermarket cat backs come. so if you want, do 3" in the tubes and then duck it down to 2.5" for the catback