MustangForums.com

MustangForums.com (https://mustangforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang (https://mustangforums.com/forum/4-6l-1996-2004-modular-mustang-7/)
-   -   Engine swap (https://mustangforums.com/forum/4-6l-1996-2004-modular-mustang/16647-engine-swap.html)

hawks05 06-14-2004 03:42 AM

Engine swap

What all is needed also to do an engine swap for a 3.8L to a 4.6L??

2000GT4.6 06-14-2004 04:36 AM

RE: Engine swap

Just buy a GT. You can pick up a 99+ GT nowadays for close to 10K with fairly low miles on it (50-60K)

hawks05 06-14-2004 02:03 PM

that would be kind of pointless dont you think since i already have a 2000 4.6L GT Motor

Sidewayz6.0 06-14-2004 02:50 PM

Build a shifter cart out of that 4.6 you have, and pick up a cheap 99GT somewhere.

It'll cost you twice as much to get it to run right. It's not like the old 2.4 - 5.0 swap was.

hawks05 06-14-2004 04:18 PM

how much you think its going to cost? i will say this i work at a performance shop labors free for me.

Obsol3te 06-14-2004 07:29 PM

go with a navigator engine :)
sell the 4.6 and get the 5.4!
thats whats in the 00 Cobra R right?

IntruderLS1 06-14-2004 09:22 PM

Well, no offence pal (to you, or to the other people on this board), but if you work in a performance shop, why on earth would you ask us what you need, or how much it cost? Go ask the mechanics in your shop. I will tell you though, that if you already have to engine, and you have all free labor, then it's only going to cost you a transmission, and rear end. A little more of course for the odds & ends, but look at those 2 things, and add about 1g and you'll be about there. Just my $.02 [sm=smiley23.gif]

Stinger 06-14-2004 11:56 PM

Well maybe the shop has never done a swap like that? He just trying to get some advice not get a lecture. You never know what the story is so if you dont know the answer just say i dunno rather being kinda rude. [&:]

2000GT4.6 06-15-2004 02:25 AM

ORIGINAL: hawks05

that would be kind of pointless dont you think since i already have a 2000 4.6L GT Motor
In that case you are looking at a trans, computer (hopefully you got it with the engine though) rear end, driveshaft (just get a aluminum one) and a host of little things. Your best route would be to find a junkyard with a front end damaged GT.

If you can't do this, the rear end shouldn't be over 500 bucks, and I got a rebuilt t45 for 750 shipped, with a 12 month 12000 mile warrenty. You should be able to get an aluminum driveshaft for 200 bucks easily. If you have the extra cash get a better transmission like a TKO etc, especially if you plan on big power down the road.

Also, while your at it, you might as well put a set of LT headers and X pipe on there. Your going to have the engine out/lifted up anyway. This would be the easyest and cheapest time to do it.

In the end though, depending on what year your car is of course, you might be able to sell yours and the engine and come pretty close to the sticker on a used car anyway. Not to mention your time is worth something, plus I can only imagine the headaches that could come up if you run into problems.

IntruderLS1 06-15-2004 03:33 AM

ORIGINAL: Stinger

Well maybe the shop has never done a swap like that? He just trying to get some advice not get a lecture. You never know what the story is so if you dont know the answer just say i dunno rather being kinda rude. [&:]
You're a good man for sticking up for the guy. But it was not my intention to come off as rude. Upon review of it though, I see how you came up w/ that. ... I think it was the word "pal" that did it. What I was going for was sort of laughing while pointing out something that may have been so obviouse, as to be overlooked. If you read my past post's, you'll see that I don't get into the rude thing over forums. Anybody who deserves that treatment isn't going to care if they get it, and why ruin everybody else's day? ;) Hey, 2000GT4.6 has an EXCELLANT point also, that I didn't think of. The suspension is going to have to change also. Stupid me looked over the super obviouse. LOL. Yeah man, it's going to take quite a bit of work. Normally engine swaps should be reserved for cars that are either very hard to replace, or sooo expensive as to be out of reach. The headache's that will come of this project will probably haunt you (and your paycheck) for years to come. That is unless you really spare no expense, and go all out, in which case you would spend more than you would on a new GT. Just trade in your ride, sell the engine, and buy yourself something nice. Sorry if I offended you earlier, that truely was not my intention. [sm=smiley9.gif]