4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

High mile motor to make run newer?

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2006, 01:34 PM
01stangt
2nd Gear Member

Default High mile motor to make run newer?

Alright, well I was thinking about selling my car and buying a car with alot of miles on it.....150-200k for $5,000 or something, this would leave me with about $5,000 to spend on the motor to make it run well and transmission to make it not crap out as well. Do the internals getting replaced make it run newer? I'm not exactly sure if or how to make a high mile motor run like it has alot less. Please help me out here. I am trying to get the most power for cheaper, and the thing is I am not all that mechanically inclined so i would have to have a shop install whatever i had to get done. So, how can i get a car with like 150k on it run like it has 40k or something for 5k installed, with MORE power than it did stock. Any information is appreciated.

Thanks!
Old 08-15-2006, 01:41 PM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

Default RE: High mile motor to make run newer?

Hhmm at a shop a stock rebuild would probably run around 3.5-5k depending, a rebuild would always be a nice way to go, and if you have cash u can get some performance parts instead of a bone stock rebuild
Old 08-15-2006, 01:42 PM
bsteen81
3rd Gear Member

Ughhh, ok well your probably not gonna get a whole lot out of 5k. Your best bet would be to buy a used low mileage engine. Labor is gonna be the biggest thing, unless you know someone. New internals are not cheap, do some research. People dont realize that HP is expensive. There is no cheap way to get it. Look around do a little homework and you need to make your self a plan of attack within your budget. Look through all of the sponsor sights and you can get a good idea of what you are gonna spend. Dont forget Ebay.
Old 08-15-2006, 01:49 PM
01stangt
2nd Gear Member

So would a total rebuild be like having a lower stock motor? What should I look for to make it a better running motor and be lil quicker than stock? I know hp is expensive unfortunately, What all do internals do? I have only heard them used for the non pi cars to make them breathe better? And for forged internals to make it handle more hp. Sorry i don't know much about this stuff, I have pretty much self taught myself about all i know, but i still know very little.
Old 08-15-2006, 01:55 PM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

Well, first off what car do you plan on buying with the high mileage, and what mustang/year/mileage do you have now?
Old 08-15-2006, 01:57 PM
01stangt
2nd Gear Member

Probably an LT1 motor. I'm not sure yet. I have an 01 GT and am going to trade it in for something I have been looking at the LT1's and LS1's and my options, it just seemed like it was a good motor to build up. What would you guys suggest on?
Old 08-15-2006, 01:58 PM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

So your trading in you o1 mustang gt, for a 150k-200k mile camaro/firebird? Whats the mileage on your stang?
Old 08-15-2006, 02:02 PM
03GT_4.6
2nd Gear Member

If you plan on buying one with high miles and using different engine additives to make it run better, they will be just a temporary fix. To make it run newer you would pretty much rebuild to get it to produce more power or at least be more reliable. If you were going to rebuild it, like others have said, you would be better off puting performance parts after you have decided how you want the car to perform and you've done your research. Also, high mileage just doesn't pertain to just he engine and tranny. You have to think that the suspension, cooling system, axle, steering, interior, fuel system, will all have had around 150K or more miles on them. You could rebuild the engine and tranny but you could be looking into more problems as well.
Old 08-15-2006, 02:02 PM
01stangt
2nd Gear Member

haha 63,***. Just figured i could trade and get 5k back from a dealer for a LT1 and then throw that at the motor and tranny. Would that be a stupid move in your oppinion? I guess it does sound pretty stupid, but i just wanna get a faster car, cuz it would take me years to be able to get cams and all that for the car i have now, and i believe this one is burning oil anyway and kinda just want to get rid of it before it really starts to be a pain. (Although the car with 150k on it would probably be burning oil or have some sort of issue. But isn't that what a rebuild fixes?)
Old 08-15-2006, 02:05 PM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

Ok well I dont beleive an LT1 with that kind of mileage is gonna be much faster if any than your PI Gt. In my personaly opinion i wouldnt sell your car to get something with that kind of mileage, your going to be buying someone else's headache, just a bad move in my opinion especially if you can't do any mechanical work. You end up selling you 2001 and probably get stuck needed tons of money just for repairs. I would just save money for mods IMO.

Quick Reply: High mile motor to make run newer?