4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Where did my Power Go???

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2006, 02:38 PM
jcassell1

Default Where did my Power Go???

I have a 98 GT and after I installed an o/r h-pipe and flowmaster 40s, I noticed the power down low felt a lot weaker. What happened? Dont Say the flowmasters is what happened. I know a lot of people dislike them, but surely they are better than stock. With the stock exhaust, I could bark the tires shifting into third gear and now, it seems like it bearly want to bark them in second. I have 3.73 gears and I can fry the tires in first, shift to second and continue to blow them up, but just running up the rpms and shifting seems like I lost some power. Can anyone explain this to me. Thanks...
Old 08-16-2006, 02:40 PM
Dan04COBRA
Super Moderator

Default RE: Where did my Powr Go???

I'd check the system for leaks.

When you open up the exhaust, generally it will help your car breath in the higher RPM's and it'll almost give you the feeling as if it lost some power down low, which could possibly be the case but it's so minimal that unless you are Jesus you can't really tell.

Generally it's the increase of top-end that gives people the illusion that they lost all their low end grunt.

Do you have MIL's or used a tuner to shut off your CEL?
Old 08-16-2006, 02:43 PM
jcassell1

No MIL's. No Tune. Just exhaust, gears, and K&N air filter. There are no leaks, so could it be the power curve has changed with the new exhaust?
Old 08-16-2006, 03:47 PM
ben790450
I ♥ Acer

Its normal. Your freeing up more backpressure down low. Its like putting headers on. Everyone complains that they loose low end power. If you had a leak you'd hear it. Trust me! haha. Exhaust takes away your low end pressure but if gives you a lot on the top end. Thats where you need it most.
Old 08-16-2006, 04:22 PM
LvGordo
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ben790450

Its normal. Your freeing up more backpressure down low. Its like putting headers on. Everyone complains that they loose low end power. If you had a leak you'd hear it. Trust me! haha. Exhaust takes away your low end pressure but if gives you a lot on the top end. Thats where you need it most.
when i put my headers on, i coulda swore (and i did) that someone took out my 410s, the car felt like a slug down low. I got used to it now and the blower makes up for the rest
Old 08-16-2006, 04:35 PM
V8Cody
3rd Gear Member

Same happened when I put my BBK O/R X-pipe on. It felt like I couldn't chirp the tires anymore...Took a week to get use to the pipe and now I can chirp them again. It is a noticeable difference in acceleration at higher speeds (little, but noticeable).
Old 08-16-2006, 05:08 PM
CobraSnake
5th Gear Member

i notice a lot of things people say i shouldn't have.
Old 08-17-2006, 12:56 AM
Darkcrime
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Where did my Power Go???

ORIGINAL: jcassell1

I have a 98 GT and after I installed an o/r h-pipe and flowmaster 40s, I noticed the power down low felt a lot weaker. What happened? Dont Say the flowmasters is what happened. I know a lot of people dislike them, but surely they are better than stock. With the stock exhaust, I could bark the tires shifting into third gear and now, it seems like it bearly want to bark them in second. I have 3.73 gears and I can fry the tires in first, shift to second and continue to blow them up, but just running up the rpms and shifting seems like I lost some power. Can anyone explain this to me. Thanks...

Dude, the flowmasters is what happened!
Old 08-17-2006, 01:43 AM
bumpinwheels95
2nd Gear Member

is ur checl engine light on ur 02 sensor could be outta wack (bad air flow)
Old 08-17-2006, 01:46 AM
Colorado_Mustang
5th Gear Member

Did you reset the computer?

Quick Reply: Where did my Power Go???