4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Should I get 4.10's or 4.30's for my daily driver?

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2004, 02:47 AM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Should I get 4.10's or 4.30's for my daily driver?

ORIGINAL: mdvaldosta

At the track with 4.10's and stock sized notto dr's I launch and 3200 and dump the clutch. Slight tire spin all the way through first. Their really isnt a ton of difference between 4.10's and 3.73's, but its nearly twice the difference over 3.27's. I can tell you that if you have street tires your not gonna get a better 60' time with 4.10's since the power is already overpowering the traction, but with sticky tires its nice.
You dump the clutch???? You mean you rev it to 3200, yank your foot off the clutch without slowing the travel at all, and floor it in the meantime???

If I do that the only thing I will be doing is spinning. This is on nitto D/Rs????? Im thinking I need to do some suspension work then, or lower the air pressure in my tires. Something.

What air pressure are you running? Did the control arms make a big difference??
Old 06-17-2004, 10:56 AM
03SilverGT
2nd Gear Member

I have 4.10's and every time I take off i dont spin like someone on here said you would. I ran last night at darlington with the factory tires lowered the press to 20 and did not spin flooring it off the line. 4.10's are not as bad as some of you are making them out to be. I couldnt see waisting money getting 3.73 when you could have 4.10 for the same pirce if your staying n/a. Dont fear the gear. 4.10 are great. Firts gear last a good 2 sec at full throttle. You do still have first gear and use for it with 4.10. I always start in first, now I couldnt imagine not having the gears.
Old 06-17-2004, 11:35 AM
mdvaldosta
I ♥ Acer

Yes I dump the clutch, as in yanking my foot off the clutch without slowing the travel at all, and floor it in the meantime. I couldn't do that on street tires, but I can with the dr's and control arms. If I launch at 2500 I bog off the line. I kinda spin a tad accelerating at first then it grabs hard. Im trying to find the right spot between 3000 and 3200. Yes the control arms make a real nice difference, and so does lowering the tire pressure from 35 lbs to 18 lbs. I would be better off if I didn't have the car lowered. My 60's are mid 1.9's, not real good. But my best times are with dumping the clutch at 3200 so far
Old 06-17-2004, 12:23 PM
BlackMage
5th Gear Member

ok, im a newbie to modding my car so, where the heck do the 4.10 gears go? is it something inside the trani, or what?and how easy is it to install these suckers, sorry this post seemed like the right place to ask
Old 06-17-2004, 12:54 PM
MikeHawke
Retired MF Moderator

That was the info I needed MD. Thanks.

Sorry to hog the thread.
Old 06-17-2004, 01:14 PM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 03SilverGT

I have 4.10's and every time I take off i dont spin like someone on here said you would. I ran last night at darlington with the factory tires lowered the press to 20 and did not spin flooring it off the line. 4.10's are not as bad as some of you are making them out to be. I couldnt see waisting money getting 3.73 when you could have 4.10 for the same pirce if your staying n/a. Dont fear the gear. 4.10 are great. Firts gear last a good 2 sec at full throttle. You do still have first gear and use for it with 4.10. I always start in first, now I couldnt imagine not having the gears.
If you have factory tires (espcially the junk ones that are acutally from ford) and 4.10s, and you can floor it and first and not spin your tires, something is really wrong with your car.

My car would roast the factory tires to high heaven with my 3.73s installed when I floored it in first. Acutally was having more difficutly getting a good 1st gear run until I got the nittos installed.

MD::::

I run like 22 or 25 PSI in my nittos all the time. is that bad on the street ??

How much did you pay and where did you get the rear control arms????
Old 06-17-2004, 01:26 PM
mdvaldosta
I ♥ Acer

Well running 22 lbs would heat the tires up more than running 30 lbs, and would reduce the life of the tires as well. The say each % lower tire pressure you run, thats a % less tire life. But hell, I still have 18 lbs in my tires from last week - been meaning to bump it back up to 30 though - just haven't yet. Its really best to keep them at 30 - 35 when your not racing if you wanna extend the life of the tires, but they don't hook as good. I got the control arms off eBay, real cheap something like $150 or so, here's a link to the same seller and product I got mine from. Their not a name brand but the welds and quality are good. Well worth the $$ if you don't need tunable units.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...category=33583

Oh and the gears are located in the rear end (or called rear differential), which is located at the rear of your car underneath. Your rear tires are connected to it. The gears are located in the housing in the middle. Inside this:

and the gears look like this:
Old 06-17-2004, 01:38 PM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

Thx
Old 06-17-2004, 02:59 PM
03SilverGT
2nd Gear Member

200GT nothing is wrong with my car, I dont floor right at first I get rolling for a sec then floor it. And with the press at 20lbs and a good spin before you stage and the heat of the track it didnt spin. Last night was the first time it had never spun and it was the first time I lowered the press. What do you run? I ran that 13.8 before the MAF Steeda T/A and Accufab 75mm TB. Why do you think that if someones car acts diff then there must be something wrong with it. You have to ??? everyone who post and says something diff. than you. You and MD got into it. No one cars about your car if your going to be an @$$. Just keep you @$$ coments to yourself. Since your mustang is the BEST DAMN ONE ever built.
Old 06-17-2004, 03:36 PM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 03SilverGT

200GT nothing is wrong with my car, I dont floor right at first I get rolling for a sec then floor it. And with the press at 20lbs and a good spin before you stage and the heat of the track it didnt spin. Last night was the first time it had never spun and it was the first time I lowered the press. What do you run? I ran that 13.8 before the MAF Steeda T/A and Accufab 75mm TB. Why do you think that if someones car acts diff then there must be something wrong with it. You have to ??? everyone who post and says something diff. than you. You and MD got into it. No one cars about your car if your going to be an @$$. Just keep you @$$ coments to yourself. Since your mustang is the BEST DAMN ONE ever built.
No, its the fact that the factory tires suck, and a properly running 4.6L GT will roast the **** out of the tires if you floor it in first gear with anything above the stock gears. I am not trying to be an ***, but it makes absolutly no since that a car would not spin like crasy at WOT with regular street tires, even heated, with 4.10 gears.

If you didnt spin, then why does it say right in your sig

" With no traction on factory tires. "

If you let out your clutch, and then floor the car with 4.10s (or 3.73s for that matter) the tires should be spinning like crazy. If they are not you are not making the power that you should be, even with a nearly stock car. That is the reason everyone gets drag radials. Before my D/Rs 1st was an absolute nightmare. It would spin all the way thru first, no matter what launch you used, and after you shifted into second it would slide them and then bog, because as everyone knows spinning does not equal fast.

BTW my car should be running low 13s. If i get real lucky and everything goes right maybe a 13.0

Also BTW, md and i did not "get into it". Acutally we are corresponding atm about the tires and the control arms.

Blackmage: Gears are not something you want to attempt to install yourself. They have to be indicated and shimmed so that everything works correctly. You should be able to get a set install for somewhere around 400-500 bucks, which is not to bad for the extra performance you are going to get out of em. They really wake the car up.

Quick Reply: Should I get 4.10's or 4.30's for my daily driver?