4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Aluminum Blocks

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2006, 12:06 AM
Aixtreme89
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Aluminum Blocks

ORIGINAL: droptoppony

ORIGINAL: David_K

its true the aluminum blocks are weak in spots and will break apart. little bite sized chuncks will fall out.
i think you are talking out of your ***!
these aluminum blocks are proven to be tough....any block can brake from engine failure ie: rod going through it etc but they are not just braking apart.

I agree!
Old 08-20-2006, 12:06 AM
David_K
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: droptoppony

its true the aluminum blocks are weak in spots and will break apart. little bite sized chuncks will fall out.
i think you are talking out of your ***!
these aluminum blocks are proven to be tough....any block can brake from engine failure ie: rod going through it etc but they are not just braking apart.

the block ripped apart at the motor mounts. ive destroyed several blocks. you have to be careful with these blocks. its dark i will get you pics of the block tomorrow.
Old 08-20-2006, 12:13 AM
Aixtreme89
5th Gear Member

What ever the failure point is, the teksid block has been proven to be the strongest production modular block made, besides mabye the Ford GT production block. But that would need modification to bolt a starter to it. So I am not including it. The only other better option is to buy a Sean hyland modular aluminum block. But those are quite expensive at $3500.

This is just a thoguht of mine. No proof, but if you were using urethane or rubber motor mounts the constant jerking of the motor under racing conditions I could understand how much stress it would be under. I would think solid motor mounts would help releive some of that stress. Thatsa probably why drag race motors have that big aluminum plate in front of the block that they bolt to the block and the frame. To add support and prevent all that stress on those motor mounts. Or they use rods and hyme joints that the bolt the block to the frame, like you can see in the cougars picture.......Just a thought
Old 08-20-2006, 12:23 AM
David_K
5th Gear Member

. ill show you this block is ****ed. i had a 99 procharged cobra convertable it was making 700lbs of torque. i went to launch the **** out of it after the pulley swap and tune and it ripped the sides of the block off. peices of the block were still attached to the mounts. my buddy had a big bore stroker motor with cams and solid motor mounts. first pass down the track same thing ripped the block apart. i didnt say they cant take power. its just that are weak in spots.
Old 08-20-2006, 12:26 AM
David_K
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Aixtreme89

What ever the failure point is, the teksid block has been proven to be the strongest production modular block made, besides mabye the Ford GT production block. But that would need modification to bolt a starter to it. So I am not including it. The only other better option is to buy a Sean hyland modular aluminum block. But those are quite expensive at $3500.

This is just a thoguht of mine. No proof, but if you were using urethane or rubber motor mounts the constant jerking of the motor under racing conditions I could understand how much stress it would be under. I would think solid motor mounts would help releive some of that stress. Thatsa probably why drag race motors have that big aluminum plate in front of the block that they bolt to the block and the frame. To add support and prevent all that stress on those motor mounts. Or they use rods and hyme joints that the bolt the block to the frame, like you can see in the cougars picture.......Just a thought

see you said it yourself. you have to take extra measures to make sure the block doesnt rip apart
Old 08-20-2006, 12:33 AM
Aixtreme89
5th Gear Member

see you said it yourself. you have to take extra measures to make sure the block doesnt rip apart
I wasnt saying it as a necessity, just thats a way to add strength. I dont have any experience with making that kind of power with the teksid block. But seems like you had had some bad luck with it. So I can understand why you would be so weary about it. All my knowledge comes from the research I have done on it. It is the best block for a 4.6 modular motor. excluding the sean hyland block. I am interested in seeing those pictures of the block.

I wouldnt want to stroke a 4.6 or bore it more the .030 over. Thats just asking for reliablity problems.

Also I am a road race guy not big into drag racing at all. So being able to take any weight of the front of the car is needed. So saving 70lbs is a big advantage over an iron block. So I had only 2 choices, the teksid or the WAP. The teksid is deffinetly the better option. Fort someone that doesnt care about the added weight and if it well set there mind at ease, go with a iron block. Plus getting a cobra block or short block is alot more expensive than a iron block. Unless your going to build it yourself.
Old 08-20-2006, 12:35 AM
David_K
5th Gear Member

yeah i have a motor bored to .160
Old 08-20-2006, 12:35 AM
David_K
5th Gear Member

i never thought of reinforcing it though. that might be something to look into
Old 08-20-2006, 12:37 AM
David_K
5th Gear Member

you should take your mark 8 block somewhere to have it x rayed. i used to get my climbing equipment x rayed for free at the airport but i dont think theyll let you put a block on the little conveyer belt thingy
Old 08-20-2006, 12:41 AM
Aixtreme89
5th Gear Member

yeah i have a motor bored to .160
Thats rediculious!!!! There only iron sleeves in there. You should have had the sleeves replaced instead. OR you can replace them with an aftermarket set. http://www.seanhylandmotorsport.com/...oducts_id=1035

Quick Reply: Aluminum Blocks