4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Exhaust install story, funny I guess...

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2006, 09:16 PM
Haze28
3rd Gear Member

Default Exhaust install story, funny I guess...

So I got my LM1 catback yesterday (it's the first mod that I have done to my car) and was planning on installing myself but I found out I have to go out of town this weekend so I decided to get it installed at a shop. I called around and found a shop that would do it for 75 bucks so I took it in today. It took them about an hour to install it and I watched most of the time, when they finished they let me check it out before taking it off the lift and it looked good and seemed pretty sturdy. They lowered the lift and started it up and it sounded great so I payed and was on my way. I got about 5 blocks away and the whole pipe from the axle back FELL OFF!!!!! I heard it dragging so I pulled over and looked and it was just hanging by the hanger on the tip!!! I was pissed! I pulled it off and threw it in my car and started to turn around and then the other side did the same thing! It took alot for me to not explode when I got back to the shop and they were really embaraced when I walked into the lobby with the pipes. So they put my car back on the lift and re-mounted the pipes and then went through and tightened everything and welded it up in a few places. They told me if it happened again they would refund my money. I was still a little mad but figured I'd just keep my mouth shut and go. Talk about a bad way to start modding my stang. Sorry about the long story, but there was no other way to tell it!!

Oh and by the way I LOVE the sound of the LM1!!!!!!
Old 08-17-2006, 09:20 PM
4.698GT
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Exhaust install story, funny I guess...

Ehh **** happens. Be happy they didnt be ********* about it and give you a bunch of grief, fixed it quick and professionally. Glad to hear you have the mod bug
Old 08-17-2006, 09:22 PM
straitwangin
4th Gear Member

srry to hear that, but now its time to add the prochamber to thoes LM1's to really wake em up.
Old 08-17-2006, 09:31 PM
Haze28
3rd Gear Member

I am glad they jumped right back under the car and fixed it right, I just felt like a douche driving in traffic with my exhaust dragging on the ground. I was pissed and embarassed at the same time.
I'm hoping to get a mid-pipe in a couple weeks, just have to find one that will go well with the LM1's.
Old 08-18-2006, 12:35 AM
kilobyte
2nd Gear Member

just be glad it did not fully fall off. just think of all the probs you would have had if it had hit a car or something
Old 08-18-2006, 01:30 AM
mvr
6th Gear Member

wow that sucks, at least they werent dicks about it.
Old 08-18-2006, 04:05 AM
racer02GTstang
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Haze28

So I got my LM1 catback yesterday (it's the first mod that I have done to my car) and was planning on installing myself but I found out I have to go out of town this weekend so I decided to get it installed at a shop. I called around and found a shop that would do it for 75 bucks so I took it in today. It took them about an hour to install it and I watched most of the time, when they finished they let me check it out before taking it off the lift and it looked good and seemed pretty sturdy. They lowered the lift and started it up and it sounded great so I payed and was on my way. I got about 5 blocks away and the whole pipe from the axle back FELL OFF!!!!! I heard it dragging so I pulled over and looked and it was just hanging by the hanger on the tip!!! I was pissed! I pulled it off and threw it in my car and started to turn around and then the other side did the same thing! It took alot for me to not explode when I got back to the shop and they were really embaraced when I walked into the lobby with the pipes. So they put my car back on the lift and re-mounted the pipes and then went through and tightened everything and welded it up in a few places. They told me if it happened again they would refund my money. I was still a little mad but figured I'd just keep my mouth shut and go. Talk about a bad way to start modding my stang. Sorry about the long story, but there was no other way to tell it!!

Oh and by the way I LOVE the sound of the LM1!!!!!!

i had that happen with my catback once... so all i did was torque it with the impact and problem solved.. haha.
Old 08-18-2006, 04:09 AM
ben790450
I ♥ Acer

Dude something like that happened to me. The DB that had the stang before me punched out all the cats and just used band clamps and couplings to put it back together. I was driving a mountain pass and the whole H pipe fell off and bounced down the mountain. It was weak. It did trigger my getting new headers, x, and cat back though.
Old 08-18-2006, 10:37 AM
72MachOne99GT
2010 Blue Ball Award Recipient

you said it fell off from teh axel back?? so im assuming it scratched the **** out of the SLP's tips right? or no?
Old 08-18-2006, 11:12 AM
Triisomy21
4th Gear Member

ahahaha dude that same thing happend to me. the pipe right behind the axle fell down and started scraping (not the tip, the tip is held in place by a rubber mount) I chucked it in my trunk and drove home very pissed off. It's just one of those things you have to retighten or add some thread locker. You'll look back at it and laugh...i do.

Quick Reply: Exhaust install story, funny I guess...