4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

stupid question??

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2006, 03:48 AM
David_K
5th Gear Member

Default RE: stupid question??

wait is he giving you the whole supercharger like the bottom and the top or just the blower
Old 08-20-2006, 03:48 AM
OnyxCobra
6th Gear Member

I personally dont think its worth messing with to fit on your car, I'd sell it on ebay and buy one made for your car.
Old 08-20-2006, 03:54 AM
97targa
5th Gear Member

It will work, but you need bigger injectors, prob. 30 or 42's and his MAF sensor. You will need a pulley tensioner and a belt. Not sure if the tensioner you have will work or not, but I'm pretty sure he has his tensioner bolted to his pi heads. Now don't be fooled with his PI heads. They are not the same as mustang PI heads. The combustion chamber is slightly larger and he only has 8.4:1 compression to accomodate for the bigger displacement motor and forced air. Your car will actually decrease in compression if you use lightning heads. Just as the DOHC heads do the same!! But to make the s/c work won't take much at all. You'll also need a new radiaor hose and a few other small items. If you run an underdrive pulley on the s/c you can get like 10psi out of it safely!!!
Old 08-20-2006, 04:00 AM
wwmost
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 97targa

It will work, but you need bigger injectors, prob. 30 or 42's and his MAF sensor. You will need a pulley tensioner and a belt. Not sure if the tensioner you have will work or not, but I'm pretty sure he has his tensioner bolted to his pi heads. Now don't be fooled with his PI heads. They are not the same as mustang PI heads. The combustion chamber is slightly larger and he only has 8.4:1 compression to accomodate for the bigger displacement motor and forced air. Your car will actually decrease in compression if you use lightning heads. Just as the DOHC heads do the same!! But to make the s/c work won't take much at all. You'll also need a new radiaor hose and a few other small items. If you run an underdrive pulley on the s/c you can get like 10psi out of it safely!!!
the s/c that he would get is ported and is pushing i think 17-19 psi??? so i think he would have to get a bigger pully to to push less boost without new internals. i know the guy 97stanger is talking about and dont watn the thread to die. he pretty much maxed out the stock eaton blower and thats why he is upgrading to a kb.
Old 08-20-2006, 04:24 AM
JPGT_00
2nd Gear Member

It will probably cost you more to do this mod than to just buy the Vortech
Old 08-20-2006, 04:26 AM
David_K
5th Gear Member

how so
Old 08-20-2006, 07:51 AM
03GTGreen
2nd Gear Member

^^Cause its just the blower, and I have yet to see an Eaton intake he could put it on for the 2V. I was gonna do the same thing with one from a Cobra. The only chance you have is if you were able to find an intake/intercooler to put it on and ur best bet would be from Saleen or Roush, but I dont even know if an eaton blower could be fitted to them cause I think they are both Whipple's. I would go with what OnyxCobra said. Grab if from him for the cheapest hes willing to give it for, and then sell it on ebay, u can make more off the deal by just the fact that its ported and able to push 17-19 pounds of boost.
Old 08-20-2006, 10:26 AM
oxfordgt
6th Gear Member

It wont work a lightning is a 5.4L DOHC. You will need the entire set up, 4v heads and a 5.4L shortblock. The 5.4L shortblock is wider then the 4.6L there for you will never be able to squeese it in there. The DOHC heads have a different intake port configuration then the SOHC so the intake wont line up. He will probably use some of the stock parts to install the new one.
Old 08-20-2006, 10:35 AM
04BlueGT
5th Gear Member

Finally! Geez, I tried saying that earlier.

You cannot make the lightning pieces narrow enough to work. You will run out of material before it fits.
Old 08-20-2006, 11:00 AM
Aixtreme89
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: oxfordgt

It wont work a lightning is a 5.4L DOHC. You will need the entire set up, 4v heads and a 5.4L shortblock. The 5.4L shortblock is wider then the 4.6L there for you will never be able to squeese it in there. The DOHC heads have a different intake port configuration then the SOHC so the intake wont line up. He will probably use some of the stock parts to install the new one.
The lightning is a SOHC 5.4... You would have to have an a lower intake manifold made for your car. You can have it done but it will probably deffinitl cost more than just buying a supercharger kit. You cant just mill the intake manifold down. Because at the end of the ports it has a lip where you have the mounting holes to bolt the intake to your heads, and most imnportant thing of all is the fuel injectors are right there too. If you mill it down these will be gone and you will have to either weld new ones on or something. I think mabye if you cut off the lower portion of the manifold right above the injector ports and cut out some of the runner length and weld it back up it could work. But you would have to get it perfect or the bolts wont line up. I depends if you know how to weld aluminum, I wouldnt try it.

Quick Reply: stupid question??