4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Removing gas pedal assembly

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2006, 06:51 PM
kast1376
3rd Gear Member

Default Removing gas pedal assembly

So I bought the Bullit pedal kit from mustangtuning, and got them all on, with the exception of the gas pedal. I need to get the assembly off of the car so I can punch out the retaining bolt. The problem is, I cannot figure out how to remove the cable from the assembly! Anybody here got some ideas on how this is done? My car looks LAME with 3 out of the 4 pedals being bullit style, and the other is not.
Old 08-20-2006, 10:09 PM
mustgt01
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Removing gas pedal assembly

i have a 01 gt and I put the same pedal set on mine. The cable just pops off.Put your thunb on the end where it connects to the pedal and push up. It should just pop right off mine did. The hard part is getting the metal pin back through the new pedal without bending it. Dont force it.
Old 08-20-2006, 10:22 PM
CaptainStang

Just finished mine today. Yea they were fun putting on - actually the gas was the easiest next to the dead pedal. Try pushing the black insert out from the back then upo through the slit in the top of the arm. It took me a while to figure that out then it was easy.
Old 08-20-2006, 10:38 PM
sitnlopro99gt
4th Gear Member

The best way to do it from my expereince is to unbolt the two nuts holding the gas pedal on so you can flip it around and take a pin and hammer it out a little. Then for clutch and brake boil water let them sit in there for 3 mins or so and then take them out and put them on there hot so prolly use gloves but its the easiest way to do it. hope that helps
Old 04-18-2020, 04:20 AM
RamblerSteve

I know this is a very old thread but I still see no clear answer regarding this issue. I purchased the pedal set used in the for the Bullit, Shelby and Roush models for my 2009 GT. Here's what I found. The original gas pedal pad on the GT is part of the gas pedal arm itself. Mine could not be removed because of this. The new Ford pedal pad has two posts with an allen head screw and washer attached each post. There are three 10mm nuts that hold the pedal arm to the firewall. I did not find it necessary to disconnect the wiring harness from the peddle. Once the nuts were off, the peddle assembly slid right off the mounting studs. On the underside of the pedal there are two holes behind the pad. I turned the assembly around and drilled the two holes out with a 13/32" drill bit from the back. Remove the two screws from the two posts and slide the posts right into the new holes from the front of the pedal and secure it in place with the two screws/ Now you can remount the peddle assembly back on the firewall. I heated the new clutch and the brake peddle pads in some water I heated on the stove which left the rubber pliable enough to install. Not easily but better than with cold rubber. This does not apply to the American Muscle kit nor the CJ Pony kit because the AM kit attaches with 3M tape and the other has a bracket that attached it to the pedal. It only applies to the Ford kit (#FR3-1055-10AA). I got mine from Yates Performance. They are genuine ford parts and fit perfectly. I liked this mounting method much better than 3M tape or brackets. Hope this helps someone.