4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Im spending too much money... Mabye time for a more efficient car.

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2006, 09:58 PM
Aixtreme89
5th Gear Member

Default Im spending too much money... Mabye time for a more efficient car.

What do you guys think? I am getting about 180miles before I fill up from a full tank. I am spending about $50 each time I fill up. I fill up like twice a week. So $400 a month.. I make only $1100 a month. Its starting to wear on me. I am in the military, yes it sucks. Dont get suckered into it..... But anyways. I was thinking about buying a car (a beater) for anywhere from $100-$1500. Do you think I should do it? It would be embarrassing to drive suck a crappy car. But I would be able to save some alot more money for my car. If I did what do you guys suggest I buy?

I would love to buy a crotch rocket, but I would want nothign but a 1000 and the older bikes look like crap and dont preform well. And no to a vespa... I want a car or a truck. Give me some reasonable ideas....
Old 08-21-2006, 10:02 PM
Butters
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Im spending too much money... Mabye time for a more efficient car.

A beater is a beater. No reason to be picky about it, no reason to care about it. The only purpose of a beater is to get good gas mileage and keep it running. Look for an old neon or cavalier or something.
Old 08-21-2006, 10:03 PM
blueherd02gt
5th Gear Member

Agreed on the useless spending but mine's paid for and I have my sights on a 03 cobra to make go fast(not really). For you man........ that question would end all of our worries. Try to ride a crotch rocket and see how it feels but being military also my CO has a policy on any two wheeler (NO)[&o]
Old 08-21-2006, 10:04 PM
blueherd02gt
5th Gear Member

Or a focus.....
ORIGINAL: Butters

A beater is a beater. No reason to be picky about it, no reason to care about it. The only purpose of a beater is to get good gas mileage and keep it running. Look for an old neon or cavalier or something.
Old 08-21-2006, 10:08 PM
Aixtreme89
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: blueherd02gt

Agreed on the useless spending but mine's paid for and I have my sights on a 03 cobra to make go fast(not really). For you man........ that question would end all of our worries. Try to ride a crotch rocket and see how it feels but being military also my CO has a policy on any two wheeler (NO)[&o]
My car is paid for too, I used to ride a 96 Honda CBR 600 F3 (basic bolt-ons) it was very fast. But I would only upgrade to a 1000 next, and I wouldnt skimp on a bike. The cheapest I have found a bike that I would consider is $4500. Yeah they get 35mpg too, but I would like something I can drive and carry things and not worry about if its going to rain. I am wondering if the beater is so worn out that it would get alot worse gas milage as it was new and it would get close to my car now.
Old 08-21-2006, 10:10 PM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

I drive a 96 Prizim as my DD. 35~ MPG with the a/c running with mixed highway/city, compared to 21 MPG if your lucky on the highyway only.

It doesn't take long to make up the difference of buying hte beater, plus you don't put any milage on your stang.
Old 08-21-2006, 10:10 PM
Aixtreme89
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: blueherd02gt

Or a focus.....
You just gave me an idea.... Buy a focus and drive that until I build my motor. Then swap the motors and put my old one in the focus! Damn your a genous!!! I think thats the only option because then I will have a use for it.
Old 08-21-2006, 10:14 PM
David_K
5th Gear Member

i have a 1990 isuzu pick up for a beater. get a little truck like that. you dont realize how helpful a truck bed it
Old 08-21-2006, 10:16 PM
Mt Twigbert
4th Gear Member

I say get a beater too.. Hell, I'd even drive a Ford Festiva if I could find one.. Super on gas, don't give a chit if someone dents the **** outa it at the store and the stang dosen't get miles..

I've put on about 10-15 miles on my stang in the last two weeks.. Its for pure pleasure.. Sure I wish I could drive it more but when I do get to drive it then it just feels that much cooler..

P.S. You don't have to drive it.. I washed mine today and its been sitting just like this all day.. I don't need to drive it.. As long as I can look out and see my baby I'm a happy camper..

I took this photo about 2 min ago.. =)

Old 08-21-2006, 10:17 PM
blueherd02gt
5th Gear Member

you putting your motor in a focus is banananasss[8D]

Quick Reply: Im spending too much money... Mabye time for a more efficient car.