4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

If you had 13K, what stang would you buy?

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2004, 11:54 AM
merfsiu

Default If you had 13K, what stang would you buy?

The choices are many and i am looking for opinions. Has to be 96 or newer. I like bolth 96-98, and 99+ body styles equally. I have seen low milage 96-98 gt for well under my limit. Have seen 99gt w/40K for around 10g on ebay. Have also seen 96-98 cobras with higher limage for under 13 also. I really like the idea of getting a cobra but am a little weary of high milage cars. Insurance isnt a factor. So what would you get and why?
Old 06-22-2004, 11:57 AM
mdvaldosta
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: If you had 13K, what stang would you buy?

I'd get the 96-98 Cobra first, then my next choice would be a 99+ GT. Don't even consider a 96-98 GT if you care anything about performance - those are the biggest dogs Ford ever produced (aside from the Mustang II's)

I apologize in advance to any 96-98 GT owners
Old 06-22-2004, 12:23 PM
Silver4.6
3rd Gear Member

MD is right, I'd also go with a cobra first if you could fined one you like. if you were to get a 96-98 gt plan on doing the PI head swap as your first mod, that would bring you up to par with the newer GTs
Old 06-22-2004, 12:36 PM
merfsiu

I thougt that the 4.6 was the same from 96-04 in the gt. What are the differences?
Old 06-22-2004, 01:09 PM
GSXRIntensity
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: merfsiu

I thougt that the 4.6 was the same from 96-04 in the gt. What are the differences?
Whoa....were have you been[&:]! Those turds SN-95's are not much for the 99+ modulars! For starters we have improvments like COP ignitions, different transmissions, MORE HORSEPOWER (260 vs 225), MORE TORQUE (302 vs don't remember, but a helluva lot less), & a lot more than I know off the top of my head. I didn't get into the Mustang world until I was told my Gixxer thou had to go if I wanted a Firehawk, so I'm in the 99+ club w/an '02.

As it is...w/$13k, I' put $11k down on a brand new car (no older than an 02), & use the rest for insurance (assuming you don't have different funds). Why buy old when you don't have to? $11k down on a car will make for some pretty low payments, plus Ford often advertises 0%, or some amount of cash back too. If you are in college I know you can get a discount that way too.
Old 06-22-2004, 02:00 PM
merfsiu

ORIGINAL: GSXRIntensity

Whoa....were have you been[&:]! Those turds SN-95's are not much for the 99+ modulars! For starters we have improvments like COP ignitions, different transmissions, MORE HORSEPOWER (260 vs 225), MORE TORQUE (302 vs don't remember, but a helluva lot less), & a lot more than I know off the top of my head. I didn't get into the Mustang world until I was told my Gixxer thou had to go if I wanted a Firehawk, so I'm in the 99+ club w/an '02.

As it is...w/$13k, I' put $11k down on a brand new car (no older than an 02), & use the rest for insurance (assuming you don't have different funds). Why buy old when you don't have to? $11k down on a car will make for some pretty low payments, plus Ford often advertises 0%, or some amount of cash back too. If you are in college I know you can get a discount that way too.
Why pay for a new car when i can get the same thing for half the price and not have any payments. I dont buy new cars because i am not going to be the sucker that pays for the resale drop as soon as it is driven off of the lot. Not to mention you only get 0% if you meet their credit requirements, which most people dont. When you finance you are buying a car on their terms. When you have cash in hand you have the power. There are a crapload of used gts out there with very little milage.

Do you work for a ford dealer?
Old 06-22-2004, 03:08 PM
SCARFACE
3rd Gear Member

I agree with GSXRIntensity, I would also go with NOT a new but something 99+ and put those 13K down --- your payment depending on what you would go for could be as low as 50 per month --- I would go for a 01' GT and here's why...

you can find a good 01' GT from 15K to 16K, let's go with the highest value...

* 01' GT $16K
* $13K down
* finanze for 3 years (36 months)
* at a 10% interest (going on the high side)
* payment = $97.00

of course it's nice not to have a car payment but this really isn't that bad considering the type of car your getting, think about it really good for you make your move, worth it [8D]
Old 06-22-2004, 03:26 PM
bull8t
2nd Gear Member

that would make a nice down payment on an 03 cobra.
Old 06-22-2004, 03:57 PM
SCARFACE
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: bull8t

that would make a nice down payment on an 03 cobra.
that's very true!... I personally would go that way, but that's just me
Old 06-22-2004, 04:27 PM
GSXRIntensity
4th Gear Member

Why pay for a new car when i can get the same thing for half the price and not have any payments. I dont buy new cars because i am not going to be the sucker that pays for the resale drop as soon as it is driven off of the lot. Not to mention you only get 0% if you meet their credit requirements, which most people dont. When you finance you are buying a car on their terms. When you have cash in hand you have the power. There are a crapload of used gts out there with very little milage.

Do you work for a ford dealer?
No I don't work for a Ford dealer, but someone I know in the right place does. I special ordered my '02 in '02. I was told exactly when it began on the assembly line, & notified when it rolled out to be put on the truck shipped to me. As it is, I was able to get the 'A' plan, 0% financing for 6 years (guess I met their credit requirments[]), & $3000.00 cash back!!! So, you go ahead try make me look bad...I'll keep my '02 w/7690 miles (all put on by me) on the odometer.

Even if the resale value drops off once pulled off the lot for a brand new car...that makes the car you are looking for that much less valuable than mine.

Trying to offer you some SMART advice, & you shoot me an attitude...[&:]

Quick Reply: If you had 13K, what stang would you buy?