4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

What Oil filter do you use?

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2006, 11:28 AM
monkeydude3
6th Gear Member

Default RE: What Oil filter do you use?

I run oem motorcraft or wix, whichever is available. I change my oil at 3000 mile inteverals or slightly less so it's all good.
Old 08-24-2006, 11:38 AM
P Zero
5th Gear Member

Castrol 5w50 Syntec with Fram filter. Ive used fram filters for a long time (13years) and never had ANY problems with them whatsoever. Another reason is that I run a high volume/high pressure oil pump (80-90psi @ idle), and regular fram filters dont baloon. Every other filter Ive used, unless it was specifically designed for high pressure balooned. All the ones that balooned on me were - Purolater, Wix, Mobil 1, Motorcraft, and some cheapies.
I think all the negative press that Fram recieved is BS. Like Ive said Ive run Fram filters in damn near everything for about 13 years now, not 1 problem. Ive read posts wHere supposedly a little chunk of paper (substrate) tore free of the material inside and blew a motor, WHAT BULLSH!T. Thats why theres a bypass valve, I dont think theres one actual case that was proven that the oil filter was at fault. Unless it was double gasketed and all the oil spewed all over the place, and seized the motor.
-P.
Old 08-24-2006, 11:51 AM
monkeydude3
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: P Zero

Castrol 5w50 Syntec with Fram filter. Ive used fram filters for a long time (13years) and never had ANY problems with them whatsoever. Another reason is that I run a high volume/high pressure oil pump (80-90psi @ idle), and regular fram filters dont baloon. Every other filter Ive used, unless it was specifically designed for high pressure balooned. All the ones that balooned on me were - Purolater, Wix, Mobil 1, Motorcraft, and some cheapies.
I think all the negative press that Fram recieved is BS. Like Ive said Ive run Fram filters in damn near everything for about 13 years now, not 1 problem. Ive read posts wHere supposedly a little chunk of paper (substrate) tore free of the material inside and blew a motor, WHAT BULLSH!T. Thats why theres a bypass valve, I dont think theres one actual case that was proven that the oil filter was at fault. Unless it was double gasketed and all the oil spewed all over the place, and seized the motor.
-P.
my dad has always run fram on our family cars and the engines always outlast the car...
Old 08-24-2006, 12:47 PM
70 MACH I
3rd Gear Member

motorcraft FL 820 S, Mobil I 5W 20 oil.

John
Old 08-24-2006, 12:56 PM
suzukidragracer
2nd Gear Member

Oh man you guys have to hear this! I really wish I would have taken a picture of it.

So, we were in Detroit for the Woodward Dream Cruise last weekend.

We're up around 15 Mile by the GM and Saleen displays, mosey on over to get an 'up close' look at the beautiful burnt orange twin turbo Saleen S7. After talking to one of the Saleen guys for a couple minutes, he opens the back up so we can take a look at the engine closer.

He opens it up and it is a work of art, shiny downpipes and intercooler pipes curving around everywhere, I look around towards the back left side of the engine compartment and that's when I saw it...A FRICKIN FRAM OIL FILTER$%&*@!!!!!!!!

I just couldn't believe my eyes, all that, 700 or whatever horsepower and a FRAM!

Kinda depressing really.....

Vince

Oh yeah, Alisyn Synthetic Racing Oil 0w-20 and Motorcraft FL-820s.
Old 08-24-2006, 01:05 PM
dothack
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: P Zero

-P.
+1
Old 08-24-2006, 01:44 PM
wes ley n the G T
3rd Gear Member

Mobil 1 5w20 fully synthetic oil and Mobil 1 filter.
Old 08-24-2006, 03:36 PM
03mustgt
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: suzukidragracer

Oh man you guys have to hear this! I really wish I would have taken a picture of it.

So, we were in Detroit for the Woodward Dream Cruise last weekend.

We're up around 15 Mile by the GM and Saleen displays, mosey on over to get an 'up close' look at the beautiful burnt orange twin turbo Saleen S7. After talking to one of the Saleen guys for a couple minutes, he opens the back up so we can take a look at the engine closer.

He opens it up and it is a work of art, shiny downpipes and intercooler pipes curving around everywhere, I look around towards the back left side of the engine compartment and that's when I saw it...A FRICKIN FRAM OIL FILTER$%&*@!!!!!!!!

I just couldn't believe my eyes, all that, 700 or whatever horsepower and a FRAM!

Kinda depressing really.....

Vince

Oh yeah, Alisyn Synthetic Racing Oil 0w-20 and Motorcraft FL-820s.

What did u expect some bling bling???lol nah i am surprised there wasnt a wal-mart supertech filter on there b/c thats all he could afford with that car.
Old 08-24-2006, 04:58 PM
TOOT
3rd Gear Member

I'm putting in Royal Purlpe with a K&N filter[8D]
Old 08-24-2006, 05:07 PM
suzukidragracer
2nd Gear Member

i am surprised there wasnt a wal-mart supertech filter on there b/c thats all he could afford with that car.
Good point.

Vince

Quick Reply: What Oil filter do you use?