4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Short air intake vs CAI from the fender well

Old 08-27-2006, 01:43 AM
Poobs
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Short air intake vs CAI from the fender well

I had a home made scoop on another car. It was low to the ground but it never picked up water. Water is very heavy and it would take much vacum to pick it up.

I think the comercially sold air ram systems have a little hole near the scoop for water to fall out
Old 08-31-2006, 12:06 AM
Poobs
3rd Gear Member

Finally got a chance to measure temps under the hood, I don't know where this is going but it may be usefull to somebody.

note that I have a 98 GT with the round airbox removed and a short intake as shown in the previous pic. My thermoucouples were placed in the following locations,

Inside the fender near where the airbox snorkel used to go.

About an inch from the outside of the small red air filter that came with the CAI

Inside the aluminum pipe that came with the CAI in the air stream going to the TB.

About 1/2 way to the firewall right under the CAI pipe.

Under hood temperature easily reaches over 120 degrees once the engine is at operating temperature with the car stopped. It will go down to high 90's once the car moves a few blocks at 50 MPH or less.

The temperature inside the fender is prety much ambient ( low 80's) but increases to high 90's once the car stops. The hot air may be flowing out thru the hole where the stock air filter once sat.

Inside the polished aluminum air intake pipe, temps quickly drop to near ambient hovering slightly higher due to the cooling effect of the incoming air. The air intake temps start to climb once the car stops moving but are still kept somewaht low by the ir at idle.

Now - My seat of the pants dynamometer told me that loosing the stock air filter housign and connecting the K&N directly to the 80mm MAF improved power. I also felt an improvememnt when I removed the stock rubber intake tube and installed the polished aluminum CAI tube.

I did not feel an improvement when I added the bent pipe that comes with the CAI. This pipe places the air filter inside the fender where the cooler air is.

So what is up with all this ? It may be that the shorter air path is outweighing the benefits of the cooler air. ( ? )

My take on all this is that the factory intake is prety much on the money. It seales tha hot air away from the opening of the intake column. It is however too restrictive because of the MAF housing, air filter housing and convoluted rubber tube, basically cost cutting

Me thinks the ideal aftermarket intake is basically similar to mine but with a larg air box that sits where the factory air filter sat. It would also have insulated tubing.

If I do not break down and buy a better intake, I'm going to try to insulate the filter from the hot engine witha sheet metal shield and also insulate the aluminum CAI pipe just to see if I feel something.

Later
Old 08-31-2006, 12:09 AM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Poobs

I finished installing one of the BOMZ ebay CAI today, .The filter is small but I already had a K&N filter.
Bottom line: If you had a stock filter and rubber pipe and go for the cheapo CAI the increase is great and definitely noticeable.

I installed mine in pieces. From a K&N in the stock airfilter housing I first added a C&L MAF. After that I removed the stock air filter housing and connected the K&N directly to the MAF, This short intake felt real good despite the fact that air came from under the hood and was suposedly hot.
Today I added the curved pipe and the small filter that came with the ebay cheapo CAI, There is no improvement that I can feel. Matter of fact I may have lost a bit of power.

I am going to remove this longer curved pipe and go back to the short intake but I will build a metal partition to try to keep the hot air away from the K&N.

My butt says that altough the full CAI picks up colder fender well air the shorter intake makes more ponies - probably the longer pipe joints etc cancell the effect of the colder air from the fender or it shows up at a much higher RPM

What do you guys think ?
Chances that you can acutally tell a difference in any intake are slim to none.

Hell, chances you can tell the difference between stock and not stock are slim to none.
Old 08-31-2006, 12:25 AM
Poobs
3rd Gear Member

Sometimes we fool ourselves about power
Old 08-31-2006, 11:15 PM
Poobs
3rd Gear Member

Had nothing better to do before going to work tonight so I did some more work ( fooling around)

In the ttached you can see my attempts at insulating the intake tube. I also used the original stock filter housing to try to keep the hot air form the small BOMZ filter. I only used the top hat part not the base so the back of it is open to the engine bay.

One drive later I found out that the insulation that I used ( actually a sun shade ) does not insulate [:'(] The stock filter housing did not work well either probably because it blocks the cooler air from the front of the engine bay instead picking up the air from the motor area.

Well, nothing gained nothing lost...