4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

compression testing.... and problems with GT

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2006, 11:15 PM
racer02GTstang
5th Gear Member

Default compression testing.... and problems with GT

well... the GT has seemed to have problems recently but im not sure what exactly it is.... it smells like fuel while im driving too. car will backfire alot when i let off the gas... the plugs seemed ok too. so i compression tested it to see if i that could help me any... i ran right around 125-140 psi in all cylinders... i think that seems VERY low.... what should i be at?
Old 08-24-2006, 11:23 PM
monkeydude3
6th Gear Member

Default RE: compression testing.... and problems with GT

optimally around 150psi. The main thing you want is them all to be even, or close to it. If they weren't drastically different, you are probably fine.

Is this your old motor that got damaged or a new one?
Old 08-24-2006, 11:27 PM
racer02GTstang
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: monkeydude3

optimally around 150psi. The main thing you want is them all to be even, or close to it. If they weren't drastically different, you are probably fine.

Is this your old motor that got damaged or a new one?

my old motor... the new one is still being built.... it will be here end of next week or the week after.... a tested it a couple months ago and pushed out 180ish in all cylinders... im just wondering if this is the cause of it smelling rich... like it smells like gas in the car with the windows up or down. car seems to get worse mileage now too. i used alittle over 1/8 a tank to drive about 16 miles.
Old 08-24-2006, 11:29 PM
monkeydude3
6th Gear Member

yeah your car is compensating for the loss of compression with more fuel. It will indeed cause the problems you are having, especially since you are boosted. You can try oil restore or something in it to help a tick, but it sounds like that blower took a toll on your motor... at least it was uniform wear and you didn't have one cylinder with like 15 psi
Old 08-24-2006, 11:38 PM
racer02GTstang
5th Gear Member

yeah your car is compensating for the loss of compression with more fuel. It will indeed cause the problems you are having, especially since you are boosted. You can try oil restore or something in it to help a tick, but it sounds like that blower took a toll on your motor... at least it was uniform wear and you didn't have one cylinder with like 15 psi

oh ok... well this kinda sucks then... guess the GT will be put out of commission till the motor is in.... i cant afford getting under 10mpg... haha. i think its bouncing off the rev limiter that has killed the motor... cause i always get my throttle stuck and have to kill it so i dont blow.... i need to figure out what is wrong with her on that aspect.
Old 08-24-2006, 11:56 PM
monkeydude3
6th Gear Member

could be the pedal stuck on the carpet, could be the TB sticking, could be the cable.

But yeah I wouldn't suggest driving it as it is now. If it's that far gone, who knows when it will actuallypop or just die?

That there is why I do not want to supercharge my stock motor. Gonna build me one that can take it and then supercharge it.

Sorry to tell you that though... but that is what it is... best of luck
Old 08-25-2006, 12:04 AM
racer02GTstang
5th Gear Member

could be the pedal stuck on the carpet, could be the TB sticking, could be the cable.

But yeah I wouldn't suggest driving it as it is now. If it's that far gone, who knows when it will actuallypop or just die?

That there is why I do not want to supercharge my stock motor. Gonna build me one that can take it and then supercharge it.

Sorry to tell you that though... but that is what it is... best of luck

yea.. i think its the cable or carpet.. i thought it was the tb too and took it off and inspected it... seems to be fine...
Old 08-25-2006, 12:12 AM
monkeydude3
6th Gear Member

well, I'd have a look at the cable and maybe the carpet. Both could easily do it.

What kinda engine you getting?

I'm gonna build my own... ford racing block, forged rotating assembly, aftemarket heads with blower cams... headers, and that's about it. It will eventually have a vortech blower on it after I break it in
Old 08-25-2006, 12:23 AM
BBond007
2nd Gear Member

Hey, before you go crazy,

Try a different compression testor or try the compression testor on a different vehicle.

To give you an idea, my old 96 with a lot of miles gets 155-160 on all 8, but your compression testor might just read low.

Ideally you want to to be pretty close to even on all 8, and to ignore the PSI.

The reason they tell you that is that the testors are not always that accurate, so you are looking for consistancy.

Old 08-25-2006, 12:23 AM
racer02GTstang
5th Gear Member

ive got a MMR 4.6 900 short block. its good to 900+ hp and 8000 rpms. for the heads, im not so sure yet... im trying to find someone to port mine as of now so they have to shipped out. ive got some VT stage 3 blower cams with manley valve springs sitting out in the garage right now... and i got a 7qt oil pan and racing oil pump too... and all arp studs. as of now the blower will only push 10psi till the motor is broke in.... then im going to up the boost to about 17-18psi.

Quick Reply: compression testing.... and problems with GT