4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

CHECK ENGINE LIGHT PROBLEMS

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2006, 06:50 AM
BCJ954

Default CHECK ENGINE LIGHT PROBLEMS

I HAVE A 03 GT WITH 25000 MILES ON IT. AS SOON AS MY 3 YEAR WARRANTY RAN OUT JUNE 1ST MY ENGINE LIGHT COMES ON. I TOOK IT TO AUTOZONE TO HAVE THE CODES READ AND IT SAID MISFIRE ON 2 AND 4. SO I CHANGED ALL 8 SPARKPLUGS WITH AUTOLITE DOUBLE PLATINUM AND GAPPED THEM AT .052. CLEARED CODES AND IT CAME ON AGAIN AND SHOWED MISFIRE ON 2, 4 AND 8 SO I CHANGED THE COIL PACKS ON 2, 4 AND 8. CLEARED THE CODES AND IT CAME BACK ON AND SHOWED A RANDEM MULTIPLE MISFIRE. TOOK IT TO MY MACHANIC AND ALL HE COULD FIND WAS A STOPPED UP FUEL FILTER. REPLACED IT AND NO CHANGE. IT HAS A HISATATION THROUGH ALL GEARS TIL I HIT ABOUT 4000 RPM THEN IT SIETS YOUR HEAD BACK. I AM STUCK NOW AND DON'T KNOW WHAT ELSE TO DO. I REALLY DON'T HAVE THE MONEY TO PAY THE FORD DEALERSHIP TO FIX IT. HAS ANYONE EVER HAD THIS PROBLEM OR ANY SUGGESTIONS ON WHAT ELSE TO TRY NEXT.
Old 08-25-2006, 11:16 AM
Biltsy

Default RE: CHECK ENGINE LIGHT PROBLEMS

Your TPS (throttle position sensor) may be dirty. I had the same problem mechanically, but the codes were for TPS position. When I hammered it, the car would hesitate, then spring up. May be worth your while to have either the TPS checked, or, even your IAC (idle air control valve motor). These are both very easy to clean or replace. Confused thouggh...being that it is only three years old. Did the car sit idle for awhile?

Old 08-25-2006, 12:16 PM
Chopper
5th Gear Member

In addition to all the other things already mentioned the stopped up fuel filter might have allowed some dirt to get by the filter and into the injectors.This really doesn't jibe with the way it's running but try listening to the injectors with a long screwdriver while the engine is running and see if they all sound pretty much the same.Put one end of the screwdriver on the injector and the other end to your ear.The clicking you will hear should be uniform from one to the other.
Make sure all the connections are secure to injectors and coils.
The crankshaft position sensor could have dirt (metal) particles stuck to the magnet and be giving bad readings to the ECU as to when to fire the plugs.Remove this and check it out.it's under the A/C compressor on the passenger side of the engine.
The miss still sounds to me like it's more spark related but try everything before you throw in the towel.
You might also try the sympathy route.Try talking to the service manager and tell him what happened.June IS a while back but they might take the car and run a diagnostic on it for you.You could use this info to fix the car yourself.If this doesn't work try the customer service line to Ford directly,it can't hurt and they might do something for you.
Old 09-11-2006, 04:08 AM
CareBear3030

I just had the same problem with mine today. '02 GT. Took it to AutoZone they say misfire on cyl 1. Could it be the TPS or IAC even though its not throwing a code for those? I am just trying to rule out what I can.

BCJ have you figured out what was the cause of yours?
Old 09-11-2006, 04:15 AM
97targa
5th Gear Member

OHH MY GOD!!! Why does evryone think that evrytime there is a problem that it's the TPS or IAC?? You said you changed everything??What about your plug wires??? They could have cracks in them? You can take silicone spray and hit them up while the engine is running, if your engine dies right down, then you have a hole in your wires! Your IAC would not cause a misfire. And Neither would your TPS. Besides both would show up on a diagnostics check anyways! If your not a mechanic and have no idea what your talking about don't leave a post with bad info!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 09-11-2006, 05:58 AM
joshafmil
4th Gear Member

dont use caps so much... its annoying
Old 09-11-2006, 12:26 PM
TRUBLUE
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 97targa

OHH MY GOD!!! Why does evryone think that evrytime there is a problem that it's the TPS or IAC?? You said you changed everything??What about your plug wires??? They could have cracks in them? You can take silicone spray and hit them up while the engine is running, if your engine dies right down, then you have a hole in your wires! Your IAC would not cause a misfire. And Neither would your TPS. Besides both would show up on a diagnostics check anyways! If your not a mechanic and have no idea what your talking about don't leave a post with bad info!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
if it had plug wires.........