4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Secondary shock removal . . .

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2006, 06:31 PM
ben790450
I ♥ Acer

Default Secondary shock removal . . .

Ok so i talked with my mechanic (he builds race mustangs and has been for over 20 years) about removing the secondary shocks when you get new control arms and he said noooooo. He says that too many ppl do this with their modular mustangs and its a mistake. He said that they are there the cause a slow axle wrap up. No matter what control arm setup you go. If you dont have them (with stock ca) then youll have to fast of a wrap up and youll just slice the tires all the way down. If you dont have them (with tubular CA) then you get to rigid of axle wrap and that can lead to also not hooking up. He says the only way to get good traction is to have the median. He said your best bet is to replace the secondary shocks with some high performance ones. Though it is true that one of the reasons they are there is to stop wheel hop and tubular LCA's eliminate wheel hop they dont control wrap up properly. I guess ppl forget that those shocks have two purposes and they take them off just becuase one of the purposes is solved. Needless to say im leaving mine on (if i ever finish my LCA job![:@]). He races SCCA and drag professionally and holds the local SCCA record in his class (with a 67 mustang with 600 hp) so im going to take his advice haha.
Old 08-26-2006, 05:02 AM
ben790450
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: Secondary shock removal . . .

. . . i bet this one pissed a lot off ppl off haha
Old 08-26-2006, 05:14 AM
04BlueGT
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ben790450

Ok so i talked with my mechanic (he builds race mustangs and has been for over 20 years) about removing the secondary shocks when you get new control arms and he said noooooo. He says that too many ppl do this with their modular mustangs and its a mistake. He said that they are there the cause a slow axle wrap up. No matter what control arm setup you go. If you dont have them (with stock ca) then youll have to fast of a wrap up and youll just slice the tires all the way down. If you dont have them (with tubular CA) then you get to rigid of axle wrap and that can lead to also not hooking up. He says the only way to get good traction is to have the median. He said your best bet is to replace the secondary shocks with some high performance ones. Though it is true that one of the reasons they are there is to stop wheel hop and tubular LCA's eliminate wheel hop they dont control wrap up properly. I guess ppl forget that those shocks have two purposes and they take them off just becuase one of the purposes is solved. Needless to say im leaving mine on (if i ever finish my LCA job![:@]). He races SCCA and drag professionally and holds the local SCCA record in his class (with a 67 mustang with 600 hp) so im going to take his advice haha.
First, the are not 'secondary shocks,' they are axle dampers. They deal only with lateral axle (fwd/rear) movement. Yes, the car will handle a 'little' better with them on, but the difference is ever so small for drag racing. For the average joe on the street, there is no reason really to take them off anyway, unless they are trying to fit 335s out back.

Oh yeah, the '67 mustang didn't have 'secondary shocks', they had leaf springs. If he does not, then his entire rear suspension is after market and that is a whole different story. Either way, it has nothing to do with axle dampers.
Old 08-26-2006, 05:26 AM
ben790450
I ♥ Acer

I didnt say he has them on his 67 DBag everyone and their brother knows that they were leafs. On the street you right they dont make that big of a difference but on the strip (where the ground is sticky and you're racing) It matters. They matter enough for all the racing techs to say keep them on. Wither you're running 245's or 335's it helps traction to keep them on. And i call them "secondaries" so the newbies will have some idea as to what im talking about. Smart ***.
Old 08-26-2006, 09:41 AM
lizzyfan
Underboss

Now, Now, play nice boys!!!
Old 08-26-2006, 10:04 AM
sweet99
4th Gear Member

Yeah it isn't hard to say "thanks blue04Gt I didn't know what they were really called, thanks, appreciate that", as I do as I did not know what nthey were called. I can say that the engineers at Ford are more educated than I am and mine are staying on. By the way 335's fit with them as code3GT has said so and he has 335's. With some of the roads I drive on I am sure they help handling on those washboard type surfaces and I like good handling. mark
Old 08-26-2006, 10:13 AM
04BlueGT
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: sweet99

Yeah it isn't hard to say "thanks blue04Gt I didn't know what they were really called, thanks, appreciate that", as I do as I did not know what nthey were called. I can say that the engineers at Ford are more educated than I am and mine are staying on. By the way 335's fit with them as code3GT has said so and he has 335's. With some of the roads I drive on I am sure they help handling on those washboard type surfaces and I like good handling. mark

ben790450: Yes, I was being something of a smart ***, but from the juvenile way you wrote your post, ". . . i bet this one pissed a lot off ppl off haha," you were looking to stir up some ****, so I obliged you. Stupid me, I should never have encouraged you.

Sweet99: True. However, some manufacturers are wider/narrower. I entertain the possibility of rubbing, especially if hitting the corners hard.
Old 08-26-2006, 11:25 AM
sweet99
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 04BlueGT
ORIGINAL: sweet99Yeah it isn't hard to say "thanks blue04Gt I didn't know what they were really called, thanks, appreciate that", as I do as I did not know what nthey were called. I can say that the engineers at Ford are more educated than I am and mine are staying on. By the way 335's fit with them as code3GT has said so and he has 335's. With some of the roads I drive on I am sure they help handling on those washboard type surfaces and I like good handling. mark
ben790450: Yes, I was being something of a smart ***, but from the juvenile way you wrote your post, ". . . i bet this one pissed a lot off ppl off haha," you were looking to stir up some ****, so I obliged you. Stupid me, I should never have encouraged you.Sweet99: True. However, some manufacturers are wider/narrower. I entertain the possibility of rubbing, especially if hitting the corners hard.
T. I don't know what wheels code3GT was using for those 335's. I have Bullits that are 10.5" wide and a 10.5" is the minimum width recommended for 315's. Maybe code just pushed the envelope a bit and used a 10.5" or somehow got an 11" and got it to fit as it does get tight as I have it. A spacer of minimal thickness would help but I am not a fan of them as going at speed i like my wheels to be secured as best as possible. mark
Old 08-26-2006, 11:27 AM
oxfordgt
6th Gear Member

I'm gonna have to disagree with this. The upper arms locate the axle side-to-side and prevent pinion angle changes (axle wind-up). With the rubber bushings that the factory installs lets wind-up still accure. When you install new upper control arms with much more solid bushings the need for the axel dampners is no longer there. The dampners no longer slow the wind-up because the wind-up does not exist.
Old 08-26-2006, 11:39 AM
sweet99
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 04BlueGT
ORIGINAL: sweet99Yeah it isn't hard to say "thanks blue04Gt I didn't know what they were really called, thanks, appreciate that", as I do as I did not know what nthey were called. I can say that the engineers at Ford are more educated than I am and mine are staying on. By the way 335's fit with them as code3GT has said so and he has 335's. With some of the roads I drive on I am sure they help handling on those washboard type surfaces and I like good handling. mark
ben790450: Yes, I was being something of a smart ***, but from the juvenile way you wrote your post, ". . . i bet this one pissed a lot off ppl off haha," you were looking to stir up some ****, so I obliged you. Stupid me, I should never have encouraged you.Sweet99: True. However, some manufacturers are wider/narrower. I entertain the possibility of rubbing, especially if hitting the corners hard.
Hey Ben it's cool. T. isn't thin skinned. He was kinda expecting guys would give him a hard time as it seems to be the case here when somebody corrects another. I am one of the most disliked people on this site because I say things that seem to rub the masses the wrong way. However I do not do it to get a reaction but to try to get guys to understand that this should be a forum that helps to preserve, restore, modify and generally enhance the driving experience of an American legend, the Mustang. I'm here to learn. Since I have a '99 GT convertible I have the most difficult base new edge Mustang to make quicker. I'll take all of the correction and advice I can get!
Responding as you did afterward shows you are truly mature and considerate and that is refreshing. I have had to apologize more than once for remarks I have made while reacting rather that acting. Now I feel the need to apologize for getting "deeper" than the majority would like to go as they get uncomfortable doing so. It's not just knowing what car you drive but who you are. I have made some good friends that I talk to long distance that I will never meet, none the less they are friends. Peace! mark

Quick Reply: Secondary shock removal . . .