4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

hoping for some help.........

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2006, 12:01 AM
GTGIRL00

Default hoping for some help.........

I recently bought a 2000 procharged GT mustang and im having some serious issues w/it.. I'm just hoping someone can give me some advice since no one here knows anything. It had a massive exhaust leak from missing bolts on the headers but that has been fixed. However its running really rich, blowing black smoke from the pipes, and is completely undrivable. this started happening right before i brought it in to replace the gasket and rebolt the headers, then was fine for a day and started all over again. like i said its procharged, its also chipped. and has quite a few other things done. it throws an IAT code and computer says its running at -40. we swapped out the IAT sensor w/another and checked the wires but that hasnt helped. still throes the code. still runs horrible. the guy that dynoed it before says we need to figure out the IAT issue before we do anything else. if anyone has any advice on why it could be running the way it is, or what the deal w/the IAT sensor is please let me know
Old 08-28-2006, 12:10 AM
doughboy4.6
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: hoping for some help.........

Sounds like if your tunner dont know whats going on you need to find a new tunner.
Old 08-28-2006, 12:24 AM
stang2000
5th Gear Member

do you know what kind of chip is in it? I'd get rid of that chip and get an SCT II tuner and have it dyno Tuned. You can get the correct A/F that way. Evidentally either the chip has gone bad or it was never properly tuned to begin with. A/F around 11.5 is a good leaner A/F Also what color are you injectors? Whould be lime green for 42#'s. What is the Procharger model number, it's stamped right on top of the charger. The guy who dynoed it must not know jack sh*it about it, if he can't tell you anything. Again get it PROFESSIONALLY dynoed at a speed shop that specializes in SCT if you go that route. I never trust chips.

Also if it's been running rich and that black, you're going to need to check the plugs and possibly replace them. they're probably going to be pretty black on the diode from the excessive gas burning incorrectly. Also check your Mass Air Flow and clean it or make sure it didn't come loose from the boots connected to it. Make sure the clamps are tight and or the wires aren't frayed that connect to the MAF. I had a problem with mine popping off the boot one time and it ran like shi*it, with major black smoke. So that's another possibility. Check what type of MAF it is and hopefully it's calibrated to whatever size injectors you have installed.
Old 08-28-2006, 12:31 AM
shuribob
1st Gear Member

I agree totally with Stang 2000....SCTII all the way for the money and then a tuner who knows what they are doing.....A poor tune can mean a blown engine really quick. Also a tuner should be able to fix almost any mechanical problem that comes up, or at least point to you to a qaulity repair facility before they mess around too much. Good luck.
Old 08-28-2006, 12:43 AM
Birdieman4
5th Gear Member

Again get it PROFESSIONALLY dynoed at a speed shop that specializes in SCT if you go that route. I never trust chips.
+1
Old 08-29-2006, 12:53 AM
GTGIRL00

it was tuned in watertown SD but the kid that had it before posted something once about how the tune could have been erased which the guy said is really hard to do, plus the kid was completely clueless and couldnt do a thing for the car himself, thats why he got rid of it. it does have 42# injectors and the MAF is supposed to have been calibrated. it has a diablo chip. just went and bought new plugs yesterday bc the ones it did have got fouled. id love to take it bback to SD to get a retuned but i have no way to get it there right now and that is the closest place for me to do it. he said i can mail the ECU out to him but he doesnt think thats the issue, wants me to try to find other stuff 1st. i need to go check the model # on the procharger but its and 8PSI blower and its the only one procharger makes for my car. i just had it towed up to a friends shop to see if they can possibly find anything any of us couldnt so i cant get all the info right now. it also has this very um...interestingly rigged.....spark enhancer thing. the kid called it "plasma boost" which ive never seen, at least not like this. ???? its a very beautiful car and has a lot of potential. when it was dynoed it had some issues but still had 362h to the wheels and almost 400#s of torque but the thing has been put together by kids that werent quite sure on everything they did and now im paying for it. its starting to drive me crazy so ask me whatever you need to give any answers bc we are stumped
Old 08-29-2006, 01:22 AM
stang2000
5th Gear Member

It's probably a P-1SC. That's what I have. Again you may find it better to dump that chip. It's located in the ECM by the way (passengers kick panel, silver box) Has the chipped stuffed in the end of it.

When I got my chip it was junk and sent it back to have it returned junk again. It's just not a good chip. You need a REAL tuner. I know you already are paying for it, but do it right. Get the SCT II tuner and again make sure the MAF is tuned to the 42# injectors. I wouldn't be driving around much at all, because you'll foul those plugs up again. Also if you're putting plugs in, don't put platinums in and gap them at .033 since you're supercharged. I run NGK TR6 gapped at .033. with an SCT II tuner and a Pro-M Blo Thru MAF.

Also you can tell I must know what I'm talking about because you said your plugs are fouled up. Points for me, lol. I know it's not funny, just check the other things out I mentioned. I've pretty much got the same setup there and mine runs great.

Again, this is what you should do, but it's up to you.

1. Get Rid of Diablo Chip
2. Buy SCT II Excalibur Tuner
3. Change plugs to a cooler running plug NOT platinum and gap at .033
4. Check that MAF and make sure it's tight between the hoses.
5. Find a local SCT Tuner and get it Dyno tuned right.
6. Find those idiots and slap em in the head who messed it up.