4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

I may have a solution to my problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2006, 05:39 PM
amoosenamedhank
5th Gear Member

Default RE: I may have a solution to my problem

I was looking only could find one and that is the picture I posted and I'm confused by the intake.
Old 08-28-2006, 06:39 PM
macdaddyslomo
2nd Gear Member

I dont know, maybe this sounds a little rice, but i saw a mustang in 5.0 magazine in a shootout that had a lightning engine, and they just cut out on the hood where the blower didnt clear....

if your worried about the hole in the hood, you could always cover with a hood scoop...

wouldnt be the first mustang with a hood scoop
Old 08-28-2006, 06:55 PM
amoosenamedhank
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: macdaddyslomo

I dont know, maybe this sounds a little rice, but i saw a mustang in 5.0 magazine in a shootout that had a lightning engine, and they just cut out on the hood where the blower didnt clear....

if your worried about the hole in the hood, you could always cover with a hood scoop...

Assume this all goes through I'm probably just going to run no hood till I can afford to buy a nice cowled glass one.
Old 08-28-2006, 08:41 PM
amoosenamedhank
5th Gear Member

So does anyone know how this lower intake manifold is suppose to work?
Old 08-28-2006, 09:46 PM
SINISTER
5th Gear Member

No idea about the how the intake works, sorry. But I have a question about the 5.4 and maybe you can answer it for me since you may have researched this topic before getting started. It is my understanding that the 5.4 is little more than a stroked 4.6 (and maybe bored a little, I'm not sure). My question is: will the fact that the motor is stroked, and the pistons are being pulled further down, affect how high that motor will be able to rev, as opposed to using a larger displacement motor that was not stroked, such as a motor that was bored out to make the bigger displacement?
Old 08-28-2006, 10:18 PM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

What kind of mods do u have currently that your making 286 rwhp with a nonpi gt
Old 08-28-2006, 10:46 PM
droptoppony
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: macdaddyslomo

That is a girl who posts on Stangnet...the hood is a 4 inch cowl and it still had to have the hole cut in it for the blower. The 5.4 lightning setup is very tall.

Old 08-28-2006, 10:48 PM
droptoppony
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: SINISTER

No idea about the how the intake works, sorry. But I have a question about the 5.4 and maybe you can answer it for me since you may have researched this topic before getting started. It is my understanding that the 5.4 is little more than a stroked 4.6 (and maybe bored a little, I'm not sure). My question is: will the fact that the motor is stroked, and the pistons are being pulled further down, affect how high that motor will be able to rev, as opposed to using a larger displacement motor that was not stroked, such as a motor that was bored out to make the bigger displacement?
The 5.4 block is physically larger then the 4.6 thus the more cubes.
Old 08-28-2006, 10:49 PM
5speedstang
4th Gear Member

he could have a pi swap. but i belive it is h.o hoods has a 4 inch cowl hood. im not sure if it is for your year but i know they have one for 99-04 year. looks bad ***
Old 08-28-2006, 11:10 PM
amoosenamedhank
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: SINISTER

The 5.4 has the exact same bore as the 4.6, but it has an inch longer stroke. So technically it is incorrect to call a 5.4 a stroked 4.6 because the blocks are physically different. You are correct the 5.4 will not spin as high as a 4.6 with identical set ups. Which I guess with a set of 4v heads you could solve that problem. As far as the hood goes I'm looking into a modified K-member to get the engine lower in the car.

Quick Reply: I may have a solution to my problem