4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

How to make mustang handle?

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2006, 11:56 PM
Emanpimpster
3rd Gear Member

Default How to make mustang handle?

What can i do to make my mustang handle?! Its a 2004 gt and the power is ok for now but i want to know what i can do to make it perform well on an autocross type event or just handle better in general. Any brands would be nice also. Thanks in advance, Eric
Old 08-29-2006, 12:02 AM
blueherd02gt
5th Gear Member

Default RE: How to make mustang handle?

http://www.steeda.com/
Old 08-29-2006, 12:18 AM
89Convert
2nd Gear Member

see sig....handles like an m3
Old 08-29-2006, 12:41 AM
zhu04gt
1st Gear Member

http://www.maximummotorsports.com/

The Road and Track Box is awesome if you have the jack. Houston Performance quoted me 3200 installed about a year ago. Not sure what the price is now. Even with that, the next biggest factor in handling is weight distribution. Mustangs have no *** end. I really dont know what the weight distribution is but if I had to guess, I'd say 60/40, which isnt bad for an AWD rally car, but for a RWD muscle car it is xtra ****ty. That solid rear axle doesnt help things either, but you can do a swap if you find a wrecked IRS from a Cobra or Mach 1, or just order one from Ford if you really want one. One other thing you can do is change your tires. Mine came with Goodyear Eagles and I scared the hell outta myself one morning on a cold Oklahoma road. My friends in the car thought it was fun, but they have no idea how close they were to dying that morning. BF Goodrich makes a good mustang tire, I think theyre about 122 apiece. I put Kumhos on my car. They were cheaper than the BF Goodrich tires, and prolly not as good, but they are a ton better than my old Goodyears.

I suggest calling the guys at Maximum Motorsports and at least asking about their R&T Box. It uses no swaybars, which have a way of forcing a car to handle better, rather than just allowing the car to handle better.
Old 08-29-2006, 12:46 AM
98YellohCobra
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: zhu04gt

http://www.maximummotorsports.com/

The Road and Track Box is awesome if you have the jack. Houston Performance quoted me 3200 installed about a year ago. Not sure what the price is now. Even with that, the next biggest factor in handling is weight distribution. Mustangs have no *** end. I really dont know what the weight distribution is but if I had to guess, I'd say 60/40, which isnt bad for an AWD rally car, but for a RWD muscle car it is xtra ****ty. That solid rear axle doesnt help things either, but you can do a swap if you find a wrecked IRS from a Cobra or Mach 1, or just order one from Ford if you really want one. One other thing you can do is change your tires. Mine came with Goodyear Eagles and I scared the hell outta myself one morning on a cold Oklahoma road. My friends in the car thought it was fun, but they have no idea how close they were to dying that morning. BF Goodrich makes a good mustang tire, I think theyre about 122 apiece. I put Kumhos on my car. They were cheaper than the BF Goodrich tires, and prolly not as good, but they are a ton better than my old Goodyears.

I suggest calling the guys at Maximum Motorsports and at least asking about their R&T Box. It uses no swaybars, which have a way of forcing a car to handle better, rather than just allowing the car to handle better.
Are you talking of the same Houston performance in Houston, Texas? just curious I am having them do some work on my car.
Old 08-29-2006, 01:06 AM
zhu04gt
1st Gear Member

Yes, the very same. Back before I bought a house, I had money to screw around with and I was gonna have some work done to my car. Now I live in a money pit and save for a few billet interior touches, my Pony is bonestock.
Old 08-29-2006, 01:23 AM
98YellohCobra
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: zhu04gt

Yes, the very same. Back before I bought a house, I had money to screw around with and I was gonna have some work done to my car. Now I live in a money pit and save for a few billet interior touches, my Pony is bonestock.
Ugh, I feel your pain! I'm about to buy a house in 3 or so months, and won't have as much $$$ to throw at my car after I do. I look forward to having a garage to park my car in though, and I think that makes it worth it

Old 08-29-2006, 02:11 AM
David_K
5th Gear Member

switch to an IRS and get some caster camber plates and a set of 275 up front and youll be good to go. dont mess with maximum motorsports. they are a second grade company. if you have the cash go with griggs if you dont go with UPR. maximum motorsports isnt worth the cash you have to spend to get it
Old 08-29-2006, 03:00 AM
Shifty Powers
3rd Gear Member

CC plates, Upper and lower Controle arms, New shocks/struts, new springs(eiback, H&R,steeda,FRPP), strut tower brace, sub frame connectors.. could go to a tubular K if u wanted

if ur gunna do auto X ull wanna upgrade ur brakes and get some SS brake lines... itl help you in the long run and short run actually..
Old 08-29-2006, 04:22 AM
wwmost
5th Gear Member

irs period. im sure you can find a full irs from a cobra or somthing that wants to move to a solid rear. maybe you would be able to switch?

Quick Reply: How to make mustang handle?