4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Centrifugal S/C BOV Valve

Old 09-12-2006, 09:47 PM
IWinULose
4th Gear Member

Default Centrifugal S/C BOV Valve

There was some talk last week about using a blow off valve on a supercharged application. Anyone have any info on this or know where you can get them? I think in order to use one on a MAF vehicle you would have to use the blowoff valve to redirect the over-boost back to the intake tract somewhere between the MAF and the s/c housing, since the air has already been accounted for by the MAF. If you had your BOV release the air into the engine compartment, I think the computer would over compensate with too much fuel.

PS: This is probably waaaay too technical, since I didn't ask what gears to buy.....haha

Old 09-12-2006, 10:05 PM
sweet99
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Centrifugal S/C BOV Valve

If the MAF is after the BOV you can vent to atmosphere but if the MAF is before the BOV you need to recirculate or get a rich spike in your AFR's. Mark
Old 09-12-2006, 10:50 PM
IWinULose
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: sweet99

If the MAF is after the BOV you can vent to atmosphere but if the MAF is before the BOV you need to recirculate or get a rich spike in your AFR's. Mark
Wouldn't it be pointless to have the BOV before the MAF though?
Old 09-12-2006, 11:03 PM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

You can run a blow off instaed of a bypass on a centri, but you will need to convert to a blowthru setup on your MAF I believe.

The bypass that comes standard on at least the vortech setups runs from the exhaust of the blower to the intake piping on the blower, venting it into the intake after the MAF.
Old 09-12-2006, 11:16 PM
stang2000
5th Gear Member

My BOV is right before the SC between the filter and SC, then the tube running straight out of the SC is where the BOV Tube goes into. The MAF is in the fender well.
Old 09-12-2006, 11:19 PM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: stang2000

My BOV is right before the SC between the filter and SC, then the tube running straight out of the SC is where the BOV Tube goes into. The MAF is in the fender well.
But your running a bypass right? Not a blowoff?

In other words, the valve vents the air from the pressurised side (after the blower) into the intake side (before the blower?)

Old 09-12-2006, 11:36 PM
stang2000
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 2000GT4.6

In other words, the valve vents the air from the pressurised side (after the blower) into the intake side (before the blower?)

Actually vice versa, the vacuum line runs from another intake vaccuum line and runs to the valve which opens up and purges air back into the system right after the SC.
Old 09-12-2006, 11:37 PM
IWinULose
4th Gear Member

He should be running the bypass unless he went with like an sct blow through. I have no clue about that blow through setup though. I would like to convert to one so I could use the blow off instead of the bypass. Call me a ricer, but I love the whoosh sound. =]

I also don't think the blow through design is quite as picky as the suck through from what i have read. But I dunno....I'm just learning on this whole MAF thing...know what it does but trying to figure out what makes it tick and the differences between the 2 designs...
Old 09-12-2006, 11:41 PM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

Actually vice versa, the vacuum line runs from another intake vaccuum line and runs to the valve which opens up and purges air back into the system right after the SC.
right.

I am not talking about the vac lines. the acutal boost is vented from the exit side of the blower, back into the intake side.

You have a bypass valve, not a blowoff. A blowoff will vent the boost into open air.

Edit: everything I have heard is that the blow thru setup is much harder to tune than the suck thru setup.
Old 09-12-2006, 11:43 PM
IWinULose
4th Gear Member

right.

I am not talking about the vac lines. the acutal boost is vented from the exit side of the blower, back into the intake side.

You have a bypass valve, not a blowoff. A blowoff will vent the boost into open air.

Edit: everything I have heard is that the blow thru setup is much harder to tune than the suck thru setup.
And the atmospheric release(BOV) is where the whoosh comes from on turbo'd cars.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Centrifugal S/C BOV Valve