4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Is injector upgrade worth while?

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2006, 06:51 PM
Armydad
3rd Gear Member

Default Is injector upgrade worth while?

I hane'nt read much in the way of swapping out injectors for more flow. Is this not recomended, or can nice gains be made? I have only really dealt with carburated vehicles, so practically no real knowledge about fuel injection.

I am putting together my mod list, so any and all help is appreciated.

Thanks
Old 08-30-2006, 06:55 PM
IWinULose
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Is injector upgrade worth while?

Until you're makin some pretty high numbers, or using forced induction, injectors are really not worth the cash....
Old 08-30-2006, 07:06 PM
Armydad
3rd Gear Member

Thanks for the quick response, it's all I needed to know
Old 08-30-2006, 07:11 PM
amoosenamedhank
5th Gear Member

stock injectors are adequate up to I believe they say 300-320flywheel horse.
Old 08-31-2006, 11:37 AM
Armydad
3rd Gear Member

Thanks, but lets say you want to get to 350hp or there about, would a slight upgrade then be worth while. I'm considereing, steen stg2 ported PI heads, manifold, vt stg2 cams, full exhaust with headers, TB and plenum (75mm), and a good tuning.

At this pint do you think an injector upgade will get me anything? I am not a bigger is better guy, I learned on my 351c that you can over cam and over carburate and build a very expensive dog. But newer engines with injection are a different beast, and I don't want to starve the engine for fuel.

Again thanks
Old 08-31-2006, 11:44 AM
monkeydude3
6th Gear Member

yeah at that point it'd be good. Once you get to 300 or more horsepower and you are still running stock injectors, they are working pretty hard, starting to reach their limits. An upgrade would prevent you from running lean or frying an injector
Old 08-31-2006, 02:48 PM
Armydad
3rd Gear Member

Thanks, I would also imagine that a fuel pump would be needed. Unless there is a regulator on these engines where I could tweek the fuel flow and preuure. I don't know too much about injection, but I know that the flow numbers are at a certain psi, ie 40#@ Xpsi. I would not make a huge change, so maybe stock pump would be ok?

Thanks
Old 08-31-2006, 03:00 PM
ericdiver
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Armydad

Thanks, I would also imagine that a fuel pump would be needed. Unless there is a regulator on these engines where I could tweek the fuel flow and preuure. I don't know too much about injection, but I know that the flow numbers are at a certain psi, ie 40#@ Xpsi. I would not make a huge change, so maybe stock pump would be ok?

Thanks
just from my experience i am pushing close to 375hp now and when i had 75 shot nos with stock car, close to 330hp the car started running lean with 19lbs, i got the SCT tuner installed 24lbs, did pullies, intake, tb, exhaust x pipe and i pushed it to 100 shot and now runs perfect with stock pump and pressure is perfect at wot....so i would guess a fuel pump would be needed at the 400+ mark, but i would personally go with a boost a pump read about them they are the best way to go
Old 08-31-2006, 06:42 PM
Armydad
3rd Gear Member

Thanks alot, great info, but I will polly not be getting to the 400 mark. This was supposed to be a nice weekend driver for me and my better half, but you know what happens. I will probably pull back a little with the mods. I'm thinking

headers (shorty) Ford Racing
Bassani catted Xpipes
Bassani cat back
C&L Plenum
Accufab 75mm TB
pulleys
PI intake kit ( Livernois)
cold air induction
chip and tune

That should put me right around 300-310hp with approx 310-320tq . I will probably not do heads and cams (yet)

Does this sound reasonable to you? Should I do something with the air mass?

As always opinions and info is much appreciated
Old 08-31-2006, 07:08 PM
amoosenamedhank
5th Gear Member

I wish I had my shm book it says the exact horsepower cut off for the injectors. I have 24lbs injectors and 255lph fuel pump. They say after 350 horse to upgrade from 24lbs and move up to like 32 I believe.

Quick Reply: Is injector upgrade worth while?