4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Turbo mustang vs s/c

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2006, 08:22 PM
JJ03MustangGT
5th Gear Member

Default Turbo mustang vs s/c

aight, so im not an expert by any means but i do kinda know my stuff as far as mustangs go. anyway i have been a devoted kenne bell fan for a while now. ive been savin up for the 2.1 for a good bit. so anyway my roomate is mopar till death do em part. he is tryin to convince me into goin with a turbo. im an airplane mechanic and we have em on a few recips here and there but for the most part i not to familiar with em. with the KB i was gonna build the motor the RIGHT way. do i need to do anything different if i go turbo. for now because of financial reasons can the turbo be put on and have the boost kept down, without hurtin the motor. any good companies to go with. any kind of help would be much appreciated. thanx

advantages________

disadvantages_________
Old 08-30-2006, 08:27 PM
Butters
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Turbo mustang

First off, you'd be more than likely going with a twin turbo kit. They usually dont have them just "in stock" and it takes awhile to get em. I hear great things from HP and Hellion. I think you have to wait like 6 months (MAYBE, IDK) for a hellion kit. They seem really nice. They're reallyyy pricey but it'll make you unique, your torque will be INSANE, you can keep it out of boost when you dont want it, andd it doesnt make the motor work to get the hp as a supercharger does. Turbos are always better than superchargers, just the facts.

Down side: BOOST LEAKS SUCK
Old 08-30-2006, 08:30 PM
JJ03MustangGT
5th Gear Member

yea i know that a twin would be better but i honestly cant afford it. not to mention the fact that there really arent to many DEDICATED stang shops round here that i would trust doin a twin turbo on my car.
Old 08-30-2006, 08:34 PM
Butters
3rd Gear Member

I heard single turbos for mustangs are just...horrible, unless they're BUILT for it. Idk, I might be wrong. But to my knowledge, for once, single turbo is NOT the way to go. If your interested in doing a turbo setup. Do it right. HP is not cheap and you almost always get what you pay for, whether it hits you now or later.
Old 08-30-2006, 08:36 PM
GT_Bob
3rd Gear Member

Boost is boost. Whether that boost comes from a supercharger, blower or turbos. Boost is boost.

That being said, it would be more economically practical to stay the route that you are on with the KB. You can get the 2.1 and run a 6-9 psi pulley on it until you put in forged internals, bearings, head studs, etc............

Yes, turbos are nice and I love HP's twin turbo set-up. I'm sure you can waist-gate the boost down on those as well. But I am and always will be a KB fan and I think psi to psi, the KB will hold its own against HP's kit.
Old 08-30-2006, 08:42 PM
JJ03MustangGT
5th Gear Member

yea ima die hard KB fan as well. my goal is 600. but with a single turbo would i need to do anything different as far as cams or heads, cuz i wanted to go with stage 2 blower cams if i went KB
Old 08-30-2006, 09:09 PM
GT_Bob
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: JJ03MustangGT

yea ima die hard KB fan as well. my goal is 600. but with a single turbo would i need to do anything different as far as cams or heads, cuz i wanted to go with stage 2 blower cams if i went KB
If you're going single turbo, you better get a big one if you want 600hp relying on boost and cams only. Not to mention the big time boost lag you'll get from a single large turb.As far as the cams, boost is boost.

Old 08-30-2006, 09:25 PM
Butters
3rd Gear Member

Your being way to vague, and repetative, with your "boost is boost" saying. Yes a KB car will hold its own against a turbo car. If your only looking for 600 horse, forget the turbo, it wouldnt be worth it. Just get your 2.1 KB, it SHOULD (I would imagine) have enough to hit that with just the blower, heads, cam, and of course a few bolt ons. In this sort of situation a turbo just ISNT worth it. Turbos I would recommend if your goal is more like 750+. As for what I said, you should really be doing research to see if a single turbo is even a good choice.
Old 08-30-2006, 09:41 PM
GT_Bob
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Butters

Your being way to vague, and repetative, with your "boost is boost" saying. Yes a KB car will hold its own against a turbo car. If your only looking for 600 horse, forget the turbo, it wouldnt be worth it. Just get your 2.1 KB, it SHOULD (I would imagine) have enough to hit that with just the blower, heads, cam, and of course a few bolt ons. In this sort of situation a turbo just ISNT worth it. Turbos I would recommend if your goal is more like 750+. As for what I said, you should really be doing research to see if a single turbo is even a good choice.

Butters, Butters, Butters. Boost is boost.

After all. You live in a friggn' trash can.

[sm=bangbang.gif]
Old 08-30-2006, 09:55 PM
straitwangin
4th Gear Member

theres a few compays who make kits for the cobra, to replace the eaton blower. and making 800+ hp with stock everything except the heads.

Quick Reply: Turbo mustang vs s/c