4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

I need some suspension experts.

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2006, 03:48 PM
LilGuysWearBowTies
1st Gear Member

Default I need some suspension experts.

So I want to start autocrossing the mustang. I already have 275/40/r17 fronts, and 315/35/R17 rears. I have cobra 13" brakes on the front. and 13" rear brakes using the GT calipers and a relocating bracket. I will be getting race tires as soon as I find another wide set of 03 Cobra wheels on the cheap. I am thinking of running Kuhmo V710's in the same size (or a size bigger) or Hoosier R6 or A6 tires. Other than that, bone stock suspension.

My first question addresses the rear. To my understanding the upper control arms control the side to side movement of the rear end and control axle twist. They suck. So replace it with a watts link or panhard bar. The torque arm does a better job of controling axle twist. I have heard the torque arm is the ultimate rear suspension. The torque arm also offers a greater level of articulation to keep both tires on the pavement better. Stock UCA's bind. Which puts different tractions on the rear tires. Is all of this correct? The lack of a panhard causes snap oversteer.

My question is if I use UPR Pro series rear CA's. (Both upper and lower) that have heim joints on the front and poly bushings in the back, will the heim joints allow me to have the needed articulation to get a better grip when cornering? Keep in mind I will be using stiffer springs and shocks and roll bars along with a panhard bar? Or should I just step up to the Torque Arm?

Will the torque arm work with BBK LT's and O/R X or will I need to modify my midpipe?

For the front suspension. I would love to go with a Griggs racing SLA set up. But this is way out of my price range. I am planning on going with a UPR tubular K, Tubular CA's and coilovers, with UPR's 4 bolt CC plates, UPR Bumpsteer Kit. Do I also need the offset rack busings with the bumpsteer kit?

I need to know what caster and camber I should set it at.

As far as shocks, struts, springs go. I am in the process of finding out if Tokico d Spec Struts shocks and springs are coil over units. If they are, I will go with these. If not, I will go with the MM torque arm rear springs, the stiffer of the two and on the front I will use whatever UPR coilover spring that will work best with the rear springs. I will use either tokico illumina or d spec struts/shocks. Are these good choices? What would you recommend?

I have no idea what to use for anti-roll bars. No clue. I haven't done my homework here yet. I know I want to use poly bushings and shorten the sway bar end links the same as the drop in ride height. So who makes the best what and why do I need it?

Oh. I have a steeda strut tower brace, upper and lower torque box reinforcements waiting to go on the car. If I do a torque arm I will use MM's subframe connectors, If I use UPR CA's I will use Laurel Mountain Mustangs subframes as they seem to be the best available.

I appreciate any help you may have to offer.

Click on the camera thingy to see a pic of my car on the track.

Old 08-31-2006, 09:34 PM
LilGuysWearBowTies
1st Gear Member

Default RE: I need some suspension experts.

Guess we dont have too many suspension experts around here?
Old 09-01-2006, 12:46 AM
code3GT
Mustang Nazi

I only go straight, sorry man.
Old 09-01-2006, 12:59 AM
4.698GT
4th Gear Member

Well I dont know much about the suspension but STAY away from UPR. Anything other then their interior pieces fit like crap. It you need controls on the cheap, check out grantanelli, ask Code/\ about them. For a tubular K member, check Maximum motorsports or Kenny Brown if they are still around.
Old 09-01-2006, 01:07 AM
code3GT
Mustang Nazi

Griggs also makes good stuff.
Old 09-01-2006, 01:44 AM
GT_Bob
3rd Gear Member

This guy nails it on the head when it comes to the mustangs suspension. If you have any questions, just e-mail him and he will most likely answer you.

http://www.miracerros.com/mustang/t_suspension.htm
Old 09-01-2006, 10:51 AM
Chopper
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: GT_Bob

This guy nails it on the head when it comes to the mustangs suspension. If you have any questions, just e-mail him and he will most likely answer you.

http://www.miracerros.com/mustang/t_suspension.htm
+1 and here's another link.

http://www.corner-carvers.com/
Old 09-01-2006, 10:55 AM
03GTGreen
2nd Gear Member

Theres a sticky up top check it out.