4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Pure Oxygen?

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2006, 02:57 AM
GT_Bob
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Pure Oxygen?

ORIGINAL: VARifleman

ORIGINAL: ShadowDrake

Yeah, I'd expect it to blow with 100% oxygen, at least ours... going to 100% oxygen would mean an 80% increase in power for any vehicle... impressive... but with nitrous you can make more still... eh, it's an interesting idea to toy around with at any rate.
Try 426%...that's sucking just oxygen.

Oxygen is denser than air by about 10%, at 1.29 kg per cubic meter at 100kpa and 25 degrees C, as opposed to the 1.168 kg/m^3 that air is. So...1.29 kilos of O2 per cubic meter in box a, 1.168*.21=.24528 kilos in box B, A/B*100%= 526%.

And for ****s and giggles (hey, that's what it does to us), lets factor nitrous oxide into the mix, and we get 1.775 kilos of N2O at the same conditions, which, since we have ~40 mols/m^3 of the molecule in O2 and N2O, we get half as much oxygen per m^3 than pure oxygen when using Nitrous oxide as our "air", so O2 would theortically give twice as much as N2O.

But yes, it will explode. Oxygen will cause reactions with a lot of things, not just the fuel. Got a rubber connection between your intake and throttle? That'll go up. The steel will rust, the oil will burn, the gasoline will explode sending bits of your engine out to Mars.

That deserves an "atta-boy".

[sm=smiley32.gif]

Old 09-01-2006, 02:58 AM
monkeydude3
6th Gear Member

someone knows his sh**

and with the O2, talk about runnin lean lmao
Old 09-01-2006, 03:04 AM
ben790450
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: VARifleman

ORIGINAL: ShadowDrake

Yeah, I'd expect it to blow with 100% oxygen, at least ours... going to 100% oxygen would mean an 80% increase in power for any vehicle... impressive... but with nitrous you can make more still... eh, it's an interesting idea to toy around with at any rate.
Try 426%...that's sucking just oxygen.

Oxygen is denser than air by about 10%, at 1.29 kg per cubic meter at 100kpa and 25 degrees C, as opposed to the 1.168 kg/m^3 that air is. So...1.29 kilos of O2 per cubic meter in box a, 1.168*.21=.24528 kilos in box B, A/B*100%= 526%.

And for ****s and giggles (hey, that's what it does to us), lets factor nitrous oxide into the mix, and we get 1.775 kilos of N2O at the same conditions, which, since we have ~40 mols/m^3 of the molecule in O2 and N2O, we get half as much oxygen per m^3 than pure oxygen when using Nitrous oxide as our "air", so O2 would theortically give twice as much as N2O.

But yes, it will explode. Oxygen will cause reactions with a lot of things, not just the fuel. Got a rubber connection between your intake and throttle? That'll go up. The steel will rust, the oil will burn, the gasoline will explode sending bits of your engine out to Mars.
Haha looks like someone looked up the chemical factors for oxygen haha. I had to go through all them chem and phys classes and certifications for what i do. Well just look at it this way. You've got two torches. Oxy Acetaline and air acetaline. With the oxy it gets up to 3000' and can be much more focused and direct. Your engine would have to be specially build for that sort of thing. As for exploding in the intake oxygen disolved is not combustable. Its only combustable when pressurized and it wouldnt be in the intake. We have to look at how combustion works. You take oxygen and nitrogen and all other things and mix it with your energy (fuel) and you get Carbon dioxide. Every carbon must bind with two oxygens for complete combustion. When you get incomple combustion you get CO. Carbon Monoxide. Thats what makes you fail emmissions and "eats up the o-zone layer." Its produced when you dont have enough oxygen molecules for every carbon molecule. A car doesnt have perfect Carbon Dioxide combustion or it would have exhaust. You would just have water. Everyone knows carbon and hydrogen (from the fuel) are byproducts of combustion. Oxygen is just passing through the engine. In the engine it attaches to carbons through combustion and then moves on. If you have a perfectly effecient car youd just have h20 and C02. No emmisions. Thats what a 0 emmisions car is. This chem lesson is all leading up to a point dont worry. Oxygen injection would work if you could figure out exactly how much carbon your car is making. It actually can be done but in a lab. Not in a world where there are so many other chemicals floating around. Basically you're using the oxygen to make perfect carbon dioxide. That 100% power effeciency. Thats the perfect balance between rich and lean becuase you've found out exactly how much oxygen you need for your fuel. Even our fuel is too diry for that with all the BS additives they put in there. They can do it with propaine (LP) and natural gas though and get really close. Things like furnaces have gotten to where they are almost 100% effecient becuase they know exactly how much gas and oxygen is needed and it is all processed by constant sensors. If you did that using nitrous oxide would be retarted becuase Nitrous is the fuel and the O2 is 2 parts oxygen. Adding that just F*cks you up becuase now you've just thrown more oxygen into the mix and you're running lean despite the combustion agent in N20. Why not then just make an engine that runs on N20 if you want that but i bet i can make a perfect mustang engine that would be 100% effecient and have 0 emissions that would outperform your N20 supercharged engine in everyway and get 100 miles to the gallon. Well not me but "they could." Thats why we put in superchargers too. Our air is $#!+ and all that crap thats in our atmosphere that were trying to steal the oxygen out of just passes right on through the intake and out the pipe. Its wasted space if you think about it. Blame God, the atmosphere, and pollution for your car not being a 2.0 4 banger and having 900 hp.
Old 09-01-2006, 03:08 AM
randy78045
6th Gear Member

Can sumone sum this up for me... ^^^
Old 09-01-2006, 03:11 AM
GT_Bob
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: randy78045

Can sumone sum this up for me... ^^^

I can, it's the battle of the "search, copy and paste".
Old 09-01-2006, 03:11 AM
monkeydude3
6th Gear Member

I think he is saying if you used oxygen properly you could use it to make the car run at the stoich (optimal) air to fuel ratio, 14.7:1.

Seems like it could only happen if you did a crap load of tests that aren't worth the time and effort..
Old 09-01-2006, 03:13 AM
ben790450
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: monkeydude3

I think he is saying if you used oxygen properly you could use it to make the car run at the stoich (optimal) air to fuel ratio, 14.7:1.

Seems like it could only happen if you did a crap load of tests that aren't worth the time and effort..
Yeah that basically sums it up. Haha thanks man!!
VARifleman
3rd Gear Member

I looked it up for air, I calculated the O2 and N2O densities using the Ideal Gas Law.

As for the torches, take the oxy/acetyl torch and cut the fuel...you'll hear a loud pop.
monkeydude3
6th Gear Member

haha no prob. what do you do for a living?
Old 09-01-2006, 03:15 AM
randy78045
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: monkeydude3

Exactly... [sm=alcoholic.gif]

Quick Reply: Pure Oxygen?