4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Short air intake vs CAI from the fender well

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2006, 01:41 AM
Poobs
3rd Gear Member

Default Short air intake vs CAI from the fender well

I finished installing one of the BOMZ ebay CAI today, .The filter is small but I already had a K&N filter.
Bottom line: If you had a stock filter and rubber pipe and go for the cheapo CAI the increase is great and definitely noticeable.

I installed mine in pieces. From a K&N in the stock airfilter housing I first added a C&L MAF. After that I removed the stock air filter housing and connected the K&N directly to the MAF, This short intake felt real good despite the fact that air came from under the hood and was suposedly hot.
Today I added the curved pipe and the small filter that came with the ebay cheapo CAI, There is no improvement that I can feel. Matter of fact I may have lost a bit of power.

I am going to remove this longer curved pipe and go back to the short intake but I will build a metal partition to try to keep the hot air away from the K&N.

My butt says that altough the full CAI picks up colder fender well air the shorter intake makes more ponies - probably the longer pipe joints etc cancell the effect of the colder air from the fender or it shows up at a much higher RPM

What do you guys think ?
Old 08-24-2006, 01:57 AM
sweet99
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Short air intake vs CAI from the fender well

Lots of opinions here! Personally I prefera CAI system. Cooler air means more power. I just installed the JLT CAI and the quality is outstanding with a 4" plastic intake pipe, thick plastic not cheap. Mark
Old 08-24-2006, 03:50 AM
badboystangGT
2nd Gear Member

the JLT is just a PVC pipe
Old 08-24-2006, 11:54 AM
Poobs
3rd Gear Member

I wish we had some dyno results

I'll report back after I go back to the short intak today.

One thing I know works because I have read a bit on it is velocity stacks. The small cheap air filter in my CAI has a small one built in ( molded ) into the inside of it.

later
Old 08-24-2006, 12:20 PM
Dan04COBRA
Super Moderator

There's other mods that give you better bang for your buck. I wouldn't waste much brain power trying to figure out which is best.

The HP gains from a CAI are so minimal that I wouldn't believe or trust any dyno results, as so many variables can create minor HP/TQ increases or losses.
Old 08-25-2006, 01:10 AM
Poobs
3rd Gear Member

Thanks!!! Well I have a flowmaster cat back, pulleys and so I figured intake is next.

I took of the piple that goes to the inside the fender.... It feels more responsive.

I'll try to post a pic.

[IMG]local://upfiles/19358/A6477BEBD0E2472C9AAF55F08FD21249.jpg[/IMG]
Old 08-25-2006, 01:11 AM
code3GT
Mustang Nazi

JLT-FTW
Old 08-27-2006, 12:54 AM
Poobs
3rd Gear Member

I borrowed a 72 inch thermocouple lead and the meter to read it from work.

The plan is to tape the thermocouple at various places under the hood to measure the temperature to see where it is conveneient to pick up cool desnser air.

I don't know what the connection between air temperature - volume and ultimately horsepower is ( ? )

Probably I'll find a place where the air under the hood is realtively cool and hopefully will not need the intake to be any longer or more convoluted.

feel free to chime in guys
Old 08-27-2006, 01:09 AM
white04gt
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Dan04COBRA

There's other mods that give you better bang for your buck. I wouldn't waste much brain power trying to figure out which is best.

The HP gains from a CAI are so minimal that I wouldn't believe or trust any dyno results, as so many variables can create minor HP/TQ increases or losses.
you might be talking about a 2v gt, but I saw a stock cobra before/after tune with a k&n Cai and I swear it dynoed about 20ish extra horsepower
Old 08-27-2006, 01:12 AM
blueherd02gt
5th Gear Member

I've got a bbk CAI (fenderwell) and I am scared to death water's gonna suck into my intake

Quick Reply: Short air intake vs CAI from the fender well