4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Exhaust Sound Question

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2006, 10:53 PM
Gar4pt6
4th Gear Member

Default Exhaust Sound Question

Ok guys, I bought my car and it has a pair of flowmasters on it and thats it for the exhaust. I know that you can't go wrong with flows but everybody and their brother has em. Im thinking of going with a catted X and maybe some LTs (ground clearance damn sportlines) but I still want to be able to hear my stereo. So I guess what im asking is...is it worth it to switch out the flows for a more unique sound and what combo of the catted X and mufflers will create a unique sound yet not be LOUD? Maybe im just asking for it all idk let me know what you guys think. Thanks
Old 08-30-2006, 11:06 PM
lizzyfan
Underboss

Default RE: Exhaust Sound Question

Aahhh!!! The dreaded drone dilemma!!! (pun intended) Sounds like you have Flow 40's. If you go with the 50's it would have a more mellow sound and you can hear your jams!!! Also Dynomax has a mellow one.
Old 08-30-2006, 11:17 PM
geetee03
5th Gear Member

i think your best bet would be to buy a catted-x. unique sound plus more power.

oh sweet i have one for sale! what a coincidence!
Old 08-30-2006, 11:40 PM
meebix
4th Gear Member

Well first of all let me say, its either LTs or go home... And you will not have ANY clearance issues with your drop because I have LTs with a 2 inch drop up front + a body kit much like the saleen, and I have ZERO drivability issues. The only thing I cannot do anymore is speed bumps, which I never encounter anyway. But driveways, inclines, anything like that is FINE.

If you want a loud, but clean setup, grab a catted X pipe with the LTs and a catback of your choice. I have heard LM2's with that setup and it is LOUD, but VERY clean. If you decided not to go with a LM or a Stinger type straight thru catback, any chambered catback would be quieter, but even more clean.

If you want something that won't be LOUD... Grab a Magnaflow Catback with the LTs and catted X. That would sound excellent and not overly loud at all.

You can't go wrong with a catted X in the middle, and the LTs help to tone the sound. Good luck!
Old 08-31-2006, 12:23 AM
CrazyDan
2nd Gear Member

you could alwways just get a louder stero system they sell the bad @$$ loud ones at the flea markets (tho sum are stolen but who cares) that'll save u sum money and still have ur car loud
Old 08-31-2006, 12:26 AM
timi
2nd Gear Member

i had flowmaster catback (40's) on the auto i had. i also had a craping out stock stereo that played only the right side! i still heard my radio. now i have borla stinger catback. i will have soon bassani off road x and headers. turn your radio up or sell the car
Old 08-31-2006, 12:47 AM
CrazyDan
2nd Gear Member

hell yea **** havein your hearing wen ur old
Old 08-31-2006, 12:52 AM
Gar4pt6
4th Gear Member

I agree 100% that LTs are the way to go but the problem is that my High School is FULL of speedbumps it is absolutly rediculus. Im thinking of switching out the sportlines for a prokit but thats 200 bucks that could go to performance so idk about the LTs at this point. As far as the stereo goes I have 2 10" Alpine Type Rs with a 1200W amp and some nice speakers...no upgrades needed there.

Thanks for the info guys
Old 08-31-2006, 01:02 AM
geetee03
5th Gear Member

i scrape my lt's on speed bumps and i have the pro-kit. If i have four people in the car i will scrape on driveways. i def had to change my driving habits. Maybe just wait till you can do lt's.

vvv magnflow catted-x. 200shipped vvv
Old 08-31-2006, 01:06 AM
hotrod7687
3rd Gear Member

I have the flow 40's with an o/r h and i dont think its too loud. I can still hear my radio just fine unless i keep the rpm's over 3k. If your looking for a nice deep tone, look at the dynomax ultra flows. They are about hlaf as loud as the 40's but give a very deep sound. They are also some of the best flowing mufflers you can get for the price, much better flow than the flowmasters.

Quick Reply: Exhaust Sound Question