4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Help with starter motor

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2006, 06:21 PM
Stuff

Default Help with starter motor

Hello guys. Im right in the middle of working on my friends 03 Gt. We are putting in some bbk long tubes. I have x-pipe disconected at the cat back part and on the driver side. My problem right now is I cant get the starter mortor off. I got the one lower bolt off and one upper one. How many bolts are there? The motor does not want to move so I guess there is one more. Any pictures,diagrams or write ups would help. Thanks a lot!!!
Old 09-02-2006, 06:24 PM
97targa
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Help with starter motor

There should only be two bolts!!! One pain in the *** top one and pne lower one. The starter may be wedged. Try turning the motor with a wrench by hand.
Old 09-02-2006, 06:40 PM
Stuff

ORIGINAL: 97targa

There should only be two bolts!!! One pain in the *** top one and pne lower one. The starter may be wedged. Try turning the motor with a wrench by hand.

Thanks a lot. Yeah that top one was no fun. Good to know there are no more bolts. Bad thing is the starter will still not come off. How do you turn the motor by hand? I tried shaking and pulling on the motor but it would not come off. Thanks again.
Old 09-02-2006, 07:33 PM
Cornbread01
4th Gear Member

there is an easy way to get the starter off if you have about a foot and a half of extensions you can get the straight on through a gap by the k-member very easy to get both bolts
Old 09-02-2006, 07:45 PM
Stuff

ORIGINAL: Cornbread01

there is an easy way to get the starter off if you have about a foot and a half of extensions you can get the straight on through a gap by the k-member very easy to get both bolts
Yeah thats what I did. I now have both bolts off (there are only 2 right....one low/very easy to get to.....and one high that I got with the etensions....right?). The trouble is the starter motor will not come off. I have pulled and pulled on it and not a budge.[:@] Any ideas?
Old 09-02-2006, 07:50 PM
Cornbread01
4th Gear Member

it should just pop out mine kinda fell out on me try to pry it off with a big screw driver or try to fit the flat head inbetween the starter and the engine yea and only two bolts
Old 09-02-2006, 07:50 PM
GT_Bob
3rd Gear Member

Give it a good wack with a rubber mallet at the base of the starter motor.
Old 09-02-2006, 09:16 PM
stang2000
5th Gear Member

Damn it you beat me to it, lol Whack her with a rubber mallet.
Old 09-02-2006, 10:56 PM
97targa
5th Gear Member

Default RE: TRY PUTTING IT IN NUETRAL!!

Yeah what the title says....nuetral that's if it's a stick. If you jacked it up in gear and the back tires are on the ground you prob. have a lot of pressure on the flyewheel with the clutch.
Old 09-03-2006, 01:28 AM
Stuff

Default RE: TRY PUTTING IT IN NUETRAL!!

ORIGINAL: 97targa

Yeah what the title says....nuetral that's if it's a stick. If you jacked it up in gear and the back tires are on the ground you prob. have a lot of pressure on the flyewheel with the clutch.
Guys I have beat the hell out of the thing. I wacked it several times with a ruber mallet. I have grabed it with both hands and have shaken the crap out of it. The transmission its self was moving and still nothing. Its like it is welded in there!!! Its a stick and its possible we jacked it up in gear. When I just went and looked at it its in neutral. Lets say we did jack it up in gear what should we do next? Lower car put in neutral then raise again?

Also does anyone have a guided to the install? Its not rocket science but a few tips here and there could help out and pics would be a plus. Thanks a lot for all your help

Quick Reply: Help with starter motor