4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Order of Mods

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2006, 02:49 AM
LvGordo
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Order of Mods

if you got the dough, do a s/c, then each mod will yeild better results.
Old 09-05-2006, 11:39 AM
pallidamors
Banned

I dunno about you guys, but I am definatly on a budget, and it takes me awhile to spend any more money after a big purchase. That means months (or years) of running around with a car that has 10k in the engine/boltons that makes 300~ WHP, and isn't running right cause I set it up for FI (low compression, blower cams, etc etc). To me, that sucks pretty bad. Nothing says embarassment like getting beat by a exhaust only LS1 in a 10K aftermarket invested car.

Not only that, but I have a 400 dollar C&L setup just sitting in my garage collecting dust now, because it is not compatible with the blower setup. This isn't even mentioning the BOATLOAD of cash I spent trying to get the car tuned (2 differen't diablo chips + tunes) that are now totally useless, because the company I bought the blower kit from uses SCT (thankful for that, even if it cost me more money) Nothing worse than buying parts and then not being able to use em down the road, because they will not work with your setup.
My thoughts exactly. People on this forum say do every bolt on imaginable and then just throw a blower on it. I dont know about you guys but all of the bolt ons, then a supercharger, then this and that. bla bla... If I were to add a bolt on every few months and continue to drive the car by the time I have all the bolt ons and a supercharger its time for a new engine because I have driven it for 5 years lol. What I am getting at is that it is easy to say add this or that and not think about the $ involved. I am looking for the most cost effective mods here.

James
Old 09-05-2006, 02:33 PM
ben790450
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: pallidamors

I dunno about you guys, but I am definatly on a budget, and it takes me awhile to spend any more money after a big purchase. That means months (or years) of running around with a car that has 10k in the engine/boltons that makes 300~ WHP, and isn't running right cause I set it up for FI (low compression, blower cams, etc etc). To me, that sucks pretty bad. Nothing says embarassment like getting beat by a exhaust only LS1 in a 10K aftermarket invested car.

Not only that, but I have a 400 dollar C&L setup just sitting in my garage collecting dust now, because it is not compatible with the blower setup. This isn't even mentioning the BOATLOAD of cash I spent trying to get the car tuned (2 differen't diablo chips + tunes) that are now totally useless, because the company I bought the blower kit from uses SCT (thankful for that, even if it cost me more money) Nothing worse than buying parts and then not being able to use em down the road, because they will not work with your setup.
My thoughts exactly. People on this forum say do every bolt on imaginable and then just throw a blower on it. I dont know about you guys but all of the bolt ons, then a supercharger, then this and that. bla bla... If I were to add a bolt on every few months and continue to drive the car by the time I have all the bolt ons and a supercharger its time for a new engine because I have driven it for 5 years lol. What I am getting at is that it is easy to say add this or that and not think about the $ involved. I am looking for the most cost effective mods here.

James
Thats why you need to plan ahead. Buy your blower, cams, and heads at whatever time you want but PLAN AHEAD! If you want a blower then get blower heads and cams and let them sit. If you save up youll get more back. Doing a good setup like that will get you 600 rwhp as apposed to just throwing on a blower and getting 400rwhp. Be patient and youll get it all back. You think i like being 280 rwhp lol? I could afford to go get a vortech and make 450 rwhp and call it a day but i want a KB or twin turbo and heads and *custom* ground cams for it all. Save up. Save the parts. Do it all at once. Then get a custom tune and custom cams for it all. Youll blow every impatient Dbag with a bolt on S/c away.
Old 09-05-2006, 02:39 PM
LvGordo
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: pallidamors

James
you asked about order of mods. people piled on with a s/c. i did as well until i went back to your post subject about 2K. Gears, exhaust, upr/lwr ca's and drs.
Old 09-05-2006, 02:49 PM
idcoocheimonster
3rd Gear Member

I say cold air intake as one of the last. Take a look at our stock intake. Most kits dont compare in size to it. Sure you get a bit of cooler air and don't get the ripple effect. But still I say full exhaust first and foremost!
Old 09-05-2006, 06:44 PM
ben790450
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: idcoocheimonster

I say cold air intake as one of the last. Take a look at our stock intake. Most kits dont compare in size to it. Sure you get a bit of cooler air and don't get the ripple effect. But still I say full exhaust first and foremost!
You're shooting yourself in the foot here becuase you're saying that a new exhaust is so much better than a stock one but a new intake is not much better. The new intake flows a smoother, cleaner pattern of air. The same deal with the new exhaust. Its all not that much better than stock. Just is 2.5" instead of 2.25" and has less sound deadening. If you did headers and off road x pipe then compaired stock exhaust to a catback system you wouldnt see that much of a gain. Just its noisier. Same deal with an air intake. Change to 75 mm TB and UI and 88 mm MAF and you wont notice that big of a difference changing the stock one to an aftermarket one. Its the other parts that make the power increase. Plus they're all really cheap so its not hard to get it all. I just got one so id have some shiney chrome under my hood. One big thing i did notice though is i used to have just a CAI that terminated like the stock one did and i swaped it out to one that goes down and works like a ram air with the terminator cobra front bumper and the cold air rammed into the intake makes a difference. I can really feel it when the car gets hot.
Old 09-05-2006, 11:51 PM
SINISTER
5th Gear Member

Gears first, period. It's the thing you'll notice the most out of any mod other than a supercharger, turbo, or Nitrous. A CAI is a good idea, but you're going to be spending a few hundred bucks on something that doesn't do much for the car and you aren't going to notice. If I was starting over again, I'd do gears first, then lower it, get better rims/tires for traction, then just save up for a supercharger or turbo. It's just hard when you have $300 in your pocket, you know you can get something right then and there, as opposed to waiting for another $300 or so to do the gears. Just my $0.02.