4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Lifting car for installing X-Pipe?? and other ???s

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2006, 04:42 AM
ChrisZio04GT
1st Gear Member

Default Lifting car for installing X-Pipe?? and other ???s

I just ordered slp catted X-pipe, and o2 ext. and was wondering if I could install it pretty easy with a couple jack stands and do it in the garage, doing the catback was cake, I know its not really easy but you guys know what I mean. I plan on it taking me atleast couple hours. If so where should I place the jack stands, I work at a shop and lift cars all day, but there not my cars so who cares ....... I got my air tools and PB blaster all set for the job. We have all sets of lifts at my work (pepboys) but I know when I get it I will want to install it that night, but if I do it at work, I will have to wait till the boss has a day off.

Just wondering who else did it themselfs, and if they got some tips, I read endless amounts of Xpipe threads and no1 really posted about how there install went, just always asking which one to get or if they should get an H.

Also I just got my SCT tuner last week and I am so in love with it. I love chirping 2nd with my auto and if anyone is looking for a tuner get the SCT, well worth the money, I raced an WS6 of the line and kept up with him pretty good, I WOT it and passed him up right off the line, im sure he didnt WOT it but when he passed me around 90mph he gave me thumbs up and yelled damn kid that shifts hard.

Question with the SCT Tuner.
When I get my xpipe installed, do I just replug in my tuner and tell it I have an xpipe now? or do I need to get a whole new tune? I am not really sure how the tuner works, when I bought it they asked me questions and tuned it for me. The most detail on this would be great!!!

PS. Its a 2004 GT, Auto if it means anything.

Thanks for the help in advance,
Chris.
Old 09-07-2006, 10:27 AM
SNORX302
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Lifting car for installing X-Pipe?? and other ???s

The best place to put the jackstands would be on the k member up front-You're gonna want to get the car up really high. I was working with a 12 ton truck jack. The car was about 4 feet in the air. It was plenty of room, but still got tight in some areas. You're also gonna want a second person helping you with this install. That stock midpipe can be pretty heavy and awkward when it's lying on top of you pinning you to the floor. Took about 2-3 hours and I did it in the rain. As far as the tuner-I bought the MILs, but I think the SCT has an area to turn off the 02 sensors after a midpipe install-You may wanna read up a little more on that.
Old 09-07-2006, 11:44 AM
hotrod7687
3rd Gear Member

I jacked up my car on both ends so it was level about 3ft off the ground. That gave me plenty of room in the front and back. Before you start to take anything apart, get a can of PB penetrating spray and use it on all the bolts. Do that about 3 or 4 times in an hour, i did it while waiting for mine to cool down.

You defenately need a friend with you. I did mine by myself and it was a pain. The hardest part doing it alone was being able to hold the mufflers in place while i tightened up the back bolts. The mufflers want to shift and throw off the tail pipes [:@]

Make sure you leave all the bolts loose unitl you get everything in place. Start from the engine and work your way back when tightening everything up. I started from the back and worked forward and it leaked. had to do it again the other way and no leaks.
Old 09-07-2006, 01:40 PM
70 MACH I
3rd Gear Member

I put the exact pipe on the car, LOVE IT! You will have problems releasing and re-fastening the front O2 sensors, they are incredibly tight, especially the left side, the connector is almost at the top of the bell housing.

Releasing the bolts on the RS flange can also be a pain in the *** without right tools. I used a long and short "wobble extension" and deep socket to remove them. As to the O2's, use a loooooong screwdriver to reach the button on the connector, while tugging on the sensor lead, it will release. To install it, is the real bitch!!! Take a coat hanger 12 - 14" long, create a loop on the end 1/2" long X 1/4" wide. Bend it 90 degrees. On the opposite end, create a handle by bending wire 90 degrees. Now, use your tool to hook the female sensor plug up by the bell housing, take a thin long screwdriver and guide the male sensor plug up to the female plug, align it, while pulling down on the coat hanger push up on the screwdriver till they mate and seat with a snap. It may take a cpouple of tries to get it, it's a pain, but doable.

John
Old 09-07-2006, 03:53 PM
ChrisZio04GT
1st Gear Member

Wow Great info guys you guys are the best, I thought the o2s would be the easiest part of the job =).

Ok I got the installation part down but what do I do about the tuner? I was just wondering if adding an xpipe would change the tune around a bit... or do I just put the xpipe on and dont worry about the programmer?

I'm new with the programmer stuff =)
Old 09-07-2006, 04:18 PM
hotrod7687
3rd Gear Member

Changing the pipes out by itsself shouldnt change anything about the tune. If you get a cat-less mid pipe you will need something to turn the rear O2 sensors off. A tuner can do this or you can get mil eliminators, which plug into the rear O2 sensors and trick them into thinking that everything is normal.

Old 09-07-2006, 05:20 PM
newb2000GT
4th Gear Member

Save yourself 30 minutes and just unscrew the front O2's before you even start. There's enough slack in the wires to get a 22mm open end wrench up there and remove them - just let them hang and untwist when removed. It also gives your hand more room when putting the new X-pipe on. I also pre-twisted them before installing them on the new X-pipe so that once I toghtened them down the wires were straight again.

Off of your impact run a long extension, a universal, then your short extension, and then the deep well socket on the passenger side. The driver side is almost a straight shot but a long extension with a universal before the deep well should be enough. Took me awhile the first time and can now do it in an hour or so by myself.

If you don't want a leak make sure you buy a new passenger side gasket. Ford has them for $12-$15 or see if a parts store by you can get one for cheaper. Either way, make sure you replace it - take it from someone who was told not to do it and ended up with a leak. Pulling the X is not bad but doing it twice because of a $12 gasket is lame.

Good luck.