4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

White Smoke out exhaust.

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2006, 03:39 PM
II 98 GT II
4th Gear Member

Default RE: White Smoke out exhaust.

To me, it seems like that could be the problem. Those things are the weakest part of the NPI engine. Mine sprung a leak near the thermostat housing a couple weeks ago. My coolant was leaking out of the intake and not into the intake, so I wasn't getting any smoke or anything. I just figure that it's possible it could be leaking into the manifold.

Just throwin' an idea out there...
Old 09-08-2006, 01:15 AM
chrissilver3975
2nd Gear Member

Ok have another question.. Could it be a cracked head gasket. Its really thick white smoke that seems to smell a little like antifreeze. Changed spark plugs a while back and found a little residue of antifreeze on plug.
Old 09-08-2006, 01:22 AM
GT_Bob
3rd Gear Member

Here is an obvious question. Are you loosing coolant? I.E., are you having to continually fill up the radiator?

Old 09-08-2006, 01:28 AM
ackuric
4th Gear Member

its probably your intake, 300$ for parts, replace yourself 0$ labor, decent shop labor 240$, bad shop labor, 500+

good luck. hope its not head gasket(s)
Old 09-08-2006, 01:29 AM
chrissilver3975
2nd Gear Member

I havent driven it enough to notice. Its just been sitting.
Old 09-08-2006, 03:16 AM
GT_Bob
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: chrissilver3975

I havent driven it enough to notice. Its just been sitting.

If you open the hood and don't see a leak, how can it be the manifold cross-over? When the plastic cross over goes bad, it leaks externally. I may be wrong on that though. When you get your license back, drive it around a while. If it's smoking real bad, and if it's an internal coolant leak, you'll notice if you're loosing coolant or not. Especially since you said it was a "thick white smoke that seems to smell a little like antifreeze". Don't jump to conclusions though. If it's burning oil, you more than likely will not be able to tell by checking the oil level with the dip stick but the smoke will have a grayish tint to it. Not to mention you can smell burning oil a mile away. Drop the oil and see if any milky white stuff comes out after the oil has drained. That will not help you so much if it's a slight head gasket leak into the combustion chamber but if it's a bad enough head gasket leak, you'll find water in the oil. It isn't abnormal to have a compression test check o.k. and still have coolant seepage into the cylinder. What is throwing me off is that you said it was fine before you parked it. Head gaskets don't go bad from sitting. Plastic intakes don't go bad from sitting. Valve guides do though. But it takes more than a couple of months. More like years.

Hell, I don't know.
Old 09-08-2006, 07:20 AM
firstonraceday96
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: chrissilver3975

Ok have another question.. Could it be a cracked head gasket. Its really thick white smoke that seems to smell a little like antifreeze. Changed spark plugs a while back and found a little residue of antifreeze on plug.
Its most likley your head gasket. go to an auto parts store ASAP and buy a compression tester for 20 bucks and do one and post your numbers. Coolant on your spark plugs is really bad you WILL need a new motor if your cylinders have been washed with coolant.
Old 09-09-2006, 04:39 PM
chrissilver3975
2nd Gear Member

ok I'm gonna do the compression test beginning of next week. what i need now is to know if it is the head gasket, how much is the part and how much for labor. Is it worth getting a new head gasket put in on a 110k mile car or should I look into a new engine? Thanks for the help. I'll post the numbers from the test as soon as I get around to doing it.
Old 09-09-2006, 04:52 PM
Gaspi101
3rd Gear Member

You're all overreacting, and probably wrong. Almost every car bellows out white smoke when you start it up in the morning. This is caused by the night's moisture that has developed in the pipe, and is soon evaporated by the exhaust heat. If the smoke only appears for about 20-30 minutes when you start the car in the morning, then there is no question, this is it.

It cannot be a coolant issue, a compression issue, an o2 sensor issue, or a fuel delivery issue if the problem goes away after the engine reaches optimum operating temperature.

Dude, don't worry about it. The only kind of smoke that should worry you is either gray/black smoke, or smoke that actually smells of coolant. Just my 2 cents.
Old 09-09-2006, 05:06 PM
chrissilver3975
2nd Gear Member

Well It keeps smoking even after its reached normal running temp. When it first started smoking, it smokes for nearly an hour, the entire time it was running. We drove it to my house and parked it until I could figure out what was wrong with it.

Oh and something I left out. Not only is it smoking but also runs rough. Delayed throttle response and rough idle.

Quick Reply: White Smoke out exhaust.