MustangForums.com

MustangForums.com (https://mustangforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang (https://mustangforums.com/forum/4-6l-1996-2004-modular-mustang-7/)
-   -   White Smoke out exhaust. (https://mustangforums.com/forum/4-6l-1996-2004-modular-mustang/177064-white-smoke-out-exhaust.html)

chrissilver3975 09-07-2006 02:58 PM

White Smoke out exhaust.

Here's the deal. I lost my license two months ago (speeding). My 98 GT had been sitting in my driveway for two weeks. I had to use it one day and had my friend drive. We took it 20 miles with no problems but when we started it up the next day it started pouring white smoke out of the exhaust. I took it to a local auto parts store and had them test it with their computer. They said it was bad oxygen sensors. After ordering new ones and installing them I started up the car and let it run with no improvements. I just installed them today so I havent had it checked with a computer yet but need some help. Called a friend and they said it could be spark plugs that arent working properly or fuel injectors that need to be cleaned. Because it has been sitting I would guess fuel injector cleaner but I'm broke until tomorrow so I want to check with the forum before I go and buy more stuff. Thanks

firstonraceday96 09-07-2006 03:08 PM

RE: White Smoke out exhaust.

first off the shop you went to is a bunch of dumbasses, Ive heard so many times of people takin a car to a shop when the car was smoking and they say 02 sensors. If its white smoke then most likely burning coolant id do a compression test, as for the plugs and injectors they should have nothing to do with your problem. Most likley a coolant leak somewhere.

Dan04COBRA 09-07-2006 03:11 PM

They told you it was bad O2 Sensors? Hah!

Then your friend said spark plugs and maybe your injectors?

Okay, don't ask that store for advice & tell your friends to stick with riding their bicycles, because they just made ya waste some money.

White smoke = coolant. Most likely a head gasket. However, cars with age, when they sit, will tend to puff a little white or little blew smoke on start-up after sitting for a while. I'd start the car, let it idle a bit, rev it and see if the smoke goes away or stays the same before you go tearing into the engine at the moment, if you are strapped for cash.

chrissilver3975 09-07-2006 03:15 PM

Well we did a compression test and no leaks. I let it idle and rev it and still white smoke..

Derf00 09-07-2006 03:17 PM

Then it's not the head that's leaking. It's probably the intake water ways are leaking and the moisture from the intake is getting sucked into combustion chamber.

firstonraceday96 09-07-2006 03:19 PM

what were you're compression numbers?

chrissilver3975 09-07-2006 03:21 PM

Well at my work their is a mechanic that comes in regularly and he did the compression test one night while I was there.

II 98 GT II 09-07-2006 03:28 PM

Do you still have the stock intake manifold with plastic coolant crossover?

chrissilver3975 09-07-2006 03:32 PM

Yep. Everything is stock.

firstonraceday96 09-07-2006 03:37 PM

take off your upper thermostat housing and see if shes cracked