4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

intercooler.//

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2006, 03:50 AM
ShadowDrake
5th Gear Member

Default RE: intercooler.//

ORIGINAL: 2000GT4.6

Now all you need off of the KB site is injectors, pump, plugs, filter, new IAT, MAF,(were you gonna run the stocker?) air filter and a custom tune (with a handheld/chip complete suicide to use the generic chip/tune from KB on a non forged 2v, not to mention no power) .....

Same thing on the vortech site. Comes with a fuel pump, but no mention of plugs, injectors, filter, IAT, MAF, air filter, tune (with handheld or chip) etc etc etc

All this little stuff adds up quick. I want to say the injectors alone are 250~ bucks? MAF is fairly expensive. Fuel pumps are 200+ etc etc etc Plus, find me a site you can acutally buy the KB from at that price. Thats the price they list, but I have never heard of anyone buying direct from KB website??

I am not following anyone around proving them wrong, but if you post something non realistic then I will point it out.

DVS-GT: My kit is non intercooled, comes from www.modularpowerhouse.com, look for the mongoose kits on their site. Comes with all the little stuff you need for install.
That includes injectors, boost-a-pump, at least from KB... no need to swap the fuel pump for the 2.1L, especially on the factory shortblock, the boost-a-pump covers the difference. No MAF but it's possible to get by unless you want to max out the factory shortblock or go further... no swap here means no IAT. You're throwing the price of an air filter in there too? Let's include the price of food that you'll be eating over the weekend you're installing it too [&:]

Yes you'll need a REAL tune, but that goes for ANY forced induction period... yeah there's extra costs but you can get the parts for less than $5000. A tune is what, $400-700, so you're looking at $6000 TOPS for the KB kit that can max out your factory shortblock and slightly beyond. Even when you include these to the base $3900 for the KB, +500 for tune is $4400, You've got $600 for a MAF and a set of spark plugs before you hit $5000 where the kit "starts at." If you give KB a call, tell them what you want, give them payment and shipement info I'm sure they'll send out one for you at list price... no, they don't have an online store, but they do take orders by phone.

The whole thing is a bit more affordable than you're making it out to be, it's one thing to make people aware of the little extra costs, it's another to inflate that number.

An alternative to a MAF (~$300) is DiabloSport's MAFia, which is in the range of $170-$200 if I'm not mistaken. Just some other things to consider.
Old 09-08-2006, 04:01 AM
raceerx_deletedbyrequest
I ♥ Acer

Old 09-08-2006, 04:06 AM
LvGordo
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: raceerx

dvs_03gt
4th Gear Member

Status: offline so if i was running 9psi maybe less with no intercooler how bad is that? how about if it were only for a while?

and 20004.6 is ure vt-sq intercooled or not? how do you like it?

DONT DO IT! WITHOUT A COOLER ON THE VORTEC THE AIR INTAKE WILL BE OVER 140 DEGREE'S. IF YOU GO TO THE TUNER HE WILL HAVE TO DETUNE IT TO STOP DETONATION. THEN YOU WILL NOT SEE GOOD HP NUMBERS UNTIL YOU LOWER THE TEMP DOWN. THAT VORTEC IS DESIGNED FOR 8PSI MAX, AND THEY SAY THAT BECAUSE THEY KNOW ITS LIMITATIONS WITH THE ROMEO 4.6 BLOCK. WITH A AFTER COOLER AND SOME SNOW PERFORMANCE METH INJECTION KIT, YOU CAN ACHIEVE 85 DEGREES INTAKE TEMPS. THE COLDER THE FASTER. WHEN OTHER SUPERCHARGED CARS ARE ******* IN THE HEAT YOULL BE SHINNING. DONT EVEN RUN IT FOR ONE HARD RUN TO ANSWER YOUR QUESTION.

2000 GT Windsor block HCI Motor, 14.1 boost, 489 ft lbs torgue, 605 RWHP
ugh.
Old 09-08-2006, 04:16 AM
raceerx_deletedbyrequest
I ♥ Acer

**** YOURSELF
Old 09-08-2006, 05:12 AM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ShadowDrake

ORIGINAL: 2000GT4.6

Now all you need off of the KB site is injectors, pump, plugs, filter, new IAT, MAF,(were you gonna run the stocker?) air filter and a custom tune (with a handheld/chip complete suicide to use the generic chip/tune from KB on a non forged 2v, not to mention no power) .....

Same thing on the vortech site. Comes with a fuel pump, but no mention of plugs, injectors, filter, IAT, MAF, air filter, tune (with handheld or chip) etc etc etc

All this little stuff adds up quick. I want to say the injectors alone are 250~ bucks? MAF is fairly expensive. Fuel pumps are 200+ etc etc etc Plus, find me a site you can acutally buy the KB from at that price. Thats the price they list, but I have never heard of anyone buying direct from KB website??

I am not following anyone around proving them wrong, but if you post something non realistic then I will point it out.

DVS-GT: My kit is non intercooled, comes from www.modularpowerhouse.com, look for the mongoose kits on their site. Comes with all the little stuff you need for install.
That includes injectors, boost-a-pump, at least from KB... no need to swap the fuel pump for the 2.1L, especially on the factory shortblock, the boost-a-pump covers the difference. No MAF but it's possible to get by unless you want to max out the factory shortblock or go further... no swap here means no IAT. You're throwing the price of an air filter in there too? Let's include the price of food that you'll be eating over the weekend you're installing it too [&:]

Yes you'll need a REAL tune, but that goes for ANY forced induction period... yeah there's extra costs but you can get the parts for less than $5000. A tune is what, $400-700, so you're looking at $6000 TOPS for the KB kit that can max out your factory shortblock and slightly beyond. Even when you include these to the base $3900 for the KB, +500 for tune is $4400, You've got $600 for a MAF and a set of spark plugs before you hit $5000 where the kit "starts at." If you give KB a call, tell them what you want, give them payment and shipement info I'm sure they'll send out one for you at list price... no, they don't have an online store, but they do take orders by phone.

The whole thing is a bit more affordable than you're making it out to be, it's one thing to make people aware of the little extra costs, it's another to inflate that number.

An alternative to a MAF (~$300) is DiabloSport's MAFia, which is in the range of $170-$200 if I'm not mistaken. Just some other things to consider.
If you look closely, ALL your are getting for the KB kit is the blower, chip (useless) and the boost a pump.

For one thing, I sure as hell don't trust the boost a pump on anything approaching 400 WHP with the stock fuel pump. If you want to trust your factory shortblock that will be ruined at the slightest lean condition to a system that will overstrain your puny stock pump, I guess thats up to you. If you notice, anyone running anything but the 5 or 6 PSI pulley from KB is running a aftermarket pump.

Also, I have never seen anyone run more than 380~ WHP on a non intercooled KB setup. There simply is no way to pull timing on the KB setup, because you cannot insert a IAT sensor underneath the blower. This spells disaster for your stock shortblock. Everyone that I have seen make any big numbers is running the intercooled setup.

Another limitation is the factory MAF/intake setup. The KB does not come with ANYTHING on the intake side. You are not going to be "maxing out" the stock shortblock with the stock intake/MAF/inlet and throttle body (does KB still use a t/b setup? I dunno). Twin screw (positive displacement) blowers are extremely sensitive to inlet restriction. Its not just getting a retune on the MAF (mafia style) its the small setup of the stock MAF. The stock maf is what, 60 or 65mm? I am runnning a 90mm maf on my 415~ WHP setup.

So put it this way, if you want to simply slap on a blower and run about 350~ WHP, then by all means spend 3800 bucks on the KB setup. If you want to run anything more than that, it is going to cost significantly more.

What your looking at to "max out" the factory shortblock safely is a KB intercooled setup, a new fuel pump, a new MAF, plugs, filter, fuel filter, injectors, and a tune thru some sort of handheld/chip. Add it all up, it is expensive.

The 3800 is just getting you started. Its real easy to budget for about 4k and come out with a empty checking account and no blower on your car.

The vortech stuff still applys as well. You can get a honest to god complete setup for about 3800 bucks on a vortech kit, allowing you to max out (or nearly so) a stock factory shortblock with the right supporting mods.

Edit: all of this does not even go into the fact that without a full exhaust and intake boltons neither setup will max your shortblock out. At 10 PSI with a great tune I am making 415~ WHP on a dynojet. I do have a small amount of timing pulled and the car set rich for saftey, so there is definatly another 15-20 WHP left in the setup, but my theory is better safe than sorry.

it was not all that long ago that I did the research on this, and I am most definatly on a budget. The vortech kit, and 3905 to the door, was within 200 bucks of the cheapest setup I could find (new, name brand blower, no powerdyne), and it came with the ever so great MPH tune. It sucks, but your gonna drop an easy 4k to put a centrifugal in yourself, and 5000+ on a decent twin screw setup.
Old 09-08-2006, 07:35 AM
dvs_03gt
4th Gear Member

honestly being at 400rwhp not to the motor would be achievebale through a kb and my current mods? what about a vortech?

what are the NOTICABLE DRIVING DIFFERENCES I would feel in the two s/c's? I need to decide! Practically in the time ive been researching them I saved enough for a KB. but the thing is, save the money for a new ride? is it really worth putting into the gt? will i enjoy it that much on a 50k mi motor? or should i spend some on a vortech w/ intercooler (which one's recommended?) and save the rest because obviously it wont be running as much as a vortech.
Old 09-08-2006, 01:02 PM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: dvs_03gt

honestly being at 400rwhp not to the motor would be achievebale through a kb and my current mods? what about a vortech?

what are the NOTICABLE DRIVING DIFFERENCES I would feel in the two s/c's? I need to decide! Practically in the time ive been researching them I saved enough for a KB. but the thing is, save the money for a new ride? is it really worth putting into the gt? will i enjoy it that much on a 50k mi motor? or should i spend some on a vortech w/ intercooler (which one's recommended?) and save the rest because obviously it wont be running as much as a vortech.
It depends on what boost level you run, and what your current mods are.

with full boltons, even with no intercooler, it should be fairly easy to make 400 WHP with either supercharger. With the mod list in my sig I am making 415~ WHP on a dynojet, and I have some timing dialed back and the car is slightly rich (kept the tune safe). The cams are helping out some, but you should still make 400 WHP with 10 PSI and a good tune.

I HIGHLY recommend MPH if you go with the vortech kit (or want a KB kit installed, and have piles of money laying around). MPH is simply one of the best (IMO the best) tuners for forced induction 2v 4.6Ls in the country. They have never lost a motor that I have heard of, and they always seem to make the most power out of anyone's setup. Hell, there are storys all over their forums about people bringing "tuned" cars in and gaining 10 or 20 WHP just with a MPH tune.

The website is www.modularpowerhouse.com. The kit is remarkably well put together and complete, and the customer service rocks.
Old 09-08-2006, 02:39 PM
dvs_03gt
4th Gear Member

have you made any new videos of your vortech?
Old 09-08-2006, 02:46 PM
dvs_03gt
4th Gear Member

i just dont know if i want to go with a vortech.. will i enjoy the power it puts out? will it be noticable? the whole reason im purchasing a s/c is because i want to have some serious power in the 2v.

whats the difference in vortechs and prochargers? just the name? and a few minor mechanical differences?
Old 09-08-2006, 03:16 PM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: dvs_03gt

i just dont know if i want to go with a vortech.. will i enjoy the power it puts out? will it be noticable? the whole reason im purchasing a s/c is because i want to have some serious power in the 2v.

whats the difference in vortechs and prochargers? just the name? and a few minor mechanical differences?
This is the sorta thing I am talking about when I say the 2v 4.6L section has a KB bias. The KB freaks in here acutally have members thinking you are not gonna have fun or notice a vortech supercharger after the install.

Its not even the same car man. Not even close. Even with the 2~ PSI I am making at 2800~ RPM it makes more power there now then it did at ANY point before. AKA, I am already over 280 WHP at 2800 RPM with the vortech. Its simply a monster on the street (at least compared to before).

On the way home from the dyno shop my bud was following us in his GT, with flows and a K&N. I left it in 4th gear at 70 MPH, and with him in 3rd did the ole 3 honk roll. Simply left him like he was standing still.

Here are a couple videos:

Playing on the street:

http://videos.streetfire.net/video/C...1A9FB4A9A8.htm

Perfect example here, before and after race with my buddies LS1 :

http://videos.streetfire.net/video/D...EDFA8BF75E.htm

Notice the after race was from a 70~ MPH roll. He would have had a good chance at beating me from this MPH before. The only difference in these 2 races is the blower.

On the dyno:

http://videos.streetfire.net/video/7...D3D2A7A28C.htm

Mustang dyno video here. Guy said to expect 415 to 425 on a dynojet with these numbers, so I tell everyone the low number (415) just to keep it honest.

Notice the street racing vid after this, thats the guy with the basically stock GT. Was the first time I went WOT after the blower. Notice how we slide all the way thru the first gear and part of 2nd (started on a dammed hill), and then when the traction hits, buh bye!