4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

need help desperate / handling driving ME nutz

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2006, 07:45 PM
03blkstang
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: need help desperate / handling driving ME nutz

my inner and outer tie rods have been replaced cuz they were really messed up , i just checked my sway bars they look good and unbroken
Old 09-11-2006, 07:00 AM
03blkstang
2nd Gear Member

to make it clearer my car sord of feels like those old long cadillacs that feel like boats on calm water, ne ideas ne one?
Old 09-11-2006, 08:07 AM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 70 MACH I

H'mmm if you hit hard enough you could have damaged your inner tie rod end, which is under the boot in the rack, that socket joint is nylon lined and is very durable...........except under a heavy hit. That would definitely cause wandering. The good news is it's easy to replace on a Mustang, not so on a Mercury Sable, don't ask me how I know!

John
+1
Old 09-11-2006, 12:57 PM
03blkstang
2nd Gear Member

yeah but my tie rods have been replaced :-(
Old 09-11-2006, 02:15 PM
Sap
4th Gear Member

This sounds like how it would feel if you had blown shock(s). Is there any oil leaking from your front shocks?

If you have replaced your tie rods, your steering is not the problem. You must then look at the suspension, the springs should be fine, the shocks might be blown and finally verify your bushins are still intact and none have deteriorated and fallen off (unlikely, but wouldn't be the first time).

Good Luck.

E.
Old 09-11-2006, 02:53 PM
03blkstang
2nd Gear Member

sry if i sound dumb, but were exatcly can i find the bushings,
according the all 3 shops every thing is perfect, but just so i can take alook my self

ORIGINAL: Sap

This sounds like how it would feel if you had blown shock(s). Is there any oil leaking from your front shocks?

If you have replaced your tie rods, your steering is not the problem. You must then look at the suspension, the springs should be fine, the shocks might be blown and finally verify your bushins are still intact and none have deteriorated and fallen off (unlikely, but wouldn't be the first time).

Good Luck.

E.
Old 09-11-2006, 04:07 PM
GodAmGT00
5th Gear Member

What did your tire wear look like?? Was it the outer/inner edges??

Usually, bad tie-rods cause wandering, uneven tire wear.. Blown shocks can give you that bouncy feeling, since there's nothing to dampen the rebound of the coil springs... Blown shocks don't always leak fluid either..

Put the car on an even piece of pavement.. Go over each corner of the car, and push straight down on it... If it squats, and then sits normal after you push down, then your shocks/struts are more than likely fine. If the car continues to bounce around a little, then chances are, it could be your shocks/struts..

JT
Old 09-11-2006, 04:20 PM
Brute03
5th Gear Member

well if you've already replaced the tie rods, i'd say check the rack bushings. i took my car to get aligned over the weekend, so i had the guy check out what was making that creeking noise. turns out the entire rack was shifting slightly from side to side with every change in direction of the steering wheel, which was most likely why the car wanders in either direction sometime. so after i get a second opinion, i'll most likely be replacing my rack bushings
Old 09-11-2006, 04:29 PM
03blkstang
2nd Gear Member

ok ill have that checked, in the mean time, could it be that my steering wheel feels extra sensetive for some reason ?? almost loose ? i mean the tires move exactly the the steering whel no problem but even wen its at a dead stop its too smooth to sensitive? is this normal? i dont even know any more
Old 09-11-2006, 06:18 PM
ben790450
I ♥ Acer

Body roll! I havent felt that since i had a truck! Psht should have gotten a vert!

Vert + 2 1/4" drop + competition springs + tubular upper & lower control arms + weld in subframes + strut tower bar + 275/40's = low center of gravity and abosolutley no body roll . . . .. . . and a roush killer haha!!!

I know that didnt really helps things at all but i just thought it was funny becuase i have never associated body roll and mustangs. But ive always had only my mustang. My buddies fox body sucks at handling. Body roll, hoping, shaking. Its scarey.

Quick Reply: need help desperate / handling driving ME nutz