4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

4.6L stroker questions???

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2006, 09:02 PM
code3GT
Mustang Nazi

Default RE: 4.6L stroker questions???

ORIGINAL: coptzr_steeda

hey code what are you running in your that silver car? your underhood pics look preety nice, i have never seen an intake like that before. do you think the DSS engine is worth it?
I had a DSS engine in the Mrs S/C 2000 GT and it was a decent motor....but I have progressed...LOL. The silver bucket has a custom built forged longblock from VT Engines. The intake is a Fox Lake Racing P51.
Old 09-10-2006, 09:15 PM
coptzr_steeda
1st Gear Member

ok thats where i have seen them before, i remember the ads for those intakes in the magazines. somebody hit my 97, it is in the middle of getting the front end straightened right now, so the DSS engine will be coming this winter. it is an origanal steeda car so i figured i better fix it.
Old 09-10-2006, 09:30 PM
97 5.0L
3rd Gear Member

97 5.0L what are you getting for power with that combo, i just got a price quote from DSS racing on the 5.o modular motor for 9800.00, it has 9:1 comp. the cnc ported PI heads, stage 2 crower blower camshafts, is this a good deal? they told me i should be deep into the 11s with a 200 shot of juice. it is going into a 97 gt also, the reason for the low comp, is there will be a supercharger going on in about a year.
I also had the compression dropped to a 9:1 for boost later. I am currently waiting to get a tuner so I can run the 150 shot so I dont have any dyno numbers or any 1/4 mile times.....sorry. I will post them as soon as I get them.
Old 09-10-2006, 09:35 PM
97 5.0L
3rd Gear Member

sorry I forgot to answer your second question. I paid 10K for mine. Which included the stroker kit, porting and polishing the heads and the comp cams. It was only about 8K for all that but after we did all that I was having oil pressure problems so we added alot of cobra parts (oil pump etc...) and the labor to replace the cams that got torn up do to the lack of oil pressure. That accounted for the other 2K. So I would say that $9800.00 seems a little high but not that bad as long as that includes labor and everything.
Old 09-10-2006, 10:11 PM
97targa
5th Gear Member

Look I'm going to do the asssembly and all the porting and polishing myself!!! I'm a mechanic that sh.t is easy just a little time consuming!!! I already got a price for the stroker kit. It's $1700 with manley h-beams and CP pistons.and forged crank from my buddies store. That's a good deal so I'm gonna go with that! The heads are cheap on ebay, since I'm gonna go through them anyways and cams are $550. Then the P-51 intake my buddy can't get so I'll have to throw up $1300 for that. I already have fuel lines and injectors-30lbs, 90mm MAF, That puts me around $4k plus my own install. I have everything else I need to finsh the job! The compression will be right around 12-12.5:1 so I will get the 400hp! I just didn't know if the stroker was better for the application or not. I don't wanna hear you guys paid $10k for a stroker 4.6L because that's the dummest thing ever. Why wouldn't you just put a cobra motor in your car for less than that?????? Especially if you were paying some one else to deal with all the headaches and hassles????
Old 09-10-2006, 10:17 PM
code3GT
Mustang Nazi

ORIGINAL: 97targa

Look I'm going to do the asssembly and all the porting and polishing myself!!! I'm a mechanic that sh.t is easy just a little time consuming!!! I already got a price for the stroker kit. It's $1700 with manley h-beams and CP pistons.and forged crank from my buddies store. That's a good deal so I'm gonna go with that! The heads are cheap on ebay, since I'm gonna go through them anyways and cams are $550. Then the P-51 intake my buddy can't get so I'll have to throw up $1300 for that. I already have fuel lines and injectors-30lbs, 90mm MAF, That puts me around $4k plus my own install. I have everything else I need to finsh the job! The compression will be right around 12-12.5:1 so I will get the 400hp! I just didn't know if the stroker was better for the application or not. I don't wanna hear you guys paid $10k for a stroker 4.6L because that's the dummest thing ever. Why wouldn't you just put a cobra motor in your car for less than that?????? Especially if you were paying some one else to deal with all the headaches and hassles????
Are you saying 400 HP at the crank or at the wheels? As far as P&P on the heads, the mod heads are quite different then push rod heads so be careful. Finally, if you are a mechanic with all the parts hook ups, why are ya here asking people for opinions and feedback. Strokers are very over rated especially on N/A applications. If you are saying you will have 400rwhp from any type of parts combo, you are gonna be very disappointed.
Old 09-10-2006, 10:22 PM
randy78045
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: code3GT

Are you saying 400 HP at the crank or at the wheels? As far as P&P on the heads, the mod heads are quite different then push rod heads so be careful. Finally, if you are a mechanic with all the parts hook ups, why are ya here asking people for opinions and feedback. Strokers are very over rated especially on N/A applications. If you are saying you will have 400rwhp from any type of parts combo, you are gonna be very disappointed.
::cough cough:: look below... ::cough cough::
Old 09-10-2006, 10:28 PM
coptzr_steeda
1st Gear Member

targa 97 stroker is always the best way to go, i have never done a ford before, but i had a 500 cubic inch mopar done up last year, from always being a mopar fan stroking is always the best way to go. you will get alot more torque from a stroker engine. so yes it is worth it. thats good that you can do it all yourself, but i am on the road most of the year so that is why i would rather pay a shop to build my stuff for me, i don't have the time. i would rather drive my toy when i am at home.
Old 09-10-2006, 10:35 PM
code3GT
Mustang Nazi

ORIGINAL: randy78045

ORIGINAL: code3GT

::cough cough:: look below... ::cough cough::
Lemme clarify.....mod motor wise.
Old 09-10-2006, 10:37 PM
code3GT
Mustang Nazi

targa 97 stroker is always the best way to go, i have never done a ford before, but i had a 500 cubic inch mopar done up last year, from always being a mopar fan stroking is always the best way to go. you will get alot more torque from a stroker engine. so yes it is worth it. thats good that you can do it all yourself, but i am on the road most of the year so that is why i would rather pay a shop to build my stuff for me, i don't have the time. i would rather drive my toy when i am at home.
ATTN: PEOPLE WHO ARE ANSWERING THIS THREAD BASED ON PUSHROD MOTORS........THE MOD MOTOR STROKER KITS ARE OVERRATED.

Quick Reply: 4.6L stroker questions???