4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

MGW Install Questions...

Old 09-13-2006, 06:10 PM
03sonicgt
5th Gear Member

Default MGW Install Questions...

Well my mgw came today, and I just wanted to make sure that we don't need to install any stoppers on the 3650 tranny correct?? Also how hard is the install?? I'd like to drive my car tomorrow, so I just want to make sure I can get it done tonight quickly.
Old 09-13-2006, 07:16 PM
03sonicgt
5th Gear Member

Default RE: MGW Install Questions...

Anyone??
Old 09-13-2006, 07:23 PM
Dan04COBRA
Super Moderator

Install the stoppers.

This is what you do, get the shifter bolted in. Then shift the car into first gear, move the stopper in, so it's just about 1/8 inch from the shaft. Do the same with the other stopper.

Regardless of what anyone says about the factory transmission stops, they are garbage and a toddler could shift it hard enough to break them and destroy your transmission.

USE THEM!!!!!!
Old 09-13-2006, 07:36 PM
spederman
2nd Gear Member

I emailed TREMEC when i got mine and asked them the same thing. Here is their reply:

Dave,

Thank you for your interest in the TREMEC brand product. Below is picture from one of my transmissions. We do not recommend after market shifters, however, we know people will purchase them. We recommend taking the positive stops out. The can be misadjusted, vibrate loose, etc. Your shift fork rides on the synchronizer collar. The blocker ring indexes the gears clutching teeth with the synchronizers clutching teeth.
When you shift the whole collar comes to rest against the face of the gear, so you can not over shift without going through the gear itself. Damaged shift forks are deflection, (or bending of the shift forks), caused by trying to force a shift before the blocker ring indexes the clutching teeth of the gear with the synchronizer ring. If you get deflection, the only part you need to change is the shift fork assembly, not the whole transmission. If you have any more questions, please feel free to contact me.

Jeff

So i didnt install them on my tranny. Its not a hard install at all. Took me about an hour the first time. SInce then i have taken it off again to make sure it was tightened correctly since i was getting some noise, and it took me 30 minutes.

Old 09-13-2006, 07:41 PM
Dan04COBRA
Super Moderator

MGW said that because Tremec could find a way to blame them for transmission failures, also a vast majority of dealers will void warranty's if the STOPS are installed.

MGW would lose quite a bit of business if they recommended install the stops (because a moron can easily mis-adjust them) and the dealership says hell no, no warranty for you.

There is no point to buy an aftermarket shifter then, other than just to shorten the distance of the shifter. You can still overshift, damage your forks and in turn destroy your synchro's.

I'd install the stops.
Old 09-13-2006, 07:45 PM
spederman
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Dan04COBRA

MGW said that because Tremec could find a way to blame them for transmission failures, also a vast majority of dealers will void warranty's if the STOPS are installed.

MGW would lose quite a bit of business if they recommended install the stops (because a moron can easily mis-adjust them) and the dealership says hell no, no warranty for you.

There is no point to buy an aftermarket shifter then, other than just to shorten the distance of the shifter. You can still overshift, damage your forks and in turn destroy your synchro's.

I'd install the stops.

That was actually Tremec that i emailed. And they are the ones that said that. But yeah, if you know what you are doing with the stops, might as well install them, doesnt hurt to have a backup
Old 09-13-2006, 07:49 PM
Dan04COBRA
Super Moderator

I overlooked the tremec part. Sorry about that.

I had called MGW about this and they just gave me the speech about how you shouldn't install them. I asked if it was for liability issues and the lady just kind of went silent.

Anyone in business will understand what both companies are trying to do.. I overshifted my 02 GT and it would make the nastiest noises at me until I installed the stops & I never had the problem again.
Old 09-13-2006, 08:45 PM
03sonicgt
5th Gear Member

Well I just hit a little problem, I can't get it into any gear?? Did I have a small hicup I may have missed??
Old 09-13-2006, 09:08 PM
Dan04COBRA
Super Moderator

Did you have the tranny in neutral when you removed the stock shifter and installed the new one?
Old 09-13-2006, 09:14 PM
wwmost
5th Gear Member

take off the stops and see if thats the problem. if thats the problem then you have the stops screwed in too much. and make sure you put on the little plastic cup thing thats goes on the bottom of the shifter.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: MGW Install Questions...