4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Need Help

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2006, 02:49 PM
DaOutLawEdgeJames

Default Need Help

Sorry for being one of those posters that register to only ask a question but I need some help. I own a 2000 Mustang GT supercharged and have had it for a year. No problems up until a few months ago when I noticed my 'yellow fan with the water level' light on (not sure quite what it means) but my mechanic friend told me it was my fan light. We couldnt figure out why it turned on because the fan seems to be working. The wierd thing is it doesnt stay on all the time. Recently but not everytime my car stalls, sometimes when its at a complete stop and other times when I'm actually driving. When I try and start it again it just cranks and doesnt turn over. I wait a minute or two and start it again and it cranks over with a gas smell after effect. It runs fine, no idle problem. The only thing I can think of is that my girl drove it and put 87 or 89 gasoline when I have always put supreme. I havent driven it alot lately because I drive my girls 4 banger to save gas. Thoughts?
Old 09-15-2006, 03:38 PM
II 98 GT II
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Need Help

I get that light when my coolant is low. I'm not sure about you're problem with the car stalling though... Are you sure the radiator light is related to the problem that you are having with your car stalling?
Old 09-15-2006, 03:50 PM
lizzyfan
Underboss

The light will come on at times when you run it through a car wash.
Old 09-15-2006, 05:55 PM
DaOutLawEdgeJames

Coolant seems fine I think, I usually check it when the engine is cold. I'm not sure if the light it related with my car stalling, it's just wierd. I love to drive my car, almost 400 HP and it growls, but it embarrasing to stall in the middle of traffic and I;m broke so I can't just spend $$$ to find out whats wrong with it. Nobody has had this problem before? One thing when it stalled the MPH needle went to the far right and stayed there until I re-started it...dont know if that has any meaning.
Old 09-15-2006, 06:32 PM
II 98 GT II
4th Gear Member

The MPH needle maxed out when it stalled?? Thats really strange. I'm gonna have to leave this one up for someone else. Sorry man.

Til then you should list more details about your car... miles, all mods that it has on it, that sorta thing. It might help with diagnostics.
Old 09-15-2006, 10:15 PM
DaOutLawEdgeJames

So is my mustang possessed or what? No one has had or heard about this problem?
Old 09-15-2006, 11:52 PM
GodAmGT00
5th Gear Member

You may have a bad Coolant Temp Switch.. Maybe not bad, but flakey...

Do you ever get a Check Engine Light other than your "Low Coolant," light??

When the car stalls, is that light on?? If so, I wonder if your thermostat is working correctly?? You may have compound issues..

JT
Old 09-16-2006, 01:57 AM
DaOutLawEdgeJames

Thanks JT for the response. No my check engine light never lights up except for startup and my engine sometimes stalls when the coolant light is on, at other times its not on (same with the AC on or off). It's like I turn on the car, it starts fine, after a few seconds the coolant light comes on and stays on but if I were to turn it off and turn the engine on again, the light wont stay on. car seems to run fine, idle is perfect and smooth. Acceleration is kindof slow but when it reaches 3000 RPM it takes off due to my SC. I've heard that switching grades of gasoline can stall the engine, like I said I usually put supreme gas and it ran fine even after the coolant light came on a few months back but my girl put either regular or plus gas and thats when I noticed it. It;s almost empty so maybe I can put in some supreme and see how it goes.
Old 09-16-2006, 02:35 AM
sickness
1st Gear Member

I am just going to throw this out there.....but check your ground carfully...it will make it do wierd **** like that...sometimes they deteriorate inside the plastic shield..lights stahling no start then start..left looking like an idot in the parking lot starter sounds like it is taking it's last breath...any ways
Old 09-17-2006, 01:26 PM
username

if changing the grade or octane of gasoline is a big concern to you you could add some octane booster to your tank. that could account for the stalling because it is a non aspirated motor. the needle moving to the far right is an important factor here, did it spike before or after stahling? If it happened before stahling out then the kill switch was activated: if the car reaches 120+ the engine is programmed to shut down and wait several minutes before restarting. if your speed sending unit is cracked and got wet then the water could have entered into the switch. the water would have increaced the frequency of power moving through the switch and given you a false reading, in this case max speed. i would check switches and connections.