4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

4.6 marauder engine

Old 09-16-2006, 06:39 PM
99roushgt
3rd Gear Member

Default 4.6 marauder engine

So whats up with these engines??? I see they are rated at 302hp the marauders are pretty mean once you supercharge them. Does anyone know the specifics on this engine?? Like how good the internals are max hp rating. Whats crappy on it?? Like the 4.6 mark vIII has crappy cams and intake manifold.
Old 09-16-2006, 07:04 PM
99roushgt
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: 4.6 marauder engine

comeon guys i asked this question a month ago and not one reply someone must be out there who can help me
Old 09-16-2006, 08:58 PM
Colorado_Mustang
5th Gear Member

Not a crappy engine. Heavy car. Like anything from a factory, the intake and exhaust can be made more efficient. I would venture a guess this is pretty much the same engine used in the non-sc Cobra's.
Old 09-16-2006, 09:09 PM
RedAlertlb
3rd Gear Member

that it is there are a couple of cars that come with that motor....aviator, marauder, continental(97 i think), and mark VIII
Old 09-16-2006, 09:30 PM
99roushgt
3rd Gear Member

how come the marauder is rated at 302 hp and the mark VIII is only 280hp???? the engine i am sking about is out of a 2003 marauder if the year makes a difference im wonder if you change the cams and intake manifold to a cobra or aftermarket if it will make the 320 like the 99-01 cobras...and are the internals forged on the 03 or are they all crappy and cast???
Old 09-17-2006, 12:04 AM
droptoppony
5th Gear Member

Marauder engine is not the same as the Mark VIII...it has the C heads not B, it is more like the Mach 1 except it doesn't have the shaker intake or forged crank. Kinda like a auto Mach1. I have seen quite a few guys use the Marauder/Aviator as a stating point because of the C heads/Aluminum block and ease of swapping a 01 Cobra intake on.

Why do you ask complex questions on a forum full of young kids and get pissed when they can't answer them. Go to modulardepot.com if you need info not pertaining to a GT with simple bolt ons etc. Most of these guys are new to the 4.6 so they are just learning.
Old 09-17-2006, 01:07 AM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: droptoppony

Marauder engine is not the same as the Mark VIII...it has the C heads not B, it is more like the Mach 1 except it doesn't have the shaker intake or forged crank. Kinda like a auto Mach1. I have seen quite a few guys use the Marauder/Aviator as a stating point because of the C heads/Aluminum block and ease of swapping a 01 Cobra intake on.

Why do you ask complex questions on a forum full of young kids and get pissed when they can't answer them. Go to modulardepot.com if you need info not pertaining to a GT with simple bolt ons etc. Most of these guys are new to the 4.6 so they are just learning.
There are some definate noobs on here, and there are people that are simply good at giving out bad information, but there are knowlegeable people here too.

If you are thinking about FI, but you don't have the money laying around for a engine swap AND a forged assembly, there is no reason to swap in this engine (or any non forged, aka non 03/04 cobra, DOHC engine).

One way or another, around 450 or so RWHP you run up against the wall of a weak shortblock on a stock 4.6L (except the forged units) no matter what the top end configuration.

Everyone is so hot after the DOHC swap all of a sudden, but unless you want to make massive numbers FI or just have piles of money laying around its not a good choice. Its definatly not going to be the money saver that people seem to think it is.
Old 09-17-2006, 01:49 AM
99roushgt
3rd Gear Member

i am already forced inducted check my sig and already have every part needed to forge a 4.6 bottom end i blew my engine and am looking for a replacement and dont want to go with the 2v and was leaning more towards the marauder 4.6 because it is alot cheaper than the 01 cobra engine and i figure with that platform to start with fully forgeing it with low compression pistons getting some custom ground cams putting my blower on it with about 15-17psi with methanol injection i wold be able to hit 550+whp easier than with my 2v and if for some reason later on i ever wanted more power i am not limited due to my 2v heads i dunno maybe do need to go post on anoher forum this has some good info and is alot more active than any other forum i have checked out if anyone knows of any more forums where i wont have to wait 3 or 4 days before someone replys to my questions by all means point me in that direction
Old 09-17-2006, 02:04 PM
droptoppony
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 99roushgt

i am already forced inducted check my sig and already have every part needed to forge a 4.6 bottom end i blew my engine and am looking for a replacement and dont want to go with the 2v and was leaning more towards the marauder 4.6 because it is alot cheaper than the 01 cobra engine and i figure with that platform to start with fully forgeing it with low compression pistons getting some custom ground cams putting my blower on it with about 15-17psi with methanol injection i wold be able to hit 550+whp easier than with my 2v and if for some reason later on i ever wanted more power i am not limited due to my 2v heads i dunno maybe do need to go post on anoher forum this has some good info and is alot more active than any other forum i have checked out if anyone knows of any more forums where i wont have to wait 3 or 4 days before someone replys to my questions by all means point me in that direction
I'm still curious why you think the 2V heads will limit you? With P&P work they can make 800rwhp or more if you have the boost and engine to handle it....You seem to be leading member of the anti 2V club and most of you are just wrong in thinking you need a 4V or 5.4 to make serious power. N/A yes the 2v is limited but boosted the sky is the limit. Steen Racing has a 2V turbo engine that is over 1000rwhp and soon to be 1200rwhp. Its a race setup but still has 2V heads so they must not be limiting it too much?
Old 09-17-2006, 02:40 PM
99roushgt
3rd Gear Member

well this is what im thinking tell me if am wrong i appreciate the constructive criticism but if you spend 1300 on a nice intake manifold and then 1000 or so on a pnp job and valve job not even including larger valves your lookng another 350 including machine work ok so thats 2650 give or take a hundred or so if im not wrong.... i have found several 4v's for less than that especially the marauder engine it is basically a cobra engine it even has the 03 c heads that or the aviator seems to be the best and you can get those all day everyday full engine for 2650 all you have to change to run those engines is lenghten some wires on the harness or if your not cheap buy a new harness and then headers so i dunno i definately value the advice of others or would not ask for it and after searching and alot of reading i am not totally against the 2v's but would prefer a 4v i am only looking for 550-600rwhp

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 4.6 marauder engine