4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Standard > Auto?!

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2006, 02:28 AM
droptoppony
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Standard > Auto?!

ORIGINAL: CobraStangGT16

I beg to differ...

I'm 16 years old and the first car I drove was auto. I thought it was boring (having 3 cars with MT and 1 with AT). I drove around the BMW until I got my mustang GT with MT, and I learned to drive it in 3 hours. My dad, 35 years driving, owns a shelby cobra and said this car is a tough car to handle. His DD is a MINI cooper S 6-speed manual, and I can't drive it. Too small of a clutch.

Where I'm getting at is that if you younger guys want to learn MT, do it now!!! Because the older you get, the more used to auto you will be and manual will be much harder to learn.

So in a sense, I'm lucky because me moms BMW is 4-matic, and I use that in her car.

4 cars - all manual tranny. No other way to go .
I have socks older then you
Come back in 10 years after sitting in traffic everyday and see how much you love your manual...right now you are just happy to drive anything. That will wear off. Its usually the young guys who say auto is not for sportscars yadda yadda...its us old guys who know better.
Old 09-19-2006, 02:38 AM
BleedinBlue
5th Gear Member

Personally, I want one of each!!

Old 09-19-2006, 03:07 AM
SVTBill
5th Gear Member

hey Haus408 what color excatly is that sweet arss stang? That color looks good with mach one wheels, if i can find that color with the specs i want ill get that b4 i get a black one . Looks good man!
Old 09-19-2006, 03:10 AM
CobraStangGT16
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: droptoppony

ORIGINAL: CobraStangGT16

I beg to differ...

I'm 16 years old and the first car I drove was auto. I thought it was boring (having 3 cars with MT and 1 with AT). I drove around the BMW until I got my mustang GT with MT, and I learned to drive it in 3 hours. My dad, 35 years driving, owns a shelby cobra and said this car is a tough car to handle. His DD is a MINI cooper S 6-speed manual, and I can't drive it. Too small of a clutch.

Where I'm getting at is that if you younger guys want to learn MT, do it now!!! Because the older you get, the more used to auto you will be and manual will be much harder to learn.

So in a sense, I'm lucky because me moms BMW is 4-matic, and I use that in her car.

4 cars - all manual tranny. No other way to go .
I have socks older then you
Come back in 10 years after sitting in traffic everyday and see how much you love your manual...right now you are just happy to drive anything. That will wear off. Its usually the young guys who say auto is not for sportscars yadda yadda...its us old guys who know better.
I'm not suggesting this car is a DD. I would hate to work 50 miles away and be stuck in LA traffic everday in a manual. I'm just saying that you should learn it before you lose the will and interest to learn it.
Old 09-19-2006, 03:33 AM
SVTBill
5th Gear Member

Thats one good sentence to sum it up in CobraStangGT16, learn it before you lose the intrest. I'm eager to learn how to drive a stick, ive driven a couple but not very well. My dad said he'll teach me on his porsche...but hes kinda reluctant becuase its really bad for those trans to have frequent starts. Automatic FTW even though youre limited on not having your own clutch i think that the less experienced driver will have more fun in the end with the auto even if theyre not pushing 400+ hp.
Old 09-19-2006, 03:20 PM
droptoppony
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: SVTBill

Thats one good sentence to sum it up in CobraStangGT16, learn it before you lose the intrest. I'm eager to learn how to drive a stick, ive driven a couple but not very well. My dad said he'll teach me on his porsche...but hes kinda reluctant becuase its really bad for those trans to have frequent starts. Automatic FTW even though youre limited on not having your own clutch i think that the less experienced driver will have more fun in the end with the auto even if theyre not pushing 400+ hp.
If you want to just learn to drive a manual go find a rental place that has economy cars with manuals. Rent one for a weekend and you'll be good. Thats much cheaper then tearing up the clutch in your dads porsche...best place to learn is at the bottom of a hill. Find a hill on a street with little to no traffic...once you can master a hill ie: starting/stopping..not rolling back etc then regular traffic driving will be nothing.
Old 09-19-2006, 04:49 PM
VARifleman
3rd Gear Member

For a street car, I'd have to say a semi-auto > all...
Old 09-19-2006, 05:03 PM
SVTBill
5th Gear Member

Thats a pretty good idea droptoppony, looks like ill have to go over to the ford dealership down the street and rent something..The only problem is I live in wayyy Southern Tx, ill have to drive like, 100 miles atleast b4 i even come close to a hill, LOL. Thanks for the advice.
Old 09-19-2006, 06:11 PM
StangChik
3rd Gear Member

my car is an automatic that is set up really well....and i school all the little boys on saturday night bracket races. My prefence however, is too have a stick for daily driving, cuz its more interesting. But when my family and i are bracket racing, its all about consistency so i definately have an auto for that.
Old 09-19-2006, 08:24 PM
Hotwad02GT

+1 for the manual. Forget about the track times (how many of us will actually experience the difference between a good auto setup and a 5 spd. anyway?), the fun factor is what it's about and MT wins that hands down. It's just something about being in complete control of your vehicle. Do you want to drive your car or do you just want to steer and increase throttle/apply brake?

Now, if you know that your gonna be in traffic jams a lot, well then that may be a reason to consider an auto.

Quick Reply: Standard > Auto?!