4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Standard > Auto?!

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2006, 11:14 PM
SVTBill
5th Gear Member

Default Standard > Auto?!

Everyone says it depends on the driver weather standard is faster than auto, well not everyone some people just say the its the same, some stick by autos and some say standard ftw nothing else.....but with the 4.6 mustang particular is it better to own a standard as a daily driver....also how long does it take to learn how to drive a standard WELL, as in knowing how to race it, power shift and shift in such ways that you can keep traction?
Old 09-18-2006, 11:17 PM
Matts00GT
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Standard > Auto?!

It depends on your application.

If you are drag racing constantly, an auto with a high stall converter will dominate a stick. If you are road racing, then a stick is def. better.

My personal preference is a manual tranny simply for the fun factor. There's nothing like rowing through the gears.
Old 09-18-2006, 11:18 PM
droptoppony
5th Gear Member

Built auto's will win at the 1/4 mile and 4r70w's are stronger then the 5 speed...
5 sp is much more fun around town and an auto will eat up about 20rwhp over a 5 sp so a Tq coverter and valve body upgrade will even that out quickly. Most people who bash auto's have never driven a well set up one.
Old 09-18-2006, 11:41 PM
SVTBill
5th Gear Member

That is probably true, droptoppony, but is that coming from someone who drives an auto or standard? (the whole people bashing an auto thats not set up well). Im looking into an auto with a shift kit. 3 downers: supposedly the high stall converter will make your car shift hard around town, not shift hard in a bad way, just shift hard cuz thats the way they work, is that even true? This kid i know is going to sell his ls1 and get a new edge he thinks, his ls1 is auto but he says with a new edge atuo vs standard makes a lot of diffrence and that the 5 speed is way better...So, auto with shift kit walks all over the 5 speed? Daily driving inferfears with racing!!! ahhhhh, noooo...!!!
Old 09-18-2006, 11:43 PM
Matts00GT
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: SVTBill

That is probably true, droptoppony, but is that coming from someone who drives an auto or standard? (the whole people bashing an auto thats not set up well). Im looking into an auto with a shift kit. 3 downers: supposedly the high stall converter will make your car shift hard around town, not shift hard in a bad way, just shift hard cuz thats the way they work, is that even true? This kid i know is going to sell his ls1 and get a new edge he thinks, his ls1 is auto but he says with a new edge atuo vs standard makes a lot of diffrence and that the 5 speed is way better...So, auto with shift kit walks all over the 5 speed? Daily driving inferfears with racing!!! ahhhhh, noooo...!!!

Just a shift kit? No. That's more of a heads up type race. I'd say if the driver of the stick is decent, he would win 6/7 times out of 10.
Old 09-18-2006, 11:44 PM
droptoppony
5th Gear Member

you can adjust the shift points/firmness with a SCT Xcal 2 handheld tuner. Most guys experiment until they find what works for them.

and yes i have an auto in my mustang...my previous 2 were 5 speeds.
Old 09-18-2006, 11:47 PM
SVTBill
5th Gear Member

so do the shift kits make for a ruff ridE?
Old 09-18-2006, 11:48 PM
fastsilverstang
3rd Gear Member

here we go again......[&o]
Old 09-18-2006, 11:49 PM
Matts00GT
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: SVTBill

so do the shift kits make for a ruff ridE?
Rough? Not necessarily. I actually think it's more smooth...
Old 09-18-2006, 11:51 PM
Brute03
5th Gear Member

I don't don't know about the rest of you guys, but i will not buy an auto just because it can be a few tenths faster at the track. call me silly, but i rather base my decision on what i want to drive on the street everyday, not the freakin' track. now time for a beer [8D]

Quick Reply: Standard > Auto?!