4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Selling my car...need some input

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2006, 11:32 AM
orangedrp007
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Selling my car...need some input

damn if those are selling for that much you might as well try to sell for at least 9000 or so.
Old 09-20-2006, 11:34 AM
StangChik
3rd Gear Member

i mean seriously, I know those prices are high, but that seems to be what there are selling for down here. humor yourself, and go
do a search on autotrader for 94-98, you'll be shocked!
Old 09-20-2006, 11:55 AM
PushinTheLimit
5th Gear Member

I've found that alot of cars on autotrader tend to be very high... very high. I don't see how in the world people sell their cars on there.
If you look on cars.com, there are some high 'wishful thinking' prices, but there are alot of good deals on there too. Thats where I would
start first if I was lookin for a car. Just doesn't make sense to me. But for your purposes, seems to be the way to go. Good luck.
Old 09-20-2006, 11:57 AM
StangChik
3rd Gear Member

i got mine out of autotrader, but i got it really cheap, because the guys wife was having a baby, and she thought it be cute to hide the fact that it was twins, until they were born....so the car had to go quickly
Old 09-20-2006, 12:18 PM
yellowjacket01
2nd Gear Member

Dont trust autofinder. Ive seen some pos wolkswagen beetles say around 1970's for anywhere between 10-20 thousand unrestored,and a bunch of datsun z cars for stupid prices like a 1981 280zx for 28 thousand.There not retail prices,people just go on there and put any price they want,apparently they dont even look the the blue book value.Beyond wishful thinking at that place.
Old 09-20-2006, 12:19 PM
StangChik
3rd Gear Member

uhh autotrader...and like i said they are really selling for that much
Old 09-20-2006, 12:39 PM
d3mon
3rd Gear Member

wow i just checked autotrader and indeed, they are around 8,000 to 9,000, thats crazy, specially since i found new edges here for around those prices, first let me tell you that most of people don't look for mods, maybe exterior mods like rims or a light bar in a vert, but not for engine mods, as a matter of fact mods lower the price of your car in the "normal" market, because like everyone here knows mods give performance but some can make the car unreliable, people that dont know about engines will be afraid of buying a modded car for example my frind had a blown 01 coupe, full bolt ons he spent around 15,000 or more in that car, whe he tried to sell it, he could not get more than 16,000. so pretty much you will have to be lucky or find someone who knows about engines to sell it for a good price. good luck
Old 09-20-2006, 12:41 PM
Dan04COBRA
Super Moderator

People might pay more from a dealer because of aftermarket warranty's and stuff. I wouldn't use what the dealer is getting as a good reference to set a price.

Unless there is a serious demand for a GT that's been massively produced and there's a flood of them on the market, everywhere...you won't get a penny more than book value & with the current market, you might not even get private value for it..

I'd start $1k over private value and hope a dumb kid without his daddies help will come along and buy it because he just has to have it. Use it as a starting price to give yourself some room to negotiate.
Old 09-20-2006, 12:43 PM
StangChik
3rd Gear Member

ya that's what i'm think, i've been really lucky with selling my cars around, and hopefully a teenager will buy it just because it looks so good. I'll try it at $8500 OBO, and see what it does, i'm not in a huge hurry, but i'd like to get a good amount out of it
Old 09-20-2006, 12:44 PM
Dan04COBRA
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: StangChik

ya that's what i'm think, i've been really lucky with selling my cars around, and hopefully a teenager will buy it just because it looks so good. I'll try it at $8500 OBO, and see what it does, i'm not in a huge hurry, but i'd like to get a good amount out of it
If you are willing to sit on it, you'll eventually get close to what you are asking for. Could take 6 months though for that one goof ball to come along!

Quick Reply: Selling my car...need some input