4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Smog Check Today...DAY THREE 300 MILES LATER! read top post

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2006, 11:42 PM
SVTBill
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Smog Check Today...

What is myght be is your o2 sensors..When they put your exhaust on if they had to do anything to the pipe between your mainafold and your cats (mid-pipe, i think?) then chances are they Fed with the sensors.. Take it to autozone and theyll read your codes for free and tell you if its your o2 sensors or not...
Old 09-21-2006, 12:54 AM
CobraStangGT16
5th Gear Member

Well he claims to have put on the present exhaist system before his last smog check (in May). I't passed smog then, but not now. So had to have been something between then and now. The o2 sensors checked out too.

Another thought...I learned to drive a manual with this car (I'm 16). Could it be just from stalling a few times or style of driving? I'm pretty good with it now, no stalling at all just a little shaky in 1st. But the first time behind the wheel, I wasn't so great. It took me about a day or two to master the clutch and after that, I've been fine. Just a thought?
Old 09-21-2006, 01:33 AM
99mustang0
4th Gear Member

Ya, like everyone else already said i wouldnt get too worked up about it until you know exactly what it is. It wouldnt have anything to do with stalling it or anything like that. Hindsights 20/20 but why would you buy a car with the check engine light on and not even ask any questions about it? Just curious.
Old 09-21-2006, 02:03 AM
Dan04COBRA
Super Moderator

That's a nice looking car BTW. I'd go ahead and try to get a Cobra front bumper & hood.

I actually like your style side scoops better than the scoops I have on my Cobra..hmm
Old 09-21-2006, 02:30 AM
CobraStangGT16
5th Gear Member

You know what, I really wasn't paying attention to the lamps at time of purchase. I was a bit preoccupied (this was my first car) by other things and I guessed it just skipped my mind.

Dan,

Thanks. Yeah I would get a new fascia but I don't have the money right now especially since Idk whats up with my CEL. But it has ground effects and a cobra spoiler. The car really stands out with the SVT chromes, mach 1 grill delete, spoiler, blackout headlight plastic trim, and it's lowered.

Plus, I have to sell the car, as I posted in another thread. I wish I could keep it now that gas prices are down too.
Old 09-21-2006, 02:34 AM
GT_Bob
3rd Gear Member

I think the car is completely your responsibility now. Don't stress out too much though. Try to get the CEL to trip again. Then check the code with a reader or have a trusted shop do it for you. Just make sure you ask the mechanic what code he came up with. Then check the code with the numerous on-line code lists so you'll have some knowledge before having any repairs done. 8 out of 10 times a CEL is a relatively cheap fix.
Old 09-21-2006, 03:04 AM
CobraStangGT16
5th Gear Member

Jeeze I hope not...I don't even have a job yet. All I have is all I've saved up so far minus the cost of the car. Have a couple gees left over. I really would like it to be a gascap or o2 sensor or something.
Old 09-21-2006, 03:07 AM
GT_Bob
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: CobraStangGT16

Jeeze I hope not...I don't even have a job yet. All I have is all I've saved up so far minus the cost of the car. Have a couple gees left over. I really would like it to be a gascap or o2 sensor or something.
It very well could be a gas cap or an O2 sensor. The computer will give you a code telling you why the CEL is on.
Old 09-26-2006, 12:45 AM
CobraStangGT16
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Smog Check Today...UPDATE!

Ok so I've been driving the car around for a few days and put a total of approx. 130 miles on it since the batt. was removed, wiping the code.

Should I have gotten the light again by now? Or do I still have some driving to do?
If I shoud've gotten it back, then what can be stopping from coming on again?

Thanks.
Old 09-26-2006, 01:35 AM
2green4red
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Smog Check Today...UPDATE!

maybe i am speaking out of school here, but if you've racked up over 100 miles and it has not come back on, maybe time to drive back and run it thru emissions?

Quick Reply: Smog Check Today...DAY THREE 300 MILES LATER! read top post