4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Is ok to call your car something its "not"

Old 09-21-2006, 11:15 PM
ericdiver
3rd Gear Member

Default Is ok to call your car something its "not"

Just wondering, i dont tell people anything about my car, but if someone goes very clean saleen i say thanks, if someone says what is it I say a special mustang, i dont say this is a real saleen, but since it has all real saleen parts and more no one can tell unless you run a vin, who cares.... however roushes would be easier to fake along with whatever else, like a kit car, if you get a old cobra kit car(1966), build it yourself and it looks just like a real cobra, can you not tell people its a cobra??? if i get a 5.4 and cobra r body kit and build it all myself can i call if a cobra R???? Now if you get a fiero and stick a ferrari body that is not the same, i understand that, but if you get a corvette and stick all zo6 gear in it, i think that person has the right to say its a zo6, I just dont get the haters and i am curious about peoples thoughts.....
Old 09-21-2006, 11:19 PM
97 5.0L
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Is ok to call your car something its "not"

I think you can do what you want. Me personaly I tell people that I put on the saleen body kit because I am proud of the body and paint work I did in my garage. But if you want to tell someone that your car is something it's not I dont see the problem since you probably have more time and money in your car.
Old 09-21-2006, 11:20 PM
72MachOne99GT
2010 Blue Ball Award Recipient

Its NOT what it isnt.. simple enough,,

but that does NOT mean at all that it isnt alot of hard work and care into the car

if people get crappy with you that youre 'copying' the Saleen, then show them the amount of money youve spent, compared to what a real one would cost, then tell em to go to hell

i think it wa Verado (over in the v6 section) that has a NICE v6, that i thought was a GT...
but damn, its a clean car, i just commented that im not a big fan of 'posing' but as long as he's not runnign around talkign **** about cars he can't beat, then its cool

1/2 the fun of owning a mustang is its appearance
Old 09-21-2006, 11:23 PM
blueherd02gt
5th Gear Member

I bought my car brand new, and it was a GT. If I could afford a saleen ,cobra, or roush I would buy one. But some guys like the "sporty" look of a clone so they roll that way, but me, I bought my GT brand new and if I have money vested in it...... it's all in the motor. To each his own. I voted no
Old 09-21-2006, 11:55 PM
JD1969
Pro. B.S. caller outer

You should be up front about what the car is. Call it a Saleen clone, but I don't think it's right to let people who ASK you about the car to think it's somthing that it is not. You have a nice car but it's not a Saleen, a regular Vette with all the Z06 stuff is NOT a real Z06, it's a clone. There is absolutly nothinbg wrong with a clone, but people need to be honest about the car really is.
Old 09-21-2006, 11:57 PM
97 5.0L
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: JD1969

You should be up front about what the car is. Call it a Saleen clone, but I don't think it's right to let people who ASK you about the car to think it's somthing that it is not. You have a nice car but it's not a Saleen, a regular Vette with all the Z06 stuff is NOT a real Z06, it's a clone. There is absolutly nothinbg wrong with a clone, but people need to be honest about the car really is.
Why? unless they are selling it what is wrong with saying it's something it's not if you put the time and money into it?
Old 09-21-2006, 11:58 PM
ben790450
I ♥ Acer

It doesnt have a saleen number. Thats that. Its not a saleen on the title. You can call it a saleen but eventually someone will see you dont have a number on your front bumper and call you out on it and then what?
Old 09-22-2006, 12:09 AM
Chopper
5th Gear Member

If it ain't got the right FACTORY numbers then it ain't a Saleen.No matter what you put on it.
Cloned Harleys ain't Harleys either.That's not to say there not as good or better but if it ain't got a vin number to back it up it's a "special construction".
Old 09-22-2006, 12:14 AM
snakeman4life
4th Gear Member

I voted no.It's one thing to put a Saleen body kit on a GT or a Cobra front bumper cover on a V6 or whatever,but when you change the badges and try to fool people into thinking it's something it's not,thats what I have a problem with.I can't understand why people do that[Cobra badges on a GT,GT badges on a V6]sort of thing,be proud of what your car is,not what it can't be.
Old 09-22-2006, 12:17 AM
ben790450
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: snakeman4life

I voted no.It's one thing to put a Saleen body kit on a GT or a Cobra front bumper cover on a V6 or whatever,but when you change the badges and try to fool people into thinking it's something it's not,thats what I have a problem with.I can't understand why people do that[Cobra badges on a GT,GT badges on a V6]sort of thing,be proud of what your car is,not what it can't be.

I dont have a v-6 b*tch! I got the cobra bumper becuase it looks sick on my car. Youd have to be retarted to think my car is a cobra. It has all the original gt badges on it. My car comes with the v-6 hood in that year. I actually wanted to take all my gt badges off and but 3.8 V-6 badges on

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Is ok to call your car something its "not"