4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

coil pack comparisons...

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2006, 04:19 PM
white 98 gt
1st Gear Member

Default coil pack comparisons...

was thinking about upgrading coil packs, plugs& wires. all stock right now. the 2 i've heard alot about are screamin demon & msd. most people i've talked to say stick with the motorcraft plugs, but have noticed some of you like the ngk tr55.(think that's the right no.)anyway, tell me what setups you have. from what i understand the aftermarket coil packs give better throttle response, better midrange power & a smoother idler. anyone care to comment?
Old 09-22-2006, 04:23 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Default RE: coil pack comparisons...

ORIGINAL: white 98 gt

was thinking about upgrading coil packs, plugs& wires. all stock right now. the 2 i've heard alot about are screamin demon & msd. most people i've talked to say stick with the motorcraft plugs, but have noticed some of you like the ngk tr55.(think that's the right no.)anyway, tell me what setups you have. from what i understand the aftermarket coil packs give better throttle response, better midrange power & a smoother idler. anyone care to comment?
I've been looking at the screamin' demon coil pack too for my V6. 10mm wires (wow) required or 9mm racing wires because of the size of spark and the duration. They've gotten good review from everything I've read and I have yet to find any negatives about them.

The NGK's have been recommended around here quite a bit for the GT. (don't know about the V6)
Old 09-29-2006, 01:27 AM
white 98 gt
1st Gear Member

anybody else?
Old 09-29-2006, 04:26 AM
Rantheman
3rd Gear Member

I am running scremin demon coil packs 99.95 for the pair
ford racing 9mm wires 79 bucks
ngk plugs

does pretty good
Old 09-29-2006, 10:24 AM
DTK
3rd Gear Member

I have seen these Granatelli's at Steeda.ca.
They sell and ship to the us as well.

Sound good to me.
Anyone got these?

This is the link.
http://www.steeda.ca/catalogue_product.asp?id=2544
Old 09-29-2006, 11:53 AM
Poobs
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: white 98 gt

Just my two cents.

From all I have read and experienced, coils wires and plugs will not net you a big increase in performance and will not improve driveability much.

I would think they could be justified on a heavily modded motor in terms of having more sturdy of an ignition system but cost wise on a street car they are not a good investement. [&o]

Bur Please do let us know how these parts work out for you
Old 09-29-2006, 12:46 PM
Deannostang
3rd Gear Member

Poops is right. Not a good investment on the high end parts, wires, etc. Not bad for smooth running on more modest parts $$. Plugs, ignition wires and coils have a much more positive effect on your engine when it is "highly" modified. I have a '98 GT vert with Accel dual coils (need two on the '98's), Ford Racing 9mm wires (great product) and e3 spark plugs that run much better than NGK in my 4.6 SOHC. As a matter of fact, I replaced NGK's that I had already installed a year earlier. NGK's are great plugs but the standard variety don't last all that long. NGK iridium or platinum, perhaps much better. e3's have a 100,000 mile warranty and are MUCH cheaper than iridiums.

Here is a link for those wild e3 plugs: www.e3sparkplugs.com

By the way, you can easily order e3 plugs from Advance Auto Parts for around $5.99 each. JC Whitney also handles them but at a $2+ premium over Advance. There are more outlets carrying e3's all the time. On Cobras, the e3's were installed free at a few tracks around the country and each car had their best run ever. The higher the output of the engine, the more they come into effect as mentioned above.