4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

01' GT ?'s

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2006, 08:02 PM
wizoforb

Default 01' GT ?'s

I never owned a Mustang before. I don't know crap about them either. Maybe specs. but thats about it. I own a 01' GT 4.6 with 34K. Smokey Grey, and Bullet rims. I plan on making two upgrades for appearance, and oblivious on what to buy, and how much it would cost to perform those tasks. Lowering about 2", and replacing the bumper skin (maybe).

What's an average cost for a bumper skin? Such as...ummm...any aftermarket skin. I have no specific one picked out atm, but I was motivated when I seen the Cobra R skin on an 03" magaine cover. I would need it painted also (assuming you could order it painted). I know the price would soar in that case. Is there an inexpensive lowering kit for mustangs with good quality? I really hate the gap between the tire, and wheel well. It's about 4". I'm sure this belongs in another category, but I'm new. Any help/opinions is appreciated.

Oh yeah.....are frame ties really necessary for just cruising, and normal driving? Why would I be told to do that first before anything else? What also sounds better....The typical Flowmaster?, or a Borla exhaust? I always thought flows sounded good. Thanks again.
Old 09-23-2006, 08:21 PM
hotrod7687
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: 01' GT ?'s

Hi welcome to the forums

http://mrbodykit.com/
^Try this site, it has lots of different body kits for your car. If you get a new bumper I would spend a little more and get a urethane bumper. The fiberglass ones are cheap, but will crack really easily.
Old 09-23-2006, 08:45 PM
ShadowDrake
5th Gear Member

You'll have a hard time picking an exhaust that you won't like. I have flows, and like them, but really wish they were louder. I love the sound of Borla too, but it costs way too much for me to swap right now.

There have been a lot of lowering questions lately, all you'll need are some springs (unless you're going with a larger drop, then you'll need caster/camber plates, and new shocks... the a-arms will no longer be parallel to the ground, so you'll need a new k-member... in order to "do it right" the entire front suspension will need to be replaced to accomodate a drop... but if you're only going less than two inches, you'll be ok).

There's a lot of bad looking body kits out there, stick with what you have for a while, it may grow on you, consider a chin spoiler... I just don't like most body kits.
Old 09-23-2006, 09:01 PM
dubarado
4th Gear Member

Eibach, and H&R make good lowering kits that'll drop you 1-2 inches... but you really won't need to drop it any further without having to do an expensive suspesion overhaul.... as for looks I'd just go with a chinspoiler too... a lot cheaper, and it really does add an aggresive stance to your GT.... exhaust wise.... I have Magnaflow Magnapacks, but beware of kits, as the fit is sorta generic (on my car they sit uneven, and bounce around, and the rear sway bar kept hitting the driver side pipe), so maybe hit up the muffler shop in town and they'll custom-do your exhaust... SLP makes some loud ones, but flows are the best bang-for-your-buck muffler out there!
Old 09-23-2006, 09:08 PM
Rusmisel01GT
5th Gear Member

Seems like everyone has been getting eibach, if you want a good stance not too low with nice ride go with the pro-kit, if you want it slammed to the tires (not literaly) go with eibach sportlines. Gonna cost about $250, depending if you isntall yourself or not on labor.

As for bumpers, you should choose between a roush (whatever stage you like the best) 99-01 cobra, or an 03-04 cobra bumper, or even a saleen looks prett good, im not a big fan of the cobra R but thats your choice, be prepared to pay $400-$500 for the bumper alone, then be prepared to pay $300 max for it to get painted.

I have weld in flows and it sounds good, sounds like everybody elses, but it sounds good.
about $300 max.

Also, if your wheel is 9" wide then slap some 275/35/17 tires on there, and if its still not good enough you can buy a 25mm (1 inch)wheel spacer... gonna cost you about $100 on www.americanmuscle.com
Old 09-24-2006, 03:40 AM
wizoforb

Thankyou much for the responses. I will research the ideas. What about the comment on the frame ties? Are they necessary? I'm thinking not...I'm just wanting to add some easy bolt on parts for permance boost so I'm more for looks than muscle. atm the tires will be the same which are 245/45ZR17. I assume 9" is stock right? I guess I couldn't go wrong with Flowmaster either. If I can't install the lowering kit then I'll have no choice, but to pay to have it done.