4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

lack of power AHHH!

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2006, 08:49 PM
dubarado
4th Gear Member

Default lack of power AHHH!

Ok so everynow and then when I get on my mustang... the motor spools up but sometimes "it" doesn't catch... then when I let off "it" lets out a nasty squeeling noise... IDK if it is my torque converter, the belt on the motor or what not... but today I checked my tranny fluid, and it's fine... It did this the first day I brought it home... I floored it with my dad in the car, and right when he said to let off, it was about to shift, so I let off prolly in mid shift, and it did the nasty squeel noise.... and then every now and then after that day it did it sometimes when I floored it... and now that I have it programmed it does it even more often.... any ideas of what could be causing this?!

Thanks!
Old 09-23-2006, 08:50 PM
dubarado
4th Gear Member

Default RE: lack of power AHHH!

O and it only had 8,800 miles when I brought it home, and I now have 11,620 on it.... If that helps! Thanks again!
Old 09-23-2006, 08:58 PM
Fryguy22
4th Gear Member

where does it sound like the squeal is coming from? If you put the car and neutral and let it idle can you hear anything? How about with the hood popped?
Old 09-23-2006, 09:08 PM
dubarado
4th Gear Member

it only does it underload and it sounds like it's coming from the front of the car... so I'm hoping it's a belt.... but would that play a part in this lack of power? (one side of me says yes, and the other side says no...I think I'm going insane from this!)
Old 09-23-2006, 09:29 PM
hotrod7687
3rd Gear Member

I wouldnt think the belt itself wouldnt cause that. Look at the a/c compressor and make sure its not locking up. that would cause the squeal from the belt slipping around it and would cause a huge drain on the motor.

With so few miles i wouldnt think it would be the transmission, but i had a torque converter go bad on me and it would seem like the engine was revving way to high for the speed i was going. Mine didnt make any noise though.
Old 09-23-2006, 09:59 PM
dubarado
4th Gear Member

THANKS!!! I never thought of it being the A/C... hmm... I guess I'll check it out!!!
Old 09-23-2006, 10:06 PM
dubarado
4th Gear Member

although it only squeels when I let off... but when it's under load it doesn't make a squeeling noise... it makes a slight belt noise like a supercharger on a lightning or something... but it slips under heavy load, like from a stop, or a slow roll... but higher up it's fine.... it only makes the squeel noise when I let off whilst under load I.E. if I let off before it shifts into second.
Old 09-23-2006, 10:11 PM
01and96stanggt
2nd Gear Member

On my 1996 mustang gt it used to do that same damn thing, never when i was driving normal but as soon as I would get on it, when it kicked into second, and second was the only gear it would do it in, it would squeal really bad, never did find out what was doing it but never really looked in to it either, drove it for 20,000 miles like that and never had a problem, it was an automatic with a shift kit by the way, always sounded like it was one of the belts though
Old 09-23-2006, 10:27 PM
korn253
3rd Gear Member

my a/c compressor makes an awful sound when i get on it, thats why i always shut off the a/c if im goin to get on it. Ive watched the compressor do it too, it seems to be from the clutch engaging at high rpm's. o yea, dont forget that if u have ur defroster on it uses the a/c compressor
Old 09-23-2006, 10:34 PM
dubarado
4th Gear Member

I have everything off... and it does it... I'll post up a vid so y'all can get an idea...gimme a few lol

Quick Reply: lack of power AHHH!