4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Dashbored Ratteling

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2006, 09:56 AM
czwalga00gt
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Dashbored Ratteling

Everyone saying its happends when the A/C is on... its the shroud outside the car. The vents that suck in air are on it. There may be different rattles.... but the one with the A/C/Vent on is the shroud outside the car.
Old 09-25-2006, 03:42 PM
laserred38
5th Gear Member

ive been told by ford (car has been to the dealer 3 times and the whole dash has been taken apart) that there is nothing you can do....i have a few...one only happens when the AC is on...which is rare because i get claustrophobic in my car and always drive with the windows down 24/7...and then there is another one near the radio which goes away if i push on the plastc surround..so that little cork mod would work for that one...unfortunately for the AC vent one i don't think there is a fix...

and as for the 05s...yea they are built a HELL of a lot better than our cars....and you know what is funny?...their build quality is actually pretty poor...so what does that say about OUR cars...lol...go sit inside an 05 and play with the switches and *****...then go sit in a honda or a newer VW...yea...and the 05s are built well??...HA...the seats are nice though....BUT...i didn't notice any rattles or squeaks when i drove my buddy's...so at least they got that fixed....and if you have a system...forget it...even more rattles come out lol
Old 09-25-2006, 04:03 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

ORIGINAL: gotboost

My dash has been rateling when i drive my car. Its happens around the center air conditioning vents. Does anyone else have this problem and what can I do to fix it?
I have an 00 V6 and had BOTH problems mentioned here (center dash vent rattle and outer cowl squeak)

Do the following to help narrow the specific location on the dash vents where its rattling: When driving and the rattle starts happening, take one finger and push along the trim panel along one side or the other of the center vents to locate the exact area where it's ratteling. It will probably be along side or just below one side (not both). Once you have that figured out, take the panel off and place some THIN single sided foam tape on the vent panel in the area where the rattle was. Now put the panel back on. Problem should be solved.

I found some stuff in at Pep Boys for his a few years ago. Its not 3M. YOu could use 3M double sided foam tape and leave the adhesive shield on it. Should work the same.

For the cowl squeak, you must remove the cowel (take of the windshield wipers) and use some self expanding foam or rubber pieces where the cowl retainers pop into the body panel to fill in the gap. The squeak is caused by excess space in the holes of the retainers that allow it to move/vibrate.