4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

possible trade in. need opinions

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2006, 10:52 AM
mattmoto441
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: possible trade in. need opinions

[:'(] just s/c your GT
Old 09-25-2006, 01:58 PM
hdawg06
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: so1o2k3

Do you mean by trade in, to a dealer or trading cars with another private owner? And does it involve any money in addition to the trade? LS1's are great but sometimes you gotta think about which one would be more reliable.
The sad thing is, the ls1 he is looking at, is probaly worth more than his Mustang. F-bodies are ugly as hell in my opinion, but Camaros are a LOT better looking than Firebirds.

If you're planning on modding the Camaro, you will have to do a 12-bolt rear-end for about 1800 because the stock one is a piece of **** when using sticky tires and will go out for sure. The engine work isn't too expensive, a lot cheaper than Mustangs, that's for sure.
Old 09-25-2006, 02:07 PM
performance_stangs97
2nd Gear Member

I am a car salesman myself, and i know for a fact that sports cars and high end SUV's are marked up the most out of all cars. The dealership you are shopping at probably give about $9,500 on trade-in for that Camaro(i pulled Black Book). Thats about $5000 markup. I would be very smart about buying this car if you are interested, i personally wouldnt pay over $10,500 for the car, that would allow them to make about $700 on the car. And if you dont want to be tanked in it (upside down) later on down the road, i would sell your car outright, they will give you about $3000 under what you could sell it to a private owner for. And yes, I go through some DETAIL when i see someone about to buy a car! Hope that helps you a little bit. Much more possibilities with the Camaro

03 Mustang GT 5 speed < 01 Camaro LS1 6 speed
Old 09-25-2006, 02:13 PM
uofipilot
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: matt123

thinking of trading my 03 gt with 27,000 miles in for an 01 z28 with 33,000. what do you guys think on this one? still not sure. but the ls1 hs so much more power out of the box. thanks
Hahaha...you said "box."

On a more serious note, I always thought that camaro's were too "hilbilly" and/or "redneck." (picture a tootless hick cruisin around in a rusted out IROC Z with straight pipes listening to guns n roses" I guess the newer ones are nice, but I'd GET A COMPARABLY PRICED (99 01) COBRA FOR SHO!

Matt
Old 09-25-2006, 02:13 PM
hdawg06
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: performance_stangs97

I am a car salesman myself, and i know for a fact that sports cars and high end SUV's are marked up the most out of all cars. The dealership you are shopping at probably give about $9,500 on trade-in for that Camaro(i pulled Black Book). Thats about $5000 markup. I would be very smart about buying this car if you are interested, i personally wouldnt pay over $10,500 for the car, that would allow them to make about $700 on the car. And if you dont want to be tanked in it (upside down) later on down the road, i would sell your car outright, they will give you about $3000 under what you could sell it to a private owner for. And yes, I go through some DETAIL when i see someone about to buy a car! Hope that helps you a little bit. Much more possibilities with the Camaro

03 Mustang GT 5 speed < 01 Camaro LS1 6 speed

Ummm...You're smoking crack. The car is probaly a $15k car, if not more. It is low miles, and the 2nd to last year.
Old 09-25-2006, 02:14 PM
Quick Shot xMLx
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: hdawg06

ORIGINAL: so1o2k3

Do you mean by trade in, to a dealer or trading cars with another private owner? And does it involve any money in addition to the trade? LS1's are great but sometimes you gotta think about which one would be more reliable.
The sad thing is, the ls1 he is looking at, is probaly worth more than his Mustang. F-bodies are ugly as hell in my opinion, but Camaros are a LOT better looking than Firebirds.

If you're planning on modding the Camaro, you will have to do a 12-bolt rear-end for about 1800 because the stock one is a piece of **** when using sticky tires and will go out for sure. The engine work isn't too expensive, a lot cheaper than Mustangs, that's for sure.
98-02 Trans Ams(especially the WS6) look wayyyyy better than a Camaro. Those LS1 camaros have that "big mouth bass" look to them. A black T/A with t-tops and the ram air hood looks sick. Of course the Mustangs still look better[8D]
Old 09-25-2006, 02:23 PM
hdawg06
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Quick Shot xMLx
98-02 Trans Ams(especially the WS6) look wayyyyy better than a Camaro. Those LS1 camaros have that "big mouth bass" look to them. A black T/A with t-tops and the ram air hood looks sick. Of course the Mustangs still look better[8D]
A good friend of mine has a Red 02 WS6. I just don't like that car. It is overdone in the front with the hood, and I would much rather have a formula or trans am. I also think that the rear end on the ws6 looks ricey. I mean the spoiler is literally 9" off the trunk, and that may be an under statement. I will take a Camaro>Firebird any day. PLUS, the Camaro is lighter than the Trans Am, and makes the same horse.
Old 09-25-2006, 02:23 PM
performance_stangs97
2nd Gear Member

yeah, it would be a $15,000 to a private owner, but in a business standpoint, they dont give **** for these cars as far as trade in. They go strictly by black book, he could get a good steal for this car, thats all im saying. They dont give a crap about how many miles it has on it, they look at model year and how much term they can get out of the car. With it being an 01 model, depending on credit, they will probably only be able to give the buyer about 4 years term through average finance companies. Which makes the payment higher
Old 09-25-2006, 02:33 PM
Dsmfighter
3rd Gear Member

It's really about what you want. I've driven my brothers z-28 around some, and i'm gonna admit... its fast! My Stang will still take it but he's just to slow out of the hole for my 4.10's. Keep in mind this is a LT1 that traps almost 5 mph high then me. A t/a or camaro is just as hill billy as a mustang. Lets face it there is no fighting about that. I say if thats what you really want, get it man. But make sure thats what you'll be happy with... cause once your stang is gone... its hard to get back.

ORIGINAL: matt123
thinking of trading my 03 gt with 27,000 miles in for an 01 z28 with 33,000. what do you guys think on this one? still not sure. but the ls1 hs so much more power out of the box. thanks
Old 09-25-2006, 02:40 PM
so1o2k3
4th Gear Member

I can't understand why so many people think the Camaros and Trans Ams look so ugly. I think they look awesome especially the LS1 WS6's with the beefy nostril looking Ram Air scoops. The F-Bodys have a lower, sharper sports car look and is a hell lot more aerodynamic than mustangs. I can't say that they look better than mustangs or not. To me they both look really good in their own way.

That 01 Z28 w/ 33k miles would be a good price if it were in mint condition. If not I wouldn't pay more than $13k for it.

Quick Reply: possible trade in. need opinions