4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

New Guy, Saying Hello

Old 07-17-2004, 08:40 PM
96GTVert

Default New Guy, Saying Hello

Hello all,

I just wanted to introduce myself, I have just picked up a 1996 Mustang GT Convertable. A4 trans, bone stock with 45,000 miles on the clock. Feels pretty healthy, and it is very clean.

I do intend to do some 1/4 mile racing with it and which is why I am here. I am going to try to get some baseline runs in it tomarrow at the track, and then let the mods begin. I'm hoping all of you on here can help me get the most for my money.

As with all project cars I know a goal is where to start and I would say my goal is low 13s high 12s with out Nitrous. Let me know whats the best way to get there.

Thanks and take care
Tim
Old 07-17-2004, 09:26 PM
jdaniel
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: New Guy, Saying Hello

Welcome to the forums, Tim.

Best way to get into the low 13's and 12's... get a blower at 8 psi. That single mod will put you there. But if you dont wanna spend that kinda money all at once then you can over time buy stuff like Long tube headers, good o/r X pipe, and straight through catback such as Magnaflow, then I would put a set of gears in it (4.10) and invest in a set of P.I. heads ported and polished with bigger stainless steel valves and P.I. intake maniflod since you have a pre 99 model stang. Also get a good Cold Air Intake such as densecharger, ( WWW.Densecharger.COM ) thats about the best you will find on the market right now. Thats about all you would need to get you into the low 13's I believe.
Old 07-17-2004, 09:35 PM
RJM02GTDrag
2nd Gear Member

Welcome to the forum, I have learned alot here from the experts. I think they will all tell you the biggest drawback to the 96 is the heads and reccomend a PI head swap to a better flowing set of heads like the 99 and up cars have. Also the intake will need attention to a bigger Maf, intake tube and upper plenum. Of course the exhaust is first on a lot of lists for performance AND sound, cat back, get rid of your catted h pipe and long tube headers are ideal. To get a 96 into the 12's on the NA motor will be expensive. Im talking all of the bolt ons I mentioned, plus UD pullies, throttle body, (70 or 75 MM) and some radical gears like 4:10 or 4:30, some kind of tuner, drag radials etc. If you do all this you may still need cams.Good luck, this should start the argument/ discussion.
Old 07-17-2004, 09:43 PM
RJM02GTDrag
2nd Gear Member

Oh and by the way dont get discouraged if alot of guys come on and say how the 96 is the slowest Mustang 4.6 and verts are slower and heavier, they still are fun, look great and go fast with enough mods. My vert is as quick as most coupes with the same mods. Also if you run below 13.5 in a vert most tracks will kick you out till you install a roll cage.
Old 07-17-2004, 09:46 PM
mdvaldosta
I ♥ Acer

the 96 is the slowest Mustang 4.6 and verts are slower and heavier

Hehe j/k welcome to the boards
Old 07-17-2004, 10:04 PM
RJM02GTDrag
2nd Gear Member

LOL, I told you that was coming!
Old 07-18-2004, 12:34 AM
96GTVert

Yea, there are always bugs with the first of anything. I guess ill just keep my head up and fix them myself.

I was unaware of the lacking performance in the 96 Heads, can you give me some info on where to get these PI heads, and Intake. I know this has probably been discussed before but just help a newbie out if you don't mind, I will be searching the site alittle bit later for more info. I do plan on doing a blower setup which one would be/is the best for my goals. I am familar with the ATI blowers but I havent seen anything for the Mustang 4.6L 2Vs.

As far as exhaust I will be doing Long tubes, X pipes (with cats), and probably a 3" catback(probably overkill). I was looking into all SLP parts but if you could recommend something better please do.

Which Densecharger would be the right one for my application?

What is out there for PCM programming, I know that with most mods you need to program for max gains. Im not a big fan of Hypertech, let me know if something better is out there.

Shift kits is something else im looking into, is there a transgo kit or something else available for the 96 Mustang.

Ill be posting my times and gains as I get them, It looks like its work for me tomarrow so the times will have to wait till next week.

Thanks for hearing me out and let me know
Take care
Tim
Old 07-18-2004, 12:50 AM
2k1gt
5th Gear Member

look around the densecharger website, they have what you need. Full length kit with pro-m maf meter. It should be around $300. or you can go without the MAF and only spend about $160.

System #5 is the $160 kit, or you can get the same kit with the MAF on the main page for $330
Old 07-18-2004, 02:20 AM
RJM02GTDrag
2nd Gear Member

As far as verts being heavy and slow I say BS! It is a few pounds that you may weigh yourself! I regularly smoke coupes and Cobras that cannot drive.
Old 07-18-2004, 03:13 AM
Mystic_Eats_Rice
1st Gear Member

Nice to have you here. Just throw in some gears, do the PI swap and free up that restrictive intake and exhaust and get rid of that stock shifter and you'll do alright. It also wouldn't hurt to buy a set of drag radials if you plan on going to the strip alot. Good Luck!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New Guy, Saying Hello