4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

First tune up, what to look for/replace

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2006, 04:05 PM
AJ06GT
5th Gear Member

Default First tune up, what to look for/replace

Alright, so you may have seen my post in the welcome forum. I just bought a 1997 Mustang GT with 77,000 miles on it. The car runs great and doesn't seem to have any problems. I had the all to common radiator/coolant light issue and figured I probably just had a bad float like everyone mentioned, however when I took a look at lunch I found that the level was just a little low so I filled it up and on the ride back to work I didn't see the light again. Also, I poked at the float with a screwdriver and it seemed to be floating just fine so I'm going to assume that that problem is solved.

Now, after taking a look around under the hood, it looks like the belt, hoses, spark plugs, and probably everything to that effect is all original and hasn't been replaced, so I want to get in there and get everything replaced with new parts. Aside from the belt, hoses and spark plugs, what kind of things should I be looking to replace at (or before) the 77,000 miles it has on it. I think that I'm planning on replacing the intake with either the K&N FIPK or the JLT RAI at the same time as well.

Also, in another side question, I could figure it out once I take it apart, but am I going to need to take off the fuel rail to get to the spark plugs? It looked pretty close and I know you guys know so I figured I'd ask.

Finally, for the things that I DO need to replace, is there a best place to go to find these parts? Any good online shops that can get me everything cheap or am I just better off saving the shipping and going to a local place.

Thanks in advance. I'm new to this car but I'm interested in learning everything I can about it. Sorry if I ask any seemingly obvious or frequently asked questions.
Old 09-25-2006, 04:10 PM
gt96stang
5th Gear Member

Default RE: First tune up, what to look for/replace

Air filter, oil, spark plugs, wires, radiator hoses, run a can of seafoam, fuel filter. You do not have to take off the fuel rails, but it is close. Make sure you take a can of compressed air and blow out all the crud out of your spark plug hole before you take out the plug.
Old 09-25-2006, 04:12 PM
Brute03
5th Gear Member

well when buying a used car, i like to assume that nothing has been replaced so go ahead and change the oil & filter, plugs, plug wires, fuel filter and air filter. you don't have to remove the fuel rail to get to the plugs, just slide the boot under it
Old 09-25-2006, 04:26 PM
AJ06GT
5th Gear Member

Oil is good and since it has the little Jiffy Lube or whatever sticker in the corner of the windshield, I assume that the previous owner never touched it himself and the filter is probably new as well. I'll take a glance at it, the oil looks new enough that if the filter was done then too then it should still be bright and shiny.

The air filter I'll definitely check and clean/replace if I don't do the intake upgrade immediately. Also, the plug wires I forgot to mention. I noticed they were Motocraft which initially made me think they had been replaced but on second thought, Motocraft IS Ford, so they probably are original too. I asked about removing the fuel rail because I know my Dad said he ended up having to remove them on their Expedition to get to the plugs and it looked close.

Also, I had heard something about Seafoam a few times, something about cleaning everything out really well, but I've never heard of it before so I'll take a look. While that cleans out the inside of the engine, the FIRST thing I need to do is get the thing to a car wash and give the engine a good clean. Knowing me and it being my new baby I'll end up with a toothbrush cleaning every little bit.

Thanks for the replies so far. Anyone have anything else to look at as well? (Really I'm just bored at work and would rather be messing with my car so this is the in-between I have to settle for )
Old 09-25-2006, 04:59 PM
II 98 GT II
4th Gear Member

With a sparkplug socket and a couple different length extensions, you should be able to get all the plugs out without removing the fuel rails. For the rear cylinder on the passenger side, I had to stick the sparkplug socket in from one side and then thread the extension into the socket from the top. It was tricky at first, but you'll get it.

Nice car! Looks a lot like mine. New rims soon?
Old 09-25-2006, 05:04 PM
AJ06GT
5th Gear Member

Definitely, the original rims are just too boring. I don't even begin to know what I want though.